Okay, Iger's Impressing Me

KevinPage

Not to rain on the parade, but do you think most CM's care if they put something on the Main Street window?

The real way to say THANK YOU to your employees (at ANY company) is through pay increases and a better working environment.

Saying THANKS on a window doesn't do anything for the employee. If it goes along with many other incentives & positive things, then it's a nice touch. But by itself is pointless.

:D :D :D

lebeau

Original Poster
KevinPage said:
Not to rain on the parade, but do you think most CM's care if they put something on the Main Street window?

The real way to say THANK YOU to your employees (at ANY company) is through pay increases and a better working environment.

Saying THANKS on a window doesn't do anything for the employee. If it goes along with many other incentives & positive things, then it's a nice touch. But by itself is pointless.

:D :D :D

We're working a ton of overtime this week at my job. To show their appreciation, my employers handed out mini 100-Grand candy bars. It is but one of many meaningless gestures.

However, I have worked at companies that do not make any meaningless gestures and I know that those little candy bars and windows are not so meaningless as they may at first seem.

Sure, it would be nice to give everyone big pay increases and benefits. But realisticly that can't always happen. That's when the occassional small acknoweldgement in the form of a window dressing or a candy bar might make a small but important difference in an employee's morale.

wannab@dis

Well, I can only say that I hope we can expect more from Iger than window dressing. :lol:

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Actually, I'm willing to give him a chance. If he can show in a short amount of time that he means business, then he should have the reins for a while. I'll get flamed for this, but I hope he spends more time looking at things NOT in the parks.

The parks are the best part of Disney's business right now and they need to keep it that way, but, they need to spend some time and effort on the networks, movies, animation, etc.

KevinPage

lebeau said:
We're working a ton of overtime this week at my job. To show their appreciation, my employers handed out mini 100-Grand candy bars. It is but one of many meaningless gestures.

Geesh, you would think they could spring for a NORMAL sized candy bar. :lol:

Of course, people can't receive pay raises constantly, and nice gestures do help, to a certain extent. But this window dressing would have to be coupled with a few other gestures for it to carry ANY weight.

Assume this is the only thing that is done, given the size that WDW is and how many CM's it employees, who is going to care or feel that is "special" to them? I'm sure alot of them will have no idea this is even being done. This is pure and simple a PR move. Not a bad thing, but let's call a spade a spade. :D

lebeau

Original Poster
KevinPage said:
Geesh, you would think they could spring for a NORMAL sized candy bar. :lol:

No kidding.

And I'm low-carb dieting anyway so I can only look at the shiny wrapper and salivate.

Centrifugeer

WDWCP said:
On that same note, I'm sure Eisner got lots of credit for things (good and bad) that weren't really his doing as well over the past 20 years...
Something to keep in mind is that CEOs are not necessarily the originators of ideas. They get the ideas passed along to them or pitched to them. A great CEO recognizes the good ideas and blesses them.

Time will tell if Iger is a great, or even a good CEO, but he's making a lot of good decisions thus far.

Thrawn

Account Suspended
Centrifugeer said:
Something to keep in mind is that CEOs are not necessarily the originators of ideas. They get the ideas passed along to them or pitched to them. A great CEO recognizes the good ideas and blesses them.

Time will tell if Iger is a great, or even a good CEO, but he's making a lot of good decisions thus far.

How do you know he's made ANY decisions?!?!? He technically is not CEO yet, Eisner is. If you are just giving credit of the "good decisions" to the person in charge, thats Eisner.

wannab@dis

Thrawn said:
How do you know he's made ANY decisions?!?!? He technically is not CEO yet, Eisner is. If you are just giving credit of the "good decisions" to the person in charge, thats Eisner.

Agreed. I think everyone is jumping to conclusions that Iger is doing anything other than being a shadow of Eisner and learning the ropes. I highly doubt that he's been instrumental in ANY change thus far.

Thrawn

Account Suspended
And while I'm on the subject, Eisner has always worked best in a low-stress environment. How much more low stress can you get then to know you are going to be basically retired in a few months and you are going around promoting a book about something that you've loved all your life?

Eisner isn't perfect, he's made a lot of bad decisions. But lets not make Iger the second Walt Disney quite yet. He has to officially be in charge for a couple months before you loonies can crown him that. I'd love to see him succeed, but heaping praise on him at this point is just plain out of line. We don't know if he has done everything, nothing, or anywhere in between. Lets wait and see how things go before we all give him a big group hug and sing Kumbahya.

Magic Maker

VERY IMPORTANT :) PLEASE READ.

Now this is a great move. I like it. However, there is already a Casting window. It is above the Confectionary right next to the Main Street Cinema is a window that reads "Casting: We've got some big shoes to fill". I may be off by a word or two. It is a cool window that makes me smile.

dave2822

And you will never know who deserves credit / blame for anything in Iger's run, just like even with the sacred text of Disney War we still speculate who deserves what in Eisner's reign. We need to decrease the amount of finger-pointing and treat TWDC as a team

And just like any team would, when all else fails fire the coach! Thaty'll convince the public you're taking a step in the right direction ;)

Thrawn

Account Suspended
dave2822 said:
And you will never know who deserves credit / blame for anything in Iger's run, just like even with the sacred text of Disney War we still speculate who deserves what in Eisner's reign. We need to decrease the amount of finger-pointing and treat TWDC as a team

And just like any team would, when all else fails fire the coach! Thaty'll convince the public you're taking a step in the right direction ;)

Says the guy with the Iger avatar and quote.

No one was pointing fingers. Actually the only finger pointers were Iger supporters, like yourself, trying to grab credit when it might not be due. Its true that we may never know what decisions are made by Iger or Eisner or Joe Blow from accounting. The point is, lets not give credit to any one person unless we DO know.

dave2822

Thrawn said:
Says the guy with the Iger avatar and quote.

No one was pointing fingers. Actually the only finger pointers were Iger supporters, like yourself, trying to grab credit when it might not be due. Its true that we may never know what decisions are made by Iger or Eisner or Joe Blow from accounting. The point is, lets not give credit to any one person unless we DO know.

The key here would be like yourself. Yes, I support Iger, I think he has a great business mind, like Eisner, and has the potential to be a very good CEO, he seems more able to extend himself to people, and not let ego play a role. We know that he has something to do with the halting of SaveDisney and with the talks with Jobs, his name has been everywhere and part of the reason for both of the circumstances in the first place was failure to communicate / extreme detest regarding Eisner. We have heard how much easier to negotiatie with it is with Iger than Eisner.

This thread seems to have a lot of people whom are not on the Iger boat, not Iger praisers as you so deemed them, but are saying this is all a "step in the right direction." If anything, I was only agreeing with what you said, that we don't know who is to get credit for what:

dave2822 said:
And you will never know who deserves credit / blame for anything in Iger's run

Thrawn

Account Suspended
I would doubt the talks with Jobs have anything at all to do with Iger. The current state of the whole Pixar mess is that Disney did not push The Incredibles on DVD like they normally would have, as a type of a bargaining threat of "this is what you'll get without us". TWDC knew that would get Pixar's attention. Now they'll work out a deal.

no2apprentice

What would be interesting to me is to know what decisions go by Iger's desk and which don't. A new glass front on Main Street? Maybe it wasn't his idea, but something like that...would he sign off on it?

imagineersrock

Thrawn said:
I would doubt the talks with Jobs have anything at all to do with Iger. The current state of the whole Pixar mess is that Disney did not push The Incredibles on DVD like they normally would have, as a type of a bargaining threat of "this is what you'll get without us". TWDC knew that would get Pixar's attention. Now they'll work out a deal.
Not sure I get what you mean regarding the "Incredibles DVD threat"

...weren't the DVD sales for the Incredibles phenominal? How is that a threat?
"this is what you'll get without us... great sales?"

Wouldn't this just prove to Pixar that their films are successful enough to stand on their own without the aid of Disney's marketing?

correct me if I am wrong, perhaps I simply misunderstood your argument... I just don't see how that would justify Pixar coming back to Disney.

wannab@dis

no, you missed that one.

the dvd sales were well below Pixar estimates and they had to release a lower earnings report due to the poor performance.

Thrawn

Account Suspended
imagineersrock said:
Not sure I get what you mean regarding the "Incredibles DVD threat"

...weren't the DVD sales for the Incredibles phenominal? How is that a threat?
"this is what you'll get without us... great sales?"

Wouldn't this just prove to Pixar that their films are successful enough to stand on their own without the aid of Disney's marketing?

correct me if I am wrong, perhaps I simply misunderstood your argument... I just don't see how that would justify Pixar coming back to Disney.

No, the Incredibles DVD sales were awful.

imagineersrock

Thrawn said:
No, the Incredibles DVD sales were awful.
Then I stand corrected, and your origional post had a really good point then, Thrawn. :)

...odd, I can't imagine why I was under the impression they did so well. :veryconfu

Centrifugeer

Thrawn said:
iirc, at the Townhall meeting that I attended some months back, and at which both Iger and Eisner were at in person, Eisner announced he was stepping back to allow Iger in on the decision-making process.

I'm an Imagineer, so that's how I know.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom