Ok, SoCal's, or should I say those in their 5th generation or later, do you remember 5 cent ice cream cones?

Darkbeer1

Original Poster

Off Topic, but since this is where the SoCal folks hang out. I am talking about the scoops of Ice Cream that came from unique cylinder shaped scoops, awesome LA County Fair Gold Medal winning Ice Cream. The one you went to, even though it was in a drug store. Yes, I am talking about Thrifty Brand Ice Cream...

Well, change is coming, and you will find the brand soon at your local Albertson's/Safeway, and the Rite Aid might get switched back Sav-On....

Good LA Times article at the link..

And sigh, a scoop is now $1.99.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-thrifty-ice-cream-20180518-htmlstory.html

For those visting, there is a Rite-Aid with an Ice Cream Counter at Brookhurst and Ball, just west of the Disneyland Resort.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
There used to be a Thrifty down the street (that sold ice cream) which was turned into a Rite-Aid. After the change over to Rite-Aid they continued to sell Thrifty ice cream until they shut down the store a couple months ago. Getting a cone at Thrifty was something I looked forward to as a kid during the summer.

The Mur

The ice cream was never really good but you couldn't beat the price - $0.05 single, $0.10 double and $0.15 triple scoop!

D.Silentu

I'm sure it was more by the time I was a kid, but getting a Thrifty Ice Cream cone was a family tradition. We'd grab a scoop and walk down main street. Incidentally, the Thrifty is a Starbucks now.

NobodyElse

I remember those, but we tended to get the "less regulated size" scoops from Sav-On. Usually French Vanilla, or that new-fangled Mint Chocolate Chip. :)

Nonsuch

...Off Topic, but since this is where the SoCal folks hang out. I am talking about the scoops of Ice Cream that came from unique cylinder shaped scoops, awesome LA County Fair Gold Medal winning Ice Cream. The one you went to, even though it was in a drug store. Yes, I am talking about Thrifty Brand Ice Cream...
Thrifty was right down the street (60s/70s SF Bay Area), so I have fond memories of those cylindrical ice creams.
I had no idea the Rite Aid still sells Thrifty Ice Cream, might need to get one...

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom