ok, now what.........

tractorm3

Original Poster
i posted a thread some time ago about all the negative things i have herd about the internships at the WDW but also ive seen the positive side so now i am more then willing to try these internships bc i person that liek disney as much as me would do well there. and i have come to these conclusions

~you work more for the WDW and the perks then the actual pay
~the places we stay are pretty good and roomates can be both good and bad
~dress codes are im place but nothing over board on the rules
~the spare time can be used for bad or good, drinking or spending time around florida and umlimited admission to the park

now whats my next step? how do i take a semester off from school to head down there. i was going to view the e-presentation and take the phone interview bc the presentation doesnt come near my campus. then it will be up to them. right?

also what sort of things to other people do there? im going to try for mechanical engineering but i dont think they will ahve me work on splash mountain my first time. so rguardless of what you went for what sort of things have you all done? and how many walked away with job offers?

juan

many of the internships require being an alumnus of the College Program
also, nearly all positions have been filled for fall

check out DisneyCareers.com for more information on positions

tractorm3

Original Poster
I was not planning on doing it for fall, because its too soon for me to plan it out. so i have to go through the college program then i can become and intern? sounds good still lookin for what any body reguardless of major does there for a job and how many have come back for job offers?

SFOG

I was not planning on doing it for fall, because its too soon for me to plan it out. so i have to go through the college program then i can become and intern? sounds good still lookin for what any body reguardless of major does there for a job and how many have come back for job offers?

Some PIs require that you have been in the College Program, others don't. I have never been in the CP or worked in any way at WDW, but was still offered a position for this fall.

The best thing for you to do is check out the website. If an internship posting says that you must be a CP alum under the requirements section, then you most likely won't get the position if you apply having not gone through the CP. However, some posting say nothing about being a CP alum, or some (like mine) list it under "desired qualifications"--not required, just preferred.

You wrote about doing the e-presentation because no one is coming to your school. As far as I know, there is no such thing as an e-presentation for Professional Internships. I believe that is for the College Program. These are two totally different programs. I don't know much about the College Program, but I beleive that CPers work in more "front line" Cast Member positions. On the other hand, PIs are based in more office-related or management positions. Also, I think that CPs have to go to classes while PIs don't (not sure about that one, but that's how I understand it).

I hope this helps your confusion. If you want to research this stuff yourself, here are the sites:

Scar Junior

Some PIs require that you have been in the College Program, others don't. I have never been in the CP or worked in any way at WDW, but was still offered a position for this fall.

The best thing for you to do is check out the website. If an internship posting says that you must be a CP alum under the requirements section, then you most likely won't get the position if you apply having not gone through the CP. However, some posting say nothing about being a CP alum, or some (like mine) list it under "desired qualifications"--not required, just preferred.

You wrote about doing the e-presentation because no one is coming to your school. As far as I know, there is no such thing as an e-presentation for Professional Internships. I believe that is for the College Program. These are two totally different programs. I don't know much about the College Program, but I beleive that CPers work in more "front line" Cast Member positions. On the other hand, PIs are based in more office-related or management positions. Also, I think that CPs have to go to classes while PIs don't (not sure about that one, but that's how I understand it).

I hope this helps your confusion. If you want to research this stuff yourself, here are the sites:

Good post.

The only thing that I can add to this is that the OP might benefit from doing the CP first. While the CP is (in most cases) no longer a requirement for a PI, the CP gives you a chance to network and get to meet people who have influence in the PI decisions, or meet people who know people who have influence in the PI decisions... aka one of Disney's favorite words: Networking!

I know people, and know of people (such as SFOG) who have never done the CP but have been offered a PI. This happens, but it is not very common. Props to SFOG because (unless they got a PI in an uncommon WDW field) they must have been an outstanding candidate. Also - since you are interested in engineering - the CP offers a relatively new class that is only available to engineering students. You are taught by people who have worked on attractions we all love. The advantage here is that if you can get on their good side they might help you get a PI or (as was the case for some people I know) you might be recommended for an open position in some aspect of engineering. Note: just because you are an engineer does not make you a disney imagineer (aspiring engineers often fail to realize this).

With all this in mind, I need to be completely honest. The few posts you've made on this board have been riddled with spelling, grammatical and punctuational errors. It happens from time to time, and there is a good chance that I have made a few errors while writing this post.

However... you need to realize that even though this is an internet message board, this is more than just 'IM talk' with your friends. There are dozens of people on this website who can influence your career one way or the other... thus, you all should know that - just like an interview - small things matter. :wave:

tractorm3

Original Poster
Well I am in a bit of trouble then. Someone had mentioned my spelling before and I did not pay much attention but since you are the second person to say something I will do better. Much of my post have been done in the few minets i have between class so it was more important that i get it done rather than have it gramatically correct.

I thank you all for these posts. I am learning alot of what I have to do and educating myself of how to do it and what it takes.

Just keep them comming the more I learn the better a choice I can make working for WDW. That is if I have what they are looking for!

SFOG

Also - since you are interested in engineering - the CP offers a relatively new class that is only available to engineering students. You are taught by people who have worked on attractions we all love. The advantage here is that if you can get on their good side they might help you get a PI or (as was the case for some people I know) you might be recommended for an open position in some aspect of engineering.

With Scar Junior's information about engineering classes for the CP, it would seem to me to be a "no-brainer" for you to go through the CP first.

Networking, contacts; contacts, networking!!

Note: just because you are an engineer does not make you a disney imagineer (aspiring engineers often fail to realize this).

This is a great point. More than anything else, Imagineers are creative designers who plan and design the show elements, flow of people, and overall feel of the parks. Many of them have engineering backgrounds to help them take their ideas and make them a reality.

If that's you, then great! If you don't know, then do your CP, network to find out about any PIs in Imagineering, and try to do a PI in Imagineering. That's what the CP and PIs are for in a sense, giving us real-world experience to help us determine what in the "world" we want to do.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom