OK, Mama Melrose's - your honest opinion

JIMINYCR

Weve dined there multiple times on our trips. Its been one of the dining spots where weve had both good and bad experiences. The food qualoity and service we received never was bad enough to keep us away and just good enough to make us want to try again. Its a restaurant that if youve never experienced it before, its worth trying out. Its just not at the top of my dining choices.

TheGuyThatMakesSwords

I'm not saying that being from NJ makes me an expert on good Italian food, but it does mean that I'm not wrong.

We love Mama Melrose's-- we go about once a trip. Each time we book MM, I always get a twinge of "are we sure we want to book this place when we can get the same food in the strip mall down the street next to the bagel shop and Kohl's" but we always have a good meal and are glad we went. They have a wood oven I think so the restaurant always smells good. I got the polenta cake last trip which was delicious but you can't go wrong with the parmesans or flatbreads.

(Laughing - not why you think....) :).

I'm a West Coast SF Italian - Sicilian :). Isn't this where we are supposed to fight over traditional food? :). ALL of my relatives did, with the East Coast side.... from about 1940 on :). But seriously? Give Il Mulino, Swan, a shot.... One of the great things they do is to bring in younger folks from Italy & employ 'em :). Try the "SPAGHETTI AI FRUTTI DI MARE" :).....

Oh - menu link :).

https://www.swandolphinrestaurants.com/menus/pdf/ilmulino-dinner.pdf

Kristopher Rannells

We have eaten there the last 3 trips and have always been extremely satisfied. As stated, the steak is my favorite and outside of Sula's or Yachtsman's is our favorite on property at a much lower cost. All the other dishes we have had there have been above average to very good as well, but the steak stands on it's own.

harryk

I have to say I really like Mama Melrose. I work with food and I have to say, I don't think it's like Olive Garden, I'd say it's above. OG. I will normally get the "special" if there is a special - also, I very rarely would order the chicken parm or spaghetti and meatballs because to me, that's a preferred make-at-home thing.
Have dined there many, many times over the past 30 some years and never had a bad experience. Highly recommend Mama's.

danyoung56

Taking opinions from complete strangers is kind of silly.....

I'm not sure why you would think this. Sites like this one are all about people presenting their opinions. True, someone should not base their decisions solely on the input of one poster. But looking at a whole group of opinions can help someone decide if the restaurant/attraction/show will be to their liking.

As to the "complete strangers" thing, I haven't met a single person that posts to this site, but I feel I know some of them very well. Even cantankerous old farts like Hockey89 can provide value in his opinions. We disagree a lot, but I think we've become pretty good online friends.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
My wife and I have enjoyed Mamma Melroses' for quite a few years. It's not Olive Garden, nor is it whatever frozen snapshot in time exists somewhere in the North East as the result of episodic immigration and subsequent modification to fit locally available ingredients.

Hockey89

I'm not sure why you would think this. Sites like this one are all about people presenting their opinions. True, someone should not base their decisions solely on the input of one poster. But looking at a whole group of opinions can help someone decide if the restaurant/attraction/show will be to their liking.

As to the "complete strangers" thing, I haven't met a single person that posts to this site, but I feel I know some of them very well. Even cantankerous old farts like Hockey89 can provide value in his opinions. We disagree a lot, but I think we've become pretty good online friends.
hey hey hey.... I'm 37

HouCuseChickie

We've only eaten there once. The steaks DH and I ordered were surprisingly good, but everything else was mediocre at best. I'm really critical when it comes to Italian food and nothing was wow or would make me want to go back; however, it wasn't awful either...and much better than some of the other TS food we've had at WDW.

sxeensweet

Love a little Disney every day!! ;)
Agreed completely... You put it in the North End of Boston where I'm from it would close in a week....
That Is where my Italian side of the family is from and sorry but I disagree we love it and have had some awesome Italian food on the east coast too. All been delicious. MM is NOTHING like Olive Garden, but I do not ever order lasagna or spaghetti and meatballs etc etc or plain items like that at any Italian restaurant being I like homemade better of those items. So maybe those saying it was like Olive Garden had items like that frankly no Italian restaurant usually makes up to my high standard for lasagna and spaghetti, chicken or eggplant parm, etc. We love MM and will continue to go. ;)

SeaCastle

Let's all keep in mind MM is what it is - Disney's take on a hole in the wall Italian restaurant you can find anywhere. Depending on who you ask the restaurant may or may not be up to par to that standard. This is not in the ballpark of gourmet or "real" Italian food (whatever that is to you) you can find in North Beach or North End or Lower Manhattan , etc.

Hockey89

That Is where my Italian side of the family is from and sorry but I disagree we love it and have had some awesome Italian food on the east coast too. All been delicious. MM is NOTHING like Olive Garden, but I do not ever order lasagna or spaghetti and meatballs etc etc or plain items like that at any Italian restaurant being I like homemade better of those items. So maybe those saying it was like Olive Garden had items like that frankly no Italian restaurant usually makes up to my high standard for lasagna and spaghetti, chicken or eggplant parm, etc. We love MM and will continue to go. ;)
They don't even finish the sauce with the pasta at the end... They cook the pasta... Plate it and add the sauce... That is not how you cook proper Italian pasta dishes.... I could post pic after pic showing that... Sorry, that is pathetic...

danyoung56

I not only don't know - I DON'T CARE! If people want to like Mama Melrose, let 'em like it. You don't, and you've said your piece. Seems like you won't be happy till everyone says "I guess I was wrong when I said I like MM!"

MightyMouse

We went just over a year ago and had quite an enjoyable and memorable meal. My DD was 4yrs at the time:

Waiter: "Would you care for an ice cream Sundae?"
DD4: "No, I want it today!"

Ah, kids. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom