OK, I'll ask ..

The Empress Lilly

Thanks you worded this better than I did...I'm friggin perplexed.
I'm as perplexed as you are. They actually sell t-shirts commemorating that you can buy those very same special commemoration t-shirts?

What? :confused:

Is this a brilliant study in postmodern self-referentialism or just inane idiocy?

hein.gif

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
I'm pretty disappointed that most of the limited time magic stuff is all about stuff people can buy. It would be more magical with some free stuff (even a button), or shows. With all of Disney's creativity you'd think they could come up with some better experiences.

zurj

I'm pretty disappointed that most of the limited time magic stuff is all about stuff people can buy. It would be more magical with some free stuff (even a button), or shows. With all of Disney's creativity you'd think they could come up with some better experiences.
I agree. I was thinking LTM was about something magical you could get for a limited time only for no extra charge... You know, to lure you to the parks. Maybe if they were giving away free tshirt for a limited time only to the first 2500 guests in one park each day, or something fun like that. But not, "come buy this limited time only tshirt for a magical 150% markup"

JonUWStout

When I was a cast member I always thought it was MY job to create limited time magic. Like getting kids' autographs (kids loved this), asking kids disney trivia while they waited for parades. Stuff like that. Asking someone to buy a t-shirt seems like a very desperate move to get some cash flow. Like others have said if they really want limited time magic bring spectromagic for a week. Do Sorcery in the Sky at DHS for a couple weeks in addition to fantasmic. Bring back tapestry at epcot for a while. To me, this is limited magic for those of us who have seen the parks over the years and seen stuff that we love go away.

I_heart_Tigger

When I was a cast member I always thought it was MY job to create limited time magic. Like getting kids' autographs (kids loved this), asking kids disney trivia while they waited for parades. Stuff like that. Asking someone to buy a t-shirt seems like a very desperate move to get some cash flow. Like others have said if they really want limited time magic bring spectromagic for a week. Do Sorcery in the Sky at DHS for a couple weeks in addition to fantasmic. Bring back tapestry at epcot for a while. To me, this is limited magic for those of us who have seen the parks over the years and seen stuff that we love go away.

Yup...when I was a CM there was a program called "Take 5" where every CM was expected to take 5 minutes out of their day to create a magical memory for a guest. This wasn't one of the "themes" that run for a limited time it was part of your job. You always had a few standby's that you could use and also tried to get creative coming up with things.

I worked on the Woodcart in Canada and I used to ask kids if they could dance and if they said they could we headed over to the Off Kilter stage where we were invited on stage to dance for one song.

I also got the CM's in the cave in Canada to chat up a family and find out their names. When the family went into the theatre, the CM radio'd the names to me and I engraved bracelets and keychains for them and met them outside the theatre when the movie was over.

It was all little stuff but people were so surprised and thrilled to be singled out and made to feel special. That's Limited Time Magic - not creating overpriced merchandise to sell.

gccgrad1996

I saw this posted as a Limited Time Magic special and almost choked on my lunch. This is really scraping the bottom of the dung heap. Besides being a horrible promotion, they actually made a week where we can buy tshirts??? Tshirts!!!! Seriously, this is limited time magic??

I completely agree. I am so worried that my trip in July is going to have something dumb like this. We are checking in on the 7th the last day of the Fourth of July week and it seems like the week after a big celebration is pretty lame. Well at least we will get one neat day.

litaljohn

while I agree this is kind of weak, it's the perfect time for something very small. if you went to disney right now you still have the flower and garden festival, you still have the spring trolley shows, and you have this months limited Mickey ears as well (strawberry if I'm not mistake ) yeah they are little things, but you have quite a few. in that same token I don't expect much considering I'll be down for star wars weekends, where most effort and promotion will be going. it's really hard to complain right now about the ltm it's when there is nothing at all happening and you still just get a t shirt truck that people should really have things to complain about.

Prince-1

while I agree this is kind of weak, it's the perfect time for something very small. if you went to disney right now you still have the flower and garden festival, you still have the spring trolley shows, and you have this months limited Mickey ears as well (strawberry if I'm not mistake ) yeah they are little things, but you have quite a few. in that same token I don't expect much considering I'll be down for star wars weekends, where most effort and promotion will be going. it's really hard to complain right now about the ltm it's when there is nothing at all happening and you still just get a t shirt truck that people should really have things to complain about.

I respect your opinion BUT if this is the year long promotion that they have for us then every week should be at least something at least interesting and not just a truck selling t-shirts. Maybe next week we can get free napkins with every purchase of any food item anywhere in The World.

I_heart_Tigger

I respect your opinion BUT if this is the year long promotion that they have for us then every week should be at least something at least interesting and not just a truck selling t-shirts. Maybe next week we can get free napkins with every purchase of any food item anywhere in The World.

Will the napkins be plain or printed because if they have Disney themed printing on them I may have to change the dates of my June Trip to attend Napkin Week.

ShookieJones

We need time for things to happen.
I'm as perplexed as you are. They actually sell t-shirts commemorating that you can buy those very same special commemoration t-shirts?

What? :confused:

Is this a brilliant study in postmodern self-referentialism or just inane idiocy?

hein.gif

It's a brilliant, inane, idiotic, postmodern, self-referencing, marketing ploy that will most likely have hoards and hoards of uninformed Disney Newbs (and probably a few vets like us) begging Disney to take their money.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Next week you can swim trunks at the golf cart and the trunks will commemorate the buying of said swim trunks at the Disney golf cart. This will be followed the the LTM "crown jewel" - The ability to purchase head bands at the Disney helicopter and this time the head bands will commemorate Country Bear Jamboree to mix it up a bit.

litaljohn

I'd like to see a t shirt memorial letting us know we can no longer purchase the previous weeks t shirts. put the truck on a tomb stone with the week it existed, make the truck have four flat tires, maybe have the hood open with smoke coming out.

yensid67

Yup...when I was a CM there was a program called "Take 5" where every CM was expected to take 5 minutes out of their day to create a magical memory for a guest. This wasn't one of the "themes" that run for a limited time it was part of your job. You always had a few standby's that you could use and also tried to get creative coming up with things.

I worked on the Woodcart in Canada and I used to ask kids if they could dance and if they said they could we headed over to the Off Kilter stage where we were invited on stage to dance for one song.

I also got the CM's in the cave in Canada to chat up a family and find out their names. When the family went into the theatre, the CM radio'd the names to me and I engraved bracelets and keychains for them and met them outside the theatre when the movie was over.

It was all little stuff but people were so surprised and thrilled to be singled out and made to feel special. That's Limited Time Magic - not creating overpriced merchandise to sell.

Well said! I too remember the TAKE 5 initiative when I worked there too! Loved getting each side of the parade routes to have 'competitions' against each other while we waited for the parades! I miss WDW!:(

Prince-1

Will the napkins be plain or printed because if they have Disney themed printing on them I may have to change the dates of my June Trip to attend Napkin Week.

Due to budget costs the napkins will only be store bought BUT they will be stamping them with a classic Mickey head that you can purchase at the Art of Disney.

MaxsDad

I am laughing at myself now. It appears I did not read the headlines closely enough. I thought it said Disney Truck STOP T shirt. I pictured one of those popular, faux 1970's, pre faded, touristy shirts, with maybe some vintage logos, etc.

How bad is it that that is what I was expecting, yet I am still let down by the truth?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom