ok, i searched, I failed... how much do these parks make???

teebin

Original Poster
All I could find was 31 billion for the Disney company as a whole which includes movies, tv, ABC tv, parks, merchandise etc. I searched google to its bones... could not find how much WDW world makes annually unto itself. More specifically, I could not find out how much each WDW park makes unto itself. Any shareholders here? Is it even broken down that much? Any of you diehards have firm numbers for a particular year?

JML42691

The only people that actually know the approximate figures (the ones that aren't estimated by non-employees), are the ones who get paid not to tell anybody. Disney would not leak this info out as a company like Universal could break the area income down to specific areas and use that info to compete with Disney. Universal does similar things with their figures as to keeping them quiet and hidden.

Sorry to burst your bubble.:(

mathew-westfall

According the the investor site, Parks & Resorts revenue was $2,446,000,000, yes that is 2 billion for the Quarter ending March 31, 2007. Net income was 254 million for the same quarter.

Last fiscal year Parks & Resorts was 9.9 billion in revenue with 1.5 billion operating income.

That is about as close as you can get unless you are privy to that information as a Disney Cast Member.

teebin

Original Poster
The only people that actually know the approximate figures (the ones that aren't estimated by non-employees), are the ones who get paid not to tell anybody. Disney would not leak this info out as a company like Universal could break the area income down to specific areas and use that info to compete with Disney. Universal does similar things with their figures as to keeping them quiet and hidden.

Sorry to burst your bubble.:(

No burst bubble. I wondered if this might be the case. I talked with a Disney Imagineer guy about general stuff one day (true, but being vague to protect him) and he was very specific about how Disney analizes the competition and price theoretically paid for a so called "e-ticket" at other non-disney parks. He went on... but I won't digress... but his digressions were so interesting and eye opening.

teebin

Original Poster
According the the investor site, Parks & Resorts revenue was $2,446,000,000, yes that is 2 billion for the Quarter ending March 31, 2007. Net income was 254 million for the same quarter.

Last fiscal year Parks & Resorts was 9.9 billion in revenue with 1.5 billion operating income.

That is about as close as you can get unless you are privy to that information as a Disney Cast Member.

Wild, I once knew a Matt Westfall from Maine.... start a thread and who knows what one will find.

teebin

Original Poster

Wait... they netted only 254 million in a quarter from 2 billion from the same quarter? Meaning, they spend a kazillion to make a million?

mathew-westfall

Wait... they netted only 254 million in a quarter from 2 billion from the same quarter? Meaning, they spend a kazillion to make a million?

Eh, most companies are pretty content with a 10% operating margin. Try the grocery business that runs on 1-2% operating margin. My business would kill for a 3-4%!!!

Disneyfanman

That's probably correct. The margins at the US operating parks far exceed DLP (Disney has changed the financial model out there a lot, but they don't actually own the park outright anymore), and that resort is really just beginning to break even anyway. In TDL, they are paid a "consultant and licensing fee", but don't own that facility either. HKDL.............? Disney owns part of the resort, but it will be awhile before they really make anything from it. They collect pure profit from that one.

Operating Theme Parks is a huge capital, low margin, but decent cash flow business. There are only really two companies that have done it well on a large scale......Disney and Cedar Fair. They have wildly different scales, but the best margins in the business. Universal generates cash flow, but not much income from its parks. The current management seems to want to grow that business, but that could change again with the wind. Busch makes money, but I have understood that internally they have had really strong support from a few of their chief executives too.

So huge investment, low margin, and good CF. You have to have a really strong stomach to be a public company and be able to run theme parks. Disney will probably make 1.5 billion dollars income from their parks division, but they have to really work hard to get that. Really hard.

Of course, those numbers don't include the "synergy" of the licensed merchandise, or the value of self promotion on other properties like Pirates. If you tried to put a dollar amt. on that stuff, you would find out that having the theme parks generates a TON of income across the company.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom