ok friends, time to get all that i can out of this board of Disexperts!

cynic710

I am going back to the world! We will be travelling november 4-11 2014 (tuesday-tuesday).

my group includes:
me
wife
child (4)
child (2)
my mom

best friend
his wife
child (4)
child (1)
his mother

we intend to stay at the art of animation suites (1 for each family) and for the first time take advantage oft he basic dining plan. we will be getting 4 day base-park tickets. the two extra days of playing will be at universal.

so with that info in mind, i am open to any advice, tips or anything to get the most out of this trip. we all went together last in 2011, and my family has gone over 15 times, so the advice im looking for is with the dining plan, how im going to get to universal with no rental car, and tips on saving money on this trip.

-anybody know when free dining plans happen next year?
-cheapest way to get my group to universal on those two days?
-deals i may be missing?

thanks!

Disney Shib

You can take a cab to Universal from any WDW resort but it's not cheap. Most cab companies offer a flat rate between WDW resorts and Universal. Call a few different ones in the yellow pages a few days before and compare and contrast. I think we ended up renting a van service and paid $15 per person per way for a van full of 8 people.

Make your ADR's as soon as you can! Also, if you plan on staying at AoA and in one of the family suites, I recommend the Lion King ones. They are themed really cute and located very close to both the bus stops, main building and main pool.

I also recommend that you add the hopper option to your tickets. You may think that right now that a full day at one park is enough but it's nice to go back to the hotel, take a swim and head out to a different location for dinner. Give it a try. :)

Upvote 0

Weather_Lady

My recommendation has more to do with "group organization" than touring. Before you leave, have a planning meeting with all of the adults who are going to nail down: (1) their personal priorities for the trip (e.g., "if I don't get to see the Haunted Mansion/get a pedicure/take a nap/visit a water park, etc., my trip will be RUINED"); (2) their limitations (kids' naptimes, height for height-restricted attractions, unable to do rollercoasters or spinning rides, etc.) and (3) their personal vacation touring style (early riser? night owl? fast walker? shopaholic?). Discuss everyone's expectations of what they want to do as a group, and what they're happy to go off and do on their own. Then make a plan for the group to meet up at least once a day (e.g., a table service meal -- each adult gets to choose one -- followed by touring together) and make the rest of the itinerary (e.g., morning into early afternoon with naps built-in) an optional, plan-your-own-adventure-style one which keeps in mind the priorities and limitations of the traveling party. If the adults are hoping for some "alone time," designate a night where you watch your friends' kids, and a night where they'll watch yours (or better yet, see if the "grandmas" will take the kids for a night).

I also "second" the parkhopper recommendation above. The bigger the party, the more flexibility you need.

Upvote 0

LucyK

You're better off asking your questions on the specific sub-forums for more helpful answers for each questions.

What can I tell is:

Free Dining is never a certainty. You have the option to book it early and apply FD when and if it's offered or gamble it and not book at all and just wait for it.

Disney does not offers a transfer to Universal. In your case I'd call Mears (or book online) and book a shuttle for the price of $18 each way. Children under 3 are free and 4-11 you'll pay a little less than that.

AoA suites are almost always excluded from any promos Disney might release. Can't you book a room at POR instead? It sleeps up to 5 and POR is included in all promos.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

shmmrname

My tips:

1. Stock your room(s) with some water and snacks, especially light stuff that you can use in the mornings. Granola bars, bananas, bottled water... don't go crazy. It's a nice perk to have them as a quick on-the-go breakfast and it helps to keep everyone from going to the vending machines in the middle of the night.
2. Avoid 2-credit DDP reservations. Sometimes there's a place you absolutely have to try, but keep in mind that a 2-credit DDP reservation is almost always a loss as opposed to just paying out-of-pocket.
3. Buy disney merchandise before you leave. You'll likely see a ton of stuff (especially for the kids) that you love while you're down there. But, if their already wearing a cute outfit that you paid half the price for (because you bought it at home), you're less likely to splurge while you're on property.
4. Make a 'souvenirs wait' rule: meaning that you agree to save your shopping until later in the vacation. You'll see stuff you want every day. So instead of breaking out the wallets, keep telling yourself (and your group) that you'll back-track to get your favorites on the last day or two. You're less likely to buy the stuff later, and even if you do... at least you'll likely to buy one or two things the last day rather than one or two things DAILY.
5. Check up on AAA memberships. We priced out a rental car with and without a AAA membership and the membership discount actually made a TON of sense in our situation.

Check here and other sites often for DDP and other deal information. Also, subscribe to the MouseSavers newsletter (if you're not already).

Upvote 0

Hot Lava

I chime in with agreement with those who said you should look into getting a shuttle van to USO. With as many of you as there are, it would likely be the best way to go. Earlier this year I looked at a bunch of the limo and car service companies for transport (including Mears). It seemed that there were some good deals to be had with some of the larger capacity vehicles.

Upvote 0

Lucky

I couldn't stand going as part of a group that large unless I had already spent a week in the parks and done everything once or twice already.

Upvote 0

CheshireCat12

Just a question for the OP, and not meant to flare up the age debate...but why go to Universal with the little ones? Maybe just "mom and dad" time, since the grandmas are going? It just seems to me that UNI does not offer much for the little ones to make it worthwhile IMO.

Upvote 0

luv

My biggest advice on how to save money is to stay in non-Disney hotels and eat as much non-Disney food as possible. Those are the biggest expenses. All I can say now is, "Try not to shop.":)

Mears runs a shuttle to Unli, if you don't want to rent a car.
Just a question for the OP, and not meant to flare up the age debate...but why go to Universal with the little ones? Maybe just "mom and dad" time, since the grandmas are going? It just seems to me that UNI does not offer much for the little ones to make it worthwhile IMO.
There are things in all the Orlando parks for little ones. Since Uni's thrill rides are more thrilling than Disney's, people tend to focus on those few rides and not talk about all the other things Uni has to offer. Children can and do have a great time in all the parks. If you take a typical four year old to any Orlando park, they're going to have fun. :)

Also, if you wait too long, the kids can never ride Pteranodon Flyers. You have to be 36-56" tall or accompanied by someone who is, :)

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom