Ok experts... which moderate priced hotel, and WHY??!!

boodsadel

Alright, I know you all have opinions, and love for them to be heard! So if you had to choose a moderate priced hotel on the Disney grounds, which would you choose? WHY? Tell me your experiences, bad and good. I want to know!!!! I'm planning a trip the second week of March, and want to make the best choice. Can ya help me out??!! :D :D

Mitzer

Port Orleans/Riverside (formerly known as Dixie Landings)...no doubt our favorite moderate resort. It offers, in my opinion, the best food court of the moderates. We love the theming, the pool, the rooms (either side), the layout, the amenities, well everything. Disney did a great job designing this place. Also, we love the bus and water taxis here. Never had one problem with any transportation at this resort. Two thumbs - way up :sohappy: .

Upvote 0

CREEKWAYNE

Originally posted by Mitzer
Port Orleans/Riverside (formerly known as Dixie Landings)...no doubt our favorite moderate resort. It offers, in my opinion, the best food court of the moderates. We love the theming, the pool, the rooms (either side), the layout, the amenities, well everything. Disney did a great job designing this place. Also, we love the bus and water taxis here. Never had one problem with any transportation at this resort. Two thumbs - way up :sohappy: .

This is the 2nd post in a row but once again I have to agree with Mitzer. The whole layout is wonderful.:sohappy: :sohappy:

8 days and counting..:wave:

Upvote 0

wed050499

Hello,

I would have to say my favorite moderate priced resort is Carribean Beach. I love the layout of it with the multiple bus stops, the lake, the choice of activities at the marina, the food court (which recently changed a bit, but not too much from what i heard) and just the relaxed atmosphere of the resort. Being one of Disney's largest, it gives a great opportunity to mingle with other guests at it's many pools and of course the unique main pool. I also never had a transportation issues at this resort either. Overall a great resort in my opinion.

Just my thoughts,
Brian

Upvote 0

wishiwere@wdw

Port Orleans Riverside is our favorite. Carribean Beach isn't bad but it is very spread out. They actually have internal bus service because of how big it is to get you back to the main building (which we didn't use because it wasn't very frequent). If you don't like extra walking, be sure to stay close to the main pool area. I think Jamaca was somewhat close if I recall.

Upvote 0

MGM WDWFan

I'd go with Caribbean because I think it's better to walk around in. With OPR right there it gives you a place you can walk to to get food, and it eliminates a lot of your need for a car. Plus I think that the views are nice and on a good night I think you can see the Epcot fireworks pretty well from, say, Martinique.

--MGM

Upvote 0

boodsadel

Original Poster
Thanks for the opinions guys... so what's the difference between the two Port Orleans resorts? Have any of you stayed at both and preferred one over the other?

Upvote 0

TIGGER-FAN

My wife and I stayed at the Port Orleans French Quater at the begining of this month. It is smaller by about 1000 than the Riverside so there is less people about. Also the buses service both the French Quater and Riverside. The buses pick up at the French Quater first so you are almost always gauranteed a seat going to the parks. There is no sit down resteraunt at the French Quater only a food court. The theming is great remindes me of some of the older streats in New Orleans. Also we requested a king bed close to the main building and got it. THe staff was very accomidating. Hope this helps.

Upvote 0

Mitzer

Originally posted by boodsadel
Thanks for the opinions guys... so what's the difference between the two Port Orleans resorts? Have any of you stayed at both and preferred one over the other?

Long ago :lol: . the resorts were seperate. Why Disney put them together I never heard...but Dixie Landings (PO/R) has two phases...Alligator Bayou and Magnolia Bend. AB reminds me of a Huckleberry Finn type area and MB is more the southern plantation look. Both are nice and well themed. The old PO (POFQ) is and always has been like a New Orleans Mardi Gras type theming. I have stayed in all three types of rooms. I just like the Riverside better because of the size, the food court (which offers everything you could possilbly want), the amenities. We loved the fact that you can fish here or ride the surry bikes. Just was a lot of fun. The FQ side is good also, but if you want the huge food court or to eat at Boatwrights, you have to hoof it over to the other side. I think that is my only though about the differences. Either side was nice and had its ups/downs in perks. Just make sure to ask for a room close to the main building if you plan on eating there, so as to eliminate some extra walking. Have a great time...

Upvote 0

surfsupdon

Tropical factor

OK, we've stayed at all moderates except Coronado Springs. Here's the deal, real quick....

Port Orleans and Dixie Landings are really nice, but Caribbean Beach is by far the nicest. Reason being: When you go to Florida, you want to see lush foliage, tropical plants, hot colors, and a tropical ambiance overall. Caribbean Beach has this and a ton more, exceeding the bar. But both Port Orleans Resorts recreate a time and area where there are not many palm trees or tropical anything. I live in NJ, and Dixie Landings, tho landscaped beautifully as all the moderates are, felt like I was still in NJ, with evergreen trees, magnolias, and other non tropical trees. The deal was the same for Port Orleans, just not tropical enough, and smaller by the way, b/c it is only one one side of a river, whereas Caribbean Beach encircles a 45 acre Lake. All beautiful, but stick with Caribbean Beach to continue the "Florida Feel."

Upvote 0

TURKEY

Originally posted by wishiwere@wdw
Port Orleans Riverside is our favorite. Carribean Beach isn't bad but it is very spread out. They actually have internal bus service because of how big it is to get you back to the main building (which we didn't use because it wasn't very frequent). If you don't like extra walking, be sure to stay close to the main pool area. I think Jamaca was somewhat close if I recall.

You can usually get from any island to another one or especially Old Port Royale on any bus. There really isn't any internal bus. Just ask the bus driver if he/she will be stopping at Old Port Royale before departing for the park.

Martinique is the closest to Old Port Royale. Barbados and Trinidad North are the next closest.

Upvote 0

surfsupdon

ARUBA

But why would you want to stay so close to everything at a resort...if thats the case stay in a hotel, where walking is minimal. The point of resorts are that they are laid out, and have beautiful landscaping and things to see and do. The best islands to stay in CB are ARUBA and Jamaica, as you get to walk through Parrot Cay Island and over 2 wooden bridges. Martinique and Trinidad North are entirely too close, and don't allow for peaceful walks. And anyone who uses the Internal shuttle and is not disabled should be punished for not enjoying the beauty of the Resort and experiencing everything it has to offer. Just walk--it would do most of America well if more people walked.

Upvote 0

figmentmom

We've stayed at both the Caribbean Beach and Port Orleans French Quarter, and our favorite by far was Port Orleans. Although I agree that the Caribbean Beach had beautiful landscaping, and great places to walk in the evenings, that was offset by the LONG bus waits to the parks. Port Orleans French Quarter just seems more centrally-located, the bus service is more efficient, and (when it's running) there's the boat ride to Downtown Disney. The food court was perfect for our family because we prefer a quick bite on our way to and from the parks. The resort itself was lovely, the staff was great, and I can't wait to go back!

Upvote 0

TURKEY

I've stayed at CB, Riverside, and French Quarter. CB had the best bus transportation out of the 3. I never had more than 10 minutes at any CB stop, and waited an average of 20 minutes at French Quarter and 25 at Riverside.

Upvote 0
I absoulutly love Port Orleans Riverside. It definetly does give you the feel of the old South. I particularly like the main building (loby) it is very nice and has a nice porch for the food court with a nice view of the river system. The rooms are perfect for the resort.

Upvote 0

boodsadel

Original Poster
Wow... You guys are so helpful!:D I think I am leaning towards PO Riverside, just seeing everyone's responses. Looking into it more, which part of Riverside do you like better? I saw pictures of both, and Alligator Bayou seems pretty neat-o. Any opinions? Can you make specific reservations like that online, or do you have to call? Sorry I'm such a chatty-cathy with all the questions!!:animwink: Look forward to hearing your responses!!!

Upvote 0

orangefan15

I would definitely go with POR, great theming, great rooms, great food court, not obnoxiously large, cool pool area, as well as smaller quiet pools...

As to which side of POR, I think its a personal decision...I prefer the mansion side, but that's because I like the whole stately-building feel...others like AB better because its smaller and more homey feeling. I think it all comes down to what you're looking for in your resort.

Upvote 0

Nansafan

Stayed at Riverside when it was still Dixie Landings and we had an Alligator Bayou room. Rustic and cute and we were pretty close to the South Bus Stop which is near the check-in area. Sounds like you've made your decision but I'm going to weigh in with my opinion. We really like French Quarter better. The intimacy of the resort is great. After spending all day walking through the parks, it's nice not to have to go too far to get to your room. We were in building number 3 this past Christmas and our room was at the end of Rue d'Baga. My brother has stayed at all the Moderates and his fav is PO FQ.

Upvote 0

cymbaldiva

Prepare yourselves - I speak "old school"

My very fave of the moderates is Port Orleans...it's compact, it's SOOOO beautiful in the evening, and you always get a seat on the bus!

I have also stayed in both sides of Dixie Landing - Loved the Bayou, hated the Mansions. I personally found the Bayou really well themed...the Mansions remind me of any old motel with a poorly-done GTTW makeover

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom