News Ohana reopening July 9th

castlecake2.0

Don't worry, I'm sure they are still making plenty of money (hell even MORE money) on those new bland dishes.. them tourists still coming in droves.... once again, the genius move of laying off half the staff is paying off.
Yes the place is packed but they are not purposely trying to offer a terrible experience. They’re actively trying to hire more people back and even offering up to a $1000 sign on bonus for some housekeeping and cook roles. I’m not trying to pixie dust, I’ve seen how bad things are right now.

Chomama

In response to the comments about these family style meals coming back across the resort, I wanted to share my experience with Chef Mickey’s. It was basically the exact same thing people are experiencing at Ohana. I will say that Chef Mickey has never been a fantastic restaurant and the food is definitely so so. We went because our four-year-old just wanted to see Mickey Mouse. My expectations for the food were definitely low. That said, this was the absolute most inedible and disgusting meal I have had ever in all the years I have been to Disney World. That includes any quick service, and I do believe I have eaten at about 85% of all Disney restaurants. I didn’t think to complain to the manager because I figured they knew but I should probably share some pictures with you guys. I spent $50 a person and ended up having to go buy more food somewhere else after work because nobody could eat. I will say the characters were amazing and really gave us a good show so I don’t regret going but I will definitely not be back. Ever. Whatever is going on with the restaurants and the staff shortages and supply shortages is embarrassing for Disney. They don’t seem to care but they should shut our restaurants and offer a good service at the ones they keep open instead of continuing to open restaurants and offer a subpar product. They won’t do that but man, they should. It’s so so bad

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
I thought others had mentioned that this change and others are intentionally not permanent but rather a necessary temporary homogenization in the interest of getting appropriate staff for each of the restaurants trained and deployed.
I thought that too, but when you really think about it, if they can make Shrimp Casserole, they can make skewers. I think they were trying to get away with charging similar prices or slightly higher prices with an inferior product, and it didn't work. I think it was well known that the re-opening of this 'Ohana was quite a swing and a miss. Even vloggers who can say no wrong against Disney were giving it poor reviews, that says a lot.

Chi84

Premium Member
I thought that too, but when you really think about it, if they can make Shrimp Casserole, they can make skewers. I think they were trying to get away with charging similar prices or slightly higher prices with an inferior product, and it didn't work. I think it was well known that the re-opening of this 'Ohana was quite a swing and a miss. Even vloggers who can say no wrong against Disney were giving it poor reviews, that says a lot.
With the shrimp casserole the server puts it on the table and leaves. The multiple skewers need servers taking them to the tables multiple times. If there’s a serious staff shortage, as we’re seeing in my area, that’s a big difference.

TrojanUSC

100%. The steak is still being cooked on the skewers. They just plate it on little skillets before bringing it to the table. They could easily just bring you a second skillet of shrimp, steak and chicken. There is no need for the actual skewers to make an appearance. This was about homogenization to save money and use less staff.

TikibirdLand

Menu has been updated -

The 'Ohana Coconut-Papaya Scones and Cheddar-Bacon Biscuits has been replaced with Signature 'Ohana Bread.

Shrimp Casserole has been replaced with Spicy Peel-n-Eat Shrimp.

A few drinks also removed.

Well, they're getting closer to being back to normal. How 'bout bringing back the Skewers? Our local Brazilian restaurants have been doing that for a while now.

TrojanUSC

Well, they're getting closer to being back to normal. How 'bout bringing back the Skewers? Our local Brazilian restaurants have been doing that for a while now.

The shrimp and steak are skewered, they just remove them from the skewers prior to being delivered to your table now. The chicken is weirdly still bone-in, but on the grill.

Waters Back Side

This was bound to happen sometime, reverting back to the original menu. Ohana has a huge fan base. Eventually Trails End and Cape May Cafe will do so also.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom