Oh Really?

rzalaskus

Original Poster
This is from www.jimhillmedia.com:

"So what's the name of the exciting new attraction that will zooming around inside Spaceship Earth once October 2006 rolls around? "Time Racers," Epcot's latest and greatest thrill ride, sponsored by Microsoft"

Considering Compaq is shelling out big $$$ for Mission: Space, do you think Compaq will want another tech company as a sponsor. Its like Oscar Mayer and Fritos sponsoring in the same park. Although they don't sell the same products, they are still in the same category: food. And each one will want to be the food company synonimous with the park.

AndyMagic

Compaq makes computers... Microsoft makes software. I highly doubt one would care what the other is sponsoring. Also Compaq isn't the sponsor of M:S anymore, HP is.

TURKEY

Originally posted by rzalaskus
This is from www.jimhillmedia.com:

"So what's the name of the exciting new attraction that will zooming around inside Spaceship Earth once October 2006 rolls around? "Time Racers," Epcot's latest and greatest thrill ride, sponsored by Microsoft"

Considering Compaq is shelling out big $$$ for Mission: Space, do you think Compaq will want another tech company as a sponsor. Its like Oscar Mayer and Fritos sponsoring in the same park. Although they don't sell the same products, they are still in the same category: food. And each one will want to be the food company synonimous with the park.

Comparing Microsoft and HP/Compac to Oscar Mayer and Fritos is not a good comparison.

There is no way to have a monopoly on food. I'm not sure of any food company that could provide a monopoly on food items.

I think that as long as Microsoft stays out of the hardware business, then HP and Microsoft could coexist as sponsors of attractions.

I think if Bill Gates wants to spend the money to do this, then he will do it. I think that Mission Space will be a success. If HP was to get upset at Microsoft sponsoring SE and pull out of its deal, I think there would be another company that would be willing to sponsor MS.

Re: Re: Oh Really?

Originally posted by turkey leg boy
Comparing Microsoft and HP/Compac to Oscar Mayer and Fritos is not a good comparison.
Agreed. While HP and Microsoft are beginning to compete more, in their CORE areas (software and hardware, to keep it simple), they're not competitors, they're complementors. Each company's products help sell the other's.

Think about it this way: You want to get Microsoft XP, or the cool new Microsoft game Age of Mythology. Your old computer doesn't run them. You need a new computer. Compaq sells computers. Voila!

Or, you want to buy a new computer. You buy a Compaq. You must get an operating system with it, and henceforth purchase Windows (through HP/Compaq).

A better food comparision would be a hot dog maker and a hot dog bun maker. They have interest in the other thriving, it only helps sell their own product.

Bagheera

HP and Microsoft are business partners and work closely on a lot of projects. I can't imagine any jealousy in this situation. In fact, they might even come up with some joint promotion. Buy fifty HP servers with Microsoft Windows 2003 Server DataCenter Edition and get free always-good Fastpasses for both attractions! :D

Katherine

Is it just me or does Discoveryland seem kinda out of place in Epcot. Why don't they call it Discovery Planet of Discovery World? I don't know just needed to say that.

devilred

I agree katherine. Don't they have a Discoveryland at Disneyland Paris. Discoveryland to me is a futuristic Animal Kingdom without the animals. I mean they are going to plant all those trees. I am 14 and Future World/Past World is my favorite part of all the land in Disney. I guess I am the only young person who likes SE and WoL and SeaBaseAlpha. :cry:

Invero

You know... just look who wrote that crap. Jim Hill... he's such a moron, it doesn't surprise me that he couldn't make a decent argument.

Hank Scorpio

I think they should be called 'land' instead of 'world' in Epcot.

Maybe not discoveryland, but somethingland because how can you have a world within a world?

For example, you couldn't really say lets go visit TomorrowWorld in Walt Disney World. It sounds dumb.

Tomorrowland sounds much better.

Get my point?

Epcot is my fav

Discoveryland sounds so BAD.......Future World is a great sounding name....where did they come up with this horrible name.....????

Discoveryland=:hurl:

Future World=:king: or :sohappy:

TURKEY

I think they should go ahead and change the name of Future World.

I think it should be called It was the Future 20 Years Ago World.

Jerm

Originally posted by Epcot is my fav
Discoveryland sounds so BAD.......Future World is a great sounding name....where did they come up with this horrible name.....????

Why is what the area is supposed to be about "Discovery" a bad name for the area? I don't think the name Future World every really fit all that well. If you think about it when E.P.C.O.T. Center opened most of the attractions were about discovery that lead to what the WDI people saw as the future. World of Motion.....discovery of the wheel and modes of transportation that would lead to flying cars. Spaceship Earth.....communications history leading to the future of what it could be like (where are the dang video phones?) The Land......how to work with what we have and where in the future it could help. UoE....energy and how in the future we can use diffrent means of energy. JII....imagantion and discovery of the fun that is in our head. Horizons and Comucore were really the only 2 things that were mostly about the future.
I think that Discoveryland can open it up a bit more for diffrent attractions. Sure the attractions we have now arnt really Discovery based, but it does take away the title that Disney has always had a problem dealing with........the future. If you look at the Tomorrowlands in the 3 diffrent parks WDW's fits the title best because is it the Sci-Fi tomorrow that we know will never really happen. Where the T-lands at TDL and DL were always fiting to actually be about Tomorrow, but are almost always a day behind. The Discoveryland in DLP is about the future based on the past and how they saw it not how we see it. I mean really it is almost impossible to say this will happen in the future because 9 times out of 10 by the time they get done with the attraction the future is already here.

Just my 2 cents,
J

I don't think people have the right idea about "Time Racers" it is highly unlikely it will be a rollercoaster like experience. Spaceship Earth just cannot physically support such a ride system and the stresses it would place on the structure. Look more for a ride system like the new Journey Into Imagination with Figment.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom