Offsite questions

PirateJ

Hi Everyone,
It seems to be a bit "taboo" to ask offsite questions, but I'm relatively new to the boards so I'm taking the risk.

I wanted to know for those of you that stay offsite, what some of your favorite places to stay and eat are. Do you have any "must eat at restaurants" in the area?

I'm going down this Summer and I'm always looking for new places to try!

Thanks! :wave:

Moustronaut

We've had great success with the Doubletree Club hotel on 535. It's just next to the Hotel Plaza enterance to WDW and almost across the street from the crossroads shopping center. They usually have a great rate through AAA. The hotel is clean and quiet. It's festivly decorated with bright colors and pineapples on the outside of the building.

As far as where to eat, one of the most unique places we've found is Jungle Jims in the crossroads shopping center. It features many many different kinds of hamburgers, so with some rather unusual toppings.

Upvote 0

disneydreams

i have 3 weeks timeshare at Sheraton's Vistana Resort. It's a GREAT place to stay. My parents have been taking me there since i was a wee little boy. ALthough I enojoy staying offsite to avoid all the camotion, onsite is the way to go. the hotels are sooo much fun!!! I have also stayed at the Beuna Vista Suites. Not as nice as Vistana.

Upvote 0

maelstrom

Homewood Suites. There's a few in the area, but we've stayed at the one that's address is on 4. Hilton in the Hotel Plaza also.

Olive Garden, Jungle Jim's, Currabba's..

The Olive Garden on 192 is special for us. We've been eating there since way before we ever had an OG here. We still prefer that one over any other. Currabba's is a chain but you may not have one where you live. And I think Jungle Jim's is a one-and-only, but I may be wrong. Interesting place.

No trip to Florida is complete without a visit to Publix. We don't have that supermarket up here and we love it!

Upvote 0

BRER STITCH

Hey PIRATEJ!....WELCOME! :wave:

There's no harm in asking "off-site" questions! In fact, there is a whole other forum dedicated to those discussions, so don't be confused if this gets moved to that forum.

There are lots of great places to stay offsite at MUCH better prices! I like the Hilton and the Double Tree on Hotel Plaza Boulevard. I have stayed at the Sheraton Safari, the Double Tree Club, and the Embassy Suites too! All have their benefits and drawbacks, but all were very nice places to stay.

Another thing we tried once that I would do again in a heartbeat is to rent a vacation home. The problem is, unless you go with a large group, it doesn't pay to stay with one or two people.

As far as offisite restaurants, there are tons to choose from! For seafood we really liked Landry's! :slurp:

GOOD LUCK!

:sohappy: :sohappy:

Upvote 0

wilary

Just got back from a trip where we stayed at the Hampton Inn on Palm Parkway, which has a lot of places to stay. You can see them from I-4 across from the outlet mall. Plus it's accessible to the backway onto Disney property.

There's also a shopping center with lots of restaurants like Hooters, The Crab House and Black Angus Steakhouse. We also found a Giardano's that Chicago Pizza Chain. My favorite offsite place to eat is Orlando Ale House. They have them all over the city, but there's one close at 535 & WinterGarden-Vineland just down from the Crossroads. It's a sports type bar with good cheap food and excellent drink specials. $5 pitchers everyday.

Upvote 0

righttrack

Generally speaking, I avoid chain restaurants like the plague. We like unique restaurants with good food. I like Vito's Chop House on International.

Upvote 0

barnum42

I've never stayed on-site in 13 visits, so don't feel it's a taboo topic. I still do most of my dining in the parks or resorts though. Though I have a soft spot for Olive Garden. I know it's a chain deal and you run the risk of screaming brats, but the grub is still nice.

Upvote 0

PirateJ

Original Poster
Thanks for all the great suggestions! :sohappy:
I've been to the area many times but I'm always interested in what other people like to do down there!

I personally love the Cracker Barrel...we don't have that in my area!

Upvote 0

figmentmom

I've stayed at the Grosvenor Resort (near Downtown Disney) many times, and always really liked it. Excellent room deals are available, the hotel has two terrific pools, a hot tub, and shaded kiddie pool, it's within very easy walking distance of DTD and Pleasure Island, and it has a nice cafe in the hotel lobby. (There's also a full-service restaurant and lounge, although I haven't visited them.) Not everybody is nuts about the bus service to the parks, but I've always had good experiences with it. ;)

Upvote 0
I suggest staying offsite, especially if you travel to Disney often, which can be very expensive. My family has been renting a vacation home for years now. For less than what it costs to stay at a Disney resort, you can get a whole home with a private pool! Its also convenient because the homes have a kitchen, so you don't have to eat all of your meals out. Staying offsite will help you get acquainted with the area and enjoy other areas of Florida, not just Disney.

One of my favorite places to eat in the Kissimmee area is Sonny's BBQ! They have great BBQ chicken, ribs, turkey, etc.! :slurp:

Upvote 0
If we stay off-site, we always rent a house.. It's cheaper to rent a house for a week than to stay at a moderate resort on property for a week! But.. we're staying on resort this trip :) ..As for eating, I don't like eating anywhere else but Disney when I'm there... Well, ok I lied-- McDonalds or Taco Bell :p

Upvote 0

Mr Wizard

If you are going to stay at least a week and have a car available ( they are a few miles from Disney ) you can't beat Extend Stay Suites. All rooms have a small kitchen and fridge. The rooms are cheaper ( $50.00 night off season for two people ) when you stay a week or more. My favorite one is right across the street from that "other" theme park. It's allways clean and well kept.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom