Official Moving to Orlando Thread... aka, ASK THE LOCALS!

bryon1

As a CM at D/L in CA. I may be looking to transfer out to WDW. The median home price in Orange County is now $480K for a older home....Just cant afford to live here much longer. Im currently renting a older 70's apart. with no A/C. I am however 15 min. to work.

Just wondering if someone could spit out some better areas to purchase a home out there?

Looking to spend say $220K-$280k

Also does anyone know if there are any relocation bennefits/bonuses for teachers to come to FL.

Thanks,

Bryon1

Lokheed

I'll leave it to someone who has lived here longer to name good places to buy a house, but regarding a teaching job you should take a look at ocps.net which is the website for Orange County Public Schools. There is a wealth of information there, including a link to the human resources page. They have you fill out a detailed online profile and mail in your credentials, which can all be done before you arrive in Florida. Once the online resume has been approved by HR (which from experience can take several weeks ), you can then start applying at particular schools. There is a page that lists all of the job openings in the district, and you can submit your online resume to any of them and the school principal will recieve it.

When we arrived at the end of July last year Sara had already completed her resume and had it approved, and it still took about two months before she was hired as an english teacher at a local high school. There were no relocation bonuses that I am aware of. For all its worth, Orange County has one of the fastest growing school districts in the country, with an average of two new schools opening every year somewhere in the county.

cherrynegra

Just wondering from the locals, has anyone put up here the closest grocery stores to the World? Other than that one, I think it's called Goodings? I could be wrong. I'm waiting for someone to put detailed directions to places like that. Took a trip to the closest Target and it seemed so far away. It was like past Sea World and then some. I thought there was one closer. I would definitely buy a guidebook with that info.

TURKEY

Originally posted by cherrynegra
Just wondering from the locals, has anyone put up here the closest grocery stores to the World? Other than that one, I think it's called Goodings? I could be wrong. I'm waiting for someone to put detailed directions to places like that. Took a trip to the closest Target and it seemed so far away. It was like past Sea World and then some. I thought there was one closer. I would definitely buy a guidebook with that info.

There's a Target that's closer, 2 possibly, or at least they seem like it.

There are several grocery stores on 535, the road that intersects Hotel Plaza Blvd. There are also several on Hwy 192.

atownsend

Originally posted by cherrynegra

There is a Winn Dixie on 435/ Apopka Vineland rd just down the road from Goodings. Publix is located in behind Dixie Stampede on Vineland Ave.

foxfire

I was looking @ Alexandria & Parc Vue over on 535, rent is a bit high over there. I know the immediate area around WDW fairly well from visiting up there, but it's all too touristy for me. Of course, this depends if I work @ WDW or elswhere but I'd like to live in the area (15-20 min away). Are there cheaper properties on 535 or elsewhere? How is the US-192 area?

I'd like a place w/ a W/D in unit and high-speed internet. What's the avg. rent in the area? Thanks!

Defend10

Originally posted by bryon1
As a CM at D/L in CA. I may be looking to transfer out to WDW. The median home price in Orange County is now $480K for a older home....Just cant afford to live here much longer. Im currently renting a older 70's apart. with no A/C. I am however 15 min. to work.

Just wondering if someone could spit out some better areas to purchase a home out there?

Looking to spend say $220K-$280k

Also does anyone know if there are any relocation bennefits/bonuses for teachers to come to FL.

Thanks,

Bryon1

Hey Bryon, 220-280 will go far in Central FL, esp compared to where you're at right now. I've seen some great lakefront back here in the Windemere area for that or less, a beautiful area. Not as sure about the downtown Orlando properties, but I believe from what I've heard they are similar.

As far as teachers, I know nothing for a fact, but I remember hearing a while back that FL was one of those states that needed teachers pretty bad. Don't take my word on that though, this is pure hearsay :cool: PM, IM, or whatever if you want some info!

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Original Poster
Windermere Lakefront... for $220-280k?!?!!?

not likely... try closer to $400-500k.

A good area to check would be Hunters Creek and Waterford Lakes

Defend10

You can easily get Windermere lakefront for less than 300K, I know a very nice couple with a nice home they paid 120K for a couple of years ago there, it's valued about 200-250 now, lakefront has risen rapidly, but not that rapidly.

atownsend

Originally posted by foxfire
I was looking @ Alexandria & Parc Vue over on 535, rent is a bit high over there. I know the immediate area around WDW fairly well from visiting up there, but it's all too touristy for me. Of course, this depends if I work @ WDW or elswhere but I'd like to live in the area (15-20 min away). Are there cheaper properties on 535 or elsewhere? How is the US-192 area?

I'd like a place w/ a W/D in unit and high-speed internet. What's the avg. rent in the area? Thanks!

Mystic Point I and II are next door to Alexandria/ Parc View.

When you looked into Alexandria/ Park View did you ask about move in discounts, they were giving 2 months free on a 13 month lease or 1 month free on a 7 month lease.

There are other apartment complexes in the other direction of 535 such as Buena Vista Point and Sable Palm.

Lokheed

Just bear in mind that Mystic Point I and II are income restricted properties. That means that there is a maximum allowable income based on the number of bedrooms and the number of tennants. The scale seems to run from the mid $20k's to the very low $30k's.

foxfire

I found a few more places online, what do y'all know about them? The rent sounds good on them & they all have hi-speed internet available (yay!) Thanks =)

Arrow Ridge
Heron Lake
Hideaway Bay Club Apartments
Wellington Woods

well a few of those sound familiar and I want to say they are on 436 in Orlando, if this is true keep in mind you are just north of the Airport and the planes come in right over these apartments.

bryon1

Thanks for all the information....

So it looks like Windemere is the hot new areas for homes. Can anyone suggest homebuliders or areas in florida to advoid?

Im wondering what are the taxing rates for both property and sales tax?

I will also start a second thread of what is longest commute time spent to WDW, just wondering who drives the farthest every day...

Bryon1

Lokheed

Windermere, or "the city among the lakes", is located just north of the Disney property. The main downtown core is a narrow strip of land that threads its way between three lakes. My understanding is that both Tiger Woods and Shaq live in Windermere, and the newer gated developments there boast houses that run from the $400k's up to multi-million dollar mansions. It is a beautiful community, and there is plenty of older construction there as well as the tony new developments.

I know from direct experience that the elementary school there is excellent, as is the newer elementary school (Thornebrook) that opened two years ago just to the north in Ocoee. I hope to buy a home in the Winter Garden / Ocoee / Windermere area sometime next year.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Original Poster
Isleworth is debatable... i do believe it now falls within the town limits of Windermere, but for a while it was unincorporated Orange County with a Windermere address. I moved out of Windermere about 14 months ago... but I'll have to swing by again and see what the zoning of the town is. I was supposed to move back in January this year, but I'm now holding off until November.

As for the lakefront property... my aunt has a 3/4 acre lot on Lake Butler... she bought it in 87 for $249k, land and house (well.. the house that was there at the time.. she built one over).... the land alone now is worth over $300k... that's why I doubt you can pick up a house in Windermere Lakefront for that much

PhotoDave219

All i gotta say is if i gotta drive to the Apts behind the MK one more time this week... GRRRR.... Rheams Road is the middle of nowhere. Really.

Lhriangel

Originally posted by PhotoDave219
All i gotta say is if i gotta drive to the Apts behind the MK one more time this week... GRRRR.... Rheams Road is the middle of nowhere. Really.

*glares at Dave and doesn't say a single word....*

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom