Pre-Trip Off To Neverland!

Hello everyone! My girlfriend and I have book our first ever vacation together, and will be headed to Walt Disney World for a week in January. I know the trip is so far away, but I'm so excited for it that I had to start a trip report. So feel free to check in over the next 6 months as we prepare for our trip!

Our Story:
My girlfriend and I have been dating for 2 and a half years. I graduated from college this spring, and will be starting pharmacy school in the fall. She will be graduating in the Spring of 2016 with a degree in music education, and will be applying for jobs that start in the Fall of 2016. We talked about doing something as a graduation present for both of us, and the idea of going to Disney World came up. We were originally planning on going next summer, but after talking to family members and looking up prices, we decided on January 5th through the 11th because that is one of the cheapest times to go.

Yesterday, we booked the trip with our travel agent. This will be our first trip with just the two of us. It will be my 7th time to Disney World and it will be my girlfriend's 3rd time. I'm a bit obsessed with all things Disney, so I can't wait to spend the week exploring Disney World with her. I just need to make sure that she gets to help out with the planning as well. :p

The Current Plan:
Tuesday January 5th:
Our flight leaves at 7:10 am, and we should be in Florida around 11 am. We will be staying at Pop Century, and plan on heading to Epcot that evening.

Wednesday January 6th:
Our first full day in the parks will be spent at the Magic Kingdom!

Thursday January 7th:
Hollywood Studios. We are currently planning on a dinner reservation at Mama Melrose's and then heading to either Downtown Disney or the Boardwalk after Fantasmic at 7. My girlfriend has never been to downtown disney (And I've spent only a small amount of time there), and we've never been to the boardwalk. Any suggestions on must-do's there are certainly welcome!

Friday January 8th:
Animal Kingdom in the morning, and then heading to Downtown Disney that evening for more shopping and hanging out. We are looking at a dinner reservation at Paradiso 37 for that evening.

Saturday January 9th:
Another day at Epcot.

Sunday January 10th:
Spending our last day at the Magic Kingdom. Since we are spending 2 full days here, I would love to check out the monorail resorts, and maybe watch Wishes from somewhere outside the park. Any recommendations on this?

Monday January 11th:
Our flight leaves at noon, so we won't be doing much this day. We should be back in Minnesota around 2:30, and then we will head back to school for classes to start on Wednesday of that week.

That's our plan so far! I'll update it as we begin to figure more things out! We will not be doing the dining plan, so we only picked 2 places to make reservations at. Any other food suggestions, or any trip advice in general is welcome! Thanks for checking out the pre-trip report, I can't wait to be giving you guys the full report when we get back!

gilm0114

Original Poster
Thanks! :)
Today is 180 days away from our trip! After a struggle with the dining reservations because the reservation system was down, we managed to get three reservations.
-Tony's Town Square Restaurant on Wednesday Jan. 6th at 5:30
-50's Prime Time Cafe on Thursday Jan. 7th at 5:05
-Paradiso 37 on Friday Jan. 8th at 7:15

We are planning on only 2 dining reservations, and need to decide between Tony's Town Square Restaurant and 50's Prime Time Cafe. We had wanted reservations at Mama Melrose's but there were no seats available. Someone else on the forums mentioned that seats aren't available past early December. Is the restaurant closing? Does anyone know?

Also, any suggestions on which restaurant to pick would be greatly appreciated. And any tips on good quick service locations throughout all the parks would be great!

ColoradoEquestrian

Thanks! :)
Today is 180 days away from our trip! After a struggle with the dining reservations because the reservation system was down, we managed to get three reservations.
-Tony's Town Square Restaurant on Wednesday Jan. 6th at 5:30
-50's Prime Time Cafe on Thursday Jan. 7th at 5:05
-Paradiso 37 on Friday Jan. 8th at 7:15

We are planning on only 2 dining reservations, and need to decide between Tony's Town Square Restaurant and 50's Prime Time Cafe. We had wanted reservations at Mama Melrose's but there were no seats available. Someone else on the forums mentioned that seats aren't available past early December. Is the restaurant closing? Does anyone know?

Also, any suggestions on which restaurant to pick would be greatly appreciated. And any tips on good quick service locations throughout all the parks would be great!

I'll nominate Columbia Harbour House for your consideration! And if you do go, be sure to grab a seat upstairs by a window :D

blreinsel

Definitely go with 50s Prime Time! I ate there for the first time this past June after many recommendations from people on here and it was SO much fun! The food was great, and the experience just made it 10x better! :)

12in12

Congratulations on graduating!
50s Prime Time Cafe is lots of fun, the food is delicious and the portions are huge so you can share and save some money. I have shared meals in the past and waiters are fine with it. Same at Tony's, order something both you and your girlfriend will like and share it. Also stops you from feeling too full after a meal.

gilm0114

Original Poster
Next question for you guys! I want to do some sort of countdown gift for my girlfriend. Since it's the first vacation the two of us are taking together, I want to do something special to get us excited for the trip. I've been reading lots of blog posts about countdowns with activies for kids, and I'm wondering how to adapt the idea for two college students. Any ideas would be appreciated. :)

12in12

You could make a countdown calendar. A piece of paper with the number of days left until your trip. You could print a picture on each piece of paper, like in 25 days we can ride SM or 24 from now we will be watching this (picture of the parade or Wishes etc. ) you could include menus of where you will eat or pics of snacks etc. You could roll up each piece of paper and tie them in a string with a pretty ribbon and hang it up.

sheriffwoody

Sounds like a great trip! I haven't been to any of those restaurants, so I'm interested to see how you like them. For a countdown, last year I made a paper chain and took off a link each day. That was fun, but took too long to make. This year I drew a grid on a piece of paper and each square is a number. Each day, I put a disney sticker on another square to mark off the day. I'm on my 3rd sheet of paper :) I have been putting a Walt Disney quote at the top of each one too :)

I'm at 75 now, but I took this picture a few days ago
9FF5F64C-C912-4F90-957C-C0AC5825A65F_zps6szsmjdp.jpg

gilm0114

Original Poster
Thanks for the ideas! I've started working on an idea based off what RedNoseMickey suggested. I'll post some pictures once it's ready! :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom