Off-site recomendations

CP_alum08

Im sure this has been discussed, but I assumed everyones situations are different so here are mine...

My GF and I are in the preliminary stages of booking our next trip to WDW and by preliminary i mean pricing everything out and seeing if it fits into our budgets :p It will be just the two of us going, probably for 5 nights. We live in MI (a 20+ hour drive to WDW) and after pricing driving vs. flying its almost the same price, however neither of us are to the 'Need to be 25 to rent a car' age which makes things difficult. I have friends who have used Mears before and say it works just fine, but I have never personally used it.

We are no strangers to WDW but have never stayed off site. So I came here to get some suggestions on where to look to stay. It needs to be close enough to either walk to downtown disney to catch busses, or have a shuttle service (preferably one that leaves early and picks you up late!) Or if there is a nice enough place to stay and cheap enough, we would consider driving; this would open up renting a house/condo or staying a little further from main gates.

We are pretty open to suggestions right now after seeing 5 nights at All-Star for $1000+ Thanks in advance :wave:

Bluejay

http://orangelake.com/home.html

This is an RCI timeshare, but has great prices for general public rentals. My family were owners there for about 11 years. We LOVE its there. We only sold it because my Dad lost his job. Its comparable to a WDW Deluxe or Vacation Club resort, only the rooms are more spacious. It's VERY similar to Old Key West, but has a LOT more amenities and dining options. The property is right next to Animal Kingdom (basically there is a line of trees, hiding a canal and fence that separate the 2). They have shuttles to pretty much everywhere. This is about the only place I would stay off property. The price is the best part. I just looked at rates for when Im going 07/31-08/04 and a "standard room" which is the same as a studio at a DVC resort is 96 per night. A 1 bedroom villa is 120.00, so its about 575 with taxes. Thats less than the All Star resorts.

Upvote 0

smk

Don't know the dates of trip but the new special offer is for 15% off a value, making a five night stay just under 550 (NO TICKETS)(or close to it). IMHO, for the convience of Disney transportation you won't be able to beat that. That offer ends August 14th, probably just in time for free dining offers to start.

I have recently checked out the Super 8 (not exactly what I want but I don't think it would be that bad :shrug:) and I can get a room for 5 nights for 175.00, a great price, but we would drive and therefore would not need a rental car. They have a shuttle too I think, it's the one on Bronson Memorail Highway. I am holding out hope for a quick trip in two weeks, looks doubtful but one can always hope!

Upvote 0

Mr Wizard

I don't believe they have a shuttle so you would need a car, but I have stayed several times at the Super 8 at 5875 W Irlo Bronson Hwy and have been very happy with it. It is clean, cheap and comfy. The rooms have a fridge, coffee maker, microwave and plasma TV's. And there is a Publix supermarket right next door for picking up snacks and such. The pool is pretty dinky but I usually only go swimming at the water parks so that doesn't bother me. In the off season the prices are around $38.00 a night.

Upvote 0

disDUBney

http://orangelake.com/home.html

This is an RCI timeshare, but has great prices for general public rentals. My family were owners there for about 11 years. We LOVE its there. We only sold it because my Dad lost his job. Its comparable to a WDW Deluxe or Vacation Club resort, only the rooms are more spacious. It's VERY similar to Old Key West, but has a LOT more amenities and dining options. The property is right next to Animal Kingdom (basically there is a line of trees, hiding a canal and fence that separate the 2). They have shuttles to pretty much everywhere. This is about the only place I would stay off property. The price is the best part. I just looked at rates for when Im going 07/31-08/04 and a "standard room" which is the same as a studio at a DVC resort is 96 per night. A 1 bedroom villa is 120.00, so its about 575 with taxes. Thats less than the All Star resorts.

I would be interested in some more information on this accommodation. I have a friend who is going to Disney for the first time and wants to stay off-site. As I usually stay on site it's difficult to recommend somewhere. I did stay once at Sheraton Vistana LBV, is this accommodation similar? How long does it take to drive to the parks as they would have a car? Is there a supermarket near by? restaurants? Do you have any photos?

Upvote 0

CP_alum08

Original Poster
I would be interested in some more information on this accommodation. I have a friend who is going to Disney for the first time and wants to stay off-site. As I usually stay on site it's difficult to recommend somewhere. I did stay once at Sheraton Vistana LBV, is this accommodation similar? How long does it take to drive to the parks as they would have a car? Is there a supermarket near by? restaurants? Do you have any photos?

I checked out the link that was posted. I didn't look around too much but I found floor plans of each 'room', a map in location to WDW - which its RIGHT behind AK, and directions to and from all popular Orlando destinations. As far as restaurants and supermarkets, its right along the backside of WDW (I forget what the road is actually called) but there is lots of stuff. Restaurants are your standard chains and Im sure there is a Publix close by.

Upvote 0

gccgrad1996

Don't know the dates of trip but the new special offer is for 15% off a value, making a five night stay just under 550 (NO TICKETS)(or close to it). IMHO, for the convience of Disney transportation you won't be able to beat that. That offer ends August 14th, probably just in time for free dining offers to start.

I have recently checked out the Super 8 (not exactly what I want but I don't think it would be that bad :shrug:) and I can get a room for 5 nights for 175.00, a great price, but we would drive and therefore would not need a rental car. They have a shuttle too I think, it's the one on Bronson Memorail Highway. I am holding out hope for a quick trip in two weeks, looks doubtful but one can always hope!

I think that is the hotel we stayed at two years ago and it wasn't very nice. The light fixture in the bathroom fell down while we were sleeping and I felt like the room was not cleaned very well. I felt a bit grossed out staying there. Thankfully it was for only one night and we moved over to the French Quarter the next day. I would spend a little more money and get a nicer hotel. Good luck!

Upvote 0

SAV

The Marriott at Vista Place is right off property and is in the Entertainment book, so it is 1/2 off the rate. We used it multiple times and got a room for $60 per night. They do offer shuttle service, but not sure of the exact times. If you call, they will send or fax it to you.

Upvote 0

disDUBney

I checked out the link that was posted. I didn't look around too much but I found floor plans of each 'room', a map in location to WDW - which its RIGHT behind AK, and directions to and from all popular Orlando destinations. As far as restaurants and supermarkets, its right along the backside of WDW (I forget what the road is actually called) but there is lots of stuff. Restaurants are your standard chains and Im sure there is a Publix close by.

Looks good, thanks for the info.

Upvote 0

mjmyers10

Last summer we needed a cheap hotel for 1 night before our on property stay began. I booked the Pineapple Hotel (I forget the actual name) through Hotwire. It was $35 a night including taxes. The hotel is very close to the World and has a Dunkin Donuts 2 blocks away. $1000 for 5 nights at an All-Star sounds very very expensive. That price probably included tickets. If flying and driving are around the same price, I would choose driving if you are staying off property and under 25. Not sure if they are still around, but we've used Happy Limo and they were great. It's been about 5 years since we've used it because we normally drive now. Good luck.

Upvote 0

Bluejay

To the best of my memory, the rooms/villas are fairly similar in look and feel to the Vistana. I don't have any photos unfortunately. There is a small market on-site, which is actually a lot better than the markets at the DVC resorts. There is also an upscale restaurant, a casual pizza/Italian restaurant, a breakfast/lunch cafe, and a bar/grill poolside. Keep in mind, however, that I was last there 8 years ago. This place has more than doubled in size and now has multiple pools/recreation areas and probably has expanded the dining and shopping options as well. It is extremely close to the parks. If I remember right, it wasn't more than 15 mins to any of them. Disney could buy this place, throw up a few mouse ears around and it would be one of the better Deluxe Villa Resorts. Its basically Old Key West on steroids, really good steroids.

Upvote 0

yensid67

Im sure this has been discussed, but I assumed everyones situations are different so here are mine...

My GF and I are in the preliminary stages of booking our next trip to WDW and by preliminary i mean pricing everything out and seeing if it fits into our budgets :p It will be just the two of us going, probably for 5 nights. We live in MI (a 20+ hour drive to WDW) and after pricing driving vs. flying its almost the same price, however neither of us are to the 'Need to be 25 to rent a car' age which makes things difficult. I have friends who have used Mears before and say it works just fine, but I have never personally used it.

We are no strangers to WDW but have never stayed off site. So I came here to get some suggestions on where to look to stay. It needs to be close enough to either walk to downtown disney to catch busses, or have a shuttle service (preferably one that leaves early and picks you up late!) Or if there is a nice enough place to stay and cheap enough, we would consider driving; this would open up renting a house/condo or staying a little further from main gates.

We are pretty open to suggestions right now after seeing 5 nights at All-Star for $1000+ Thanks in advance :wave:

OK here is my cents worth...if you need any other help email me to the info following the post at the bottom!

I usually stay off property at Rodeway Inn on International Drive. I have stayed here before and they are decent rooms for less than $400 for the week!
You also mentioned about driving. I am planning my trip for Dec 2011 now and have found a rental car through AVIS for less than $300 for the week with unlimited mileage!
I can also direct you to discounts for rental homes/condos as well as discounted park tickets! Use this link wdwqa@yahoo.com and I will help you as much as I can!

Magical Plans are Waiting,

Will:wave:

Upvote 0

DizneyPryncess

I can vouch for Orange Lake being awesome. My in-laws have a time share there, and we've been going every March for the past 10 years. It's hugely transformed since we started visiting. It's gigantic, with lots of sections to stay at. There's several pools too. The Riverside area is our favorite because it has a pool, waterslide, and lazy river. Also it has several private cabanas you can book, lots of hammocks, a restaurant, & pool bar. At the resort there are two minigolf areas that each have 2 courses. There's racquetball courts & tennis courts too, as well as a work out facility.

The is a supermarket practically on property. It's packed on Saturday evenings, because it's used by everyone at Orange Lake who is checking in. You're very close to the parks, that has never been an issue for us. It does have it's own ticket center, which is nice for buying park tickets, as was already said.

As for pictures - I have more of those then I know what to do with! I'll give you my photo links, and you can check them out.

Holiday 2006 Trip
- there's a handful on the first page from Christmas, the rest of the album is from other places. The tubes we're in are in the lazy river. The pool area is the Riverside area. All the Xmas decorations are randomly around the resort. The minigolf course is also from there.

2009 Trip - Intermixed all through the album. The hippo slide is there, as well as the big golf course & minicourse. There's a good picture of the private cabana on the lazy river too.

2008 Trip - This album is all orange lake. There's some scenic pics. Most are of us. :)

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom