off base ? On base. is the price difference worth the cost?

mags11

on site is our preference

Being DVC members, we are now always on site. But even before that, we always prefered on site at any price point. We have stayed off property when we were chaperoning band trips and I thought that the time it takes you to get to most of the parks and then take a tram to the entrance is about the same amount of time needed to take a Disney bus (give or take). Being surrounded by the magic is a high priority for us (hence the reason we are now DVC members):sohappy:

Dwarful

We just got back Sunday from a week at WDW. We have done the dining plan numerous times. We decided this was our last time on the plan. Service was horrible! The shortest sit down meal we had was just under 2 hours. The longest meals were 3 hours. That is too long sitting in a rest. at a theme park. The worst service we had was at Le Cellier, which happened to have the best food. Also, there were lots of complaints about the 'seasonal' pricing. Honestly, with the crazy prices WDW is now charging for buffets I can see why people are making other choices. We switched dining a few times on our trip and never had trouble getting a different option. We also noticed lots of people who looked like 'sherpas' hauling around coolers on wheels (yep, they got through security!), cooler bags and other bags full of sandwiches, chips, drinks, etc. I'd say the days of great dining at Disney seem to be numbered. $40 per day for two adults during the summer 'seasonal' pricing will get you 2 counter service meals per person per day and not much else. Sandwich/fries were running about $7 add on a $2.50 drink and your close to $10 per person.

We stayed at Boardwalk, had room 3279, great room, nice view, excellent location. We took advantage of the 4/3 offer. We loved being close to the Studios and Epcot. But we noticed that we shared buses to and from MK & AK and those buses got crowded quickly. If you want to stay at a value I'd really go with Pop because of the bus system. It seemed to be the only resort that had its own buses running to and from the parks. (possible cutbacks? don't know).

We stayed offsite back in 1998, rented a home w/a pool. Wouldn't do it again for all the savings in the world. However, you can get a nicer hotel offsite for the same price you pay for the values. So the term 'value' resorts is a bit misleading. If you have your own car you can always drive to the 3 parks but use WDW for MK. We opt to use WDW transportation for everything and only once had trouble.

hrcollectibles

When do you plan on going? If it is during the free dining promotion I would say stay on property. You will be paying rack rate for the room but your food is paid for (for the most part). Have you looked at booking a room on property without the dining plan? There may be some promotions going on...

Susan Savia

I think a lot of people like to be surrounded by Disney 24/7. But we find that leaving the parks at the end of the day gives us time to recharge. We go off season and its just minutes back to our room. We drive from VA to Florida and stay offsite close to the parks. We are booked for 2010 now at the rate of $49.00 a night which has parking at our door, a microwave, a mini fridge and the high speed internet service. The room is clean and comfortable. We have annual passes so there is no parking fee in the parks. Normally we eat something light in our room in the morning and have a counter service meal at noon if we are hungry and eat our dinner outside of the parks. It takes minutes to get from our motel to the parks and theres no waiting on crowded busses or having to stand on them after long days in the parks. So many trip reports speak of busses passing right on by full and having to wait. Our vacation is not any less magical then someone staying in a Disney Resort. We are only in our room for sleeping. It doesn't make sense to spend $300 a night for a room that we are only going to be in for a few hours to sleep. Good luck in making your decision. Lots to consider. :)

MousDad

Last trip I stayed off site at a 2BR condo in Windsor Hills w/ 2 separate bedrooms, kitchen/DR/LR and in room washer & dryer. The room cost was cheaper than the cheapest onsite motel room.

Driving time to the 3 southern parks was 5 minutes each. 10 minutes to MK.

All onsite resort benefits mean nothing to me. I would rent a car even if staying on property. So I was out $72 in parking fees.

The cold hard truth of the matter is that you get way better lodging offsite for a lot less money, especially if you venture past motel rooms. If you stay on site, you pay for the resort benefits and the "magic." So if those are worth it to you, have at it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom