News Odyssey becoming a flex space

MrPromey

So basically they will cement the building's future as a temporary whatever party/event space...Which is also too small to replace WOL as a full Festival center. To me it's not necessarily happy news... I would be happier to hear they were remodeling and upgrading it into a fabulous new restaurant... Back to what it was but better than it ever dreamed to be...instead of another bland multi-use space for festival overflow or event rentals...Boo.

WOL had the scale right but the location horribly wrong. It never made sense that they put the festival "Center" so far away from the festivals they were actually having most of the time.

While this won't be able to replace what they were capable of doing over there, I'm glad they're officially making more permanent use of this space and that it's hopefully getting some updates, however minor to make it more appropriate for the role it has already been serving for a few years now.

If festivals continue to be Epcot's thing, I think it kind of makes sense to better use this space and consider creating possibly another one or two small-scale flex spaces around or near World Showcase that can serve complementary roles.

I think this would be kind of a difficult thing for them to screw up, even if they went cheap with it so while I don't disagree with you, I'm a little optimistic, at least.

... and since restaurants make money, I'm sure we'll still see them added in time so I don't think it's an either/or situation.

Monorail_Red_77

WOL had the scale right but the location horribly wrong. It never made sense that they put the festival "Center" so far away from the festivals they were actually having most of the time.

While this won't be able to replace what they were capable of doing over there, I'm glad they're officially making more permanent use of this space and that it's hopefully getting some updates, however minor to make it more appropriate for the role it has already been serving for a few years now.

If festivals continue to be Epcot's thing, I think it kind of makes sense to better use this space and consider creating possibly another one or two small-scale flex spaces around or near World Showcase that can serve complementary roles.

I think this would be kind of a difficult thing for them to screw up, even if they went cheap with it so while I don't disagree with you, I'm a little optimistic, at least.

... and since restaurants make money, I'm sure we'll still see them added in time so I don't think it's an either/or situation.
They could easily make Odyssey into Festival Center: Future World and use the Millennium Building in Worldshowcase as Festival Center: World Showcase. Or something like that.
Boom problem solved. Plenty of Festival space. Now lets get on with WOL re-use. LOL not LOL

Kman101

I think one of the problems with Millenium Showcase is that it's used for private functions a lot of the time. We think it's just sitting there empty but I believe they make money off of it. I doubt they'd want it as a festival pavilion for all those months they do festivals.

They have a ton of space inside both Innovention buildings that can be used, IMHO. They can put seminars/exhibits in there and use Odyssey for other things. That's if they keep all of the Innovention buildings. I'd prefer something else beside it being a festival place but if they aren't going to use it for anything else, exhibits related to the current festival makes sense.

Kman101

Yeah, it's usually closed but during the festivals it's become a food/booze spot (at least in the last five-ish years that I've noticed). I'll be glad for an update to the inside, personally. I'm sure it will be minor. It just gives off a dark unwelcoming vibe inside, IMO. It really should have stayed as a restaurant though over the years. Perfect spot for character dining and fireworks packages ;) (personally it felt like they left a LOT of money on the table not using it as a restaurant all of these years, but what do I know? For a company that likes it's upcharges and nickel and diming you, they really leave a lot of money on the table -- obviously they save on the cost of running it as a restaurant, but still ...) but I'm ok with it as a flex space.

Bocabear

glad to hear, as far as I can remember it has been closed, course most of the time I went off season.
It would still be closed most of the time except when it is being used for temporary purposes during a festival... And they have been using it like this for a while now...so this isn't really news. But as a whole it is way too small to turn into the Festival Center that allows the WOL building to be free for an attraction.... though the Communicore Buildings are mostly empty and could take up that role.

Unplugged

It's been a multi-use flex space for years. I love how Disney can find a way to change nothing, yet attempt to create an exciting press release. This news of no change via the Sentinel is about as exciting as untrue rumors from bus drivers. Sad.

Rteetz

Original Poster
It's been a multi-use flex space for years. I love how Disney can find a way to change nothing, yet attempt to create an exciting press release. This news of no change via the Sentinel is about as exciting as untrue rumors from bus drivers. Sad.
Actually there is news in that the building will be remodeled and more windows added.

gustaftp

As much as I love the aesthetics of 82 Epcot, this space is (to me) the most dated. Walking in there feels like walking back in to 1982. I love the building but it does need at least an interior remodel to bring it out of the past.
To an extent, I agree. And yet I love those restrooms -- dated as they are. Those are easily my second favorite restrooms in the park (except for Imagination, of course).

COProgressFan

To an extent, I agree. And yet I love those restrooms -- dated as they are. Those are easily my second favorite restrooms in the park (except for Imagination, of course).

Gotta love the internet for giving us a forum for like-minded individuals to discuss their favorite restrooms of Epcot (Center) !

For the record, I agree with your rankings. Though I was disconcerted a while back when I read somewhere that the BGM was turned off in the Imagination restrooms. Fortunately I believe it has returned.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
So is WoL not being used currently?

It is not. The regular F&G displayers aren't there. The roof is being worked on (possibly leaks, or routine maintenance, or for some big plan?). People caught Bob Chapek (prez. of parks) with a bunch of suits (actually, open dress shirts and slacks) checking out WoL and Imagination pavilions. Insiders indicate that things are in flux for FW.

EOD K9

It is not. The regular F&G displayers aren't there. The roof is being worked on (possibly leaks, or routine maintenance, or for some big plan?). People caught Bob Chapek (prez. of parks) with a bunch of suits (actually, open dress shirts and slacks) checking out WoL and Imagination pavilions. Insiders indicate that things are in flux for FW.
Thanks.

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
Oh I sure hope they don't renovate the bathrooms. Nothing says classic late 70's styling than dark brown fixtures and tiles. Classic EPCOT Center.

Follow up note, don't do a google search for Odyssey Bathroom.

montyz81

I think you mean when it was EPCOT Center. If we're running that flag up the pole, let's get it to the top. :)
1520457199125.png

MrPromey

I think one of the problems with Millenium Showcase is that it's used for private functions a lot of the time. We think it's just sitting there empty but I believe they make money off of it. I doubt they'd want it as a festival pavilion for all those months they do festivals.

They have a ton of space inside both Innovention buildings that can be used, IMHO. They can put seminars/exhibits in there and use Odyssey for other things. That's if they keep all of the Innovention buildings. I'd prefer something else beside it being a festival place but if they aren't going to use it for anything else, exhibits related to the current festival makes sense.

If they continue down the path they seem headed where there are festivals year-round, I could see how using the Inoventions buildings would probably make a lot of sense if they reworked them a bit to kind of direct flow into them at the front and out the back to hit World Showcase.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom