Odd rumored Animal Kingdom expansion pad

Advisable Joseph

Original Poster
I found a strange old post claiming there was an expansion pad in the conservation area between Animal Kingdom and Reedy Creek. No one corrected this.

Here's a map.
animalkingdomnorth_expansion.jpg

Anyone have more information as to why it was thought the eastern plot on the map was available? Was it confused with the farm to the north of Animal Kingdom?

J4546

originaly Kali River Rapids was supposed to extend out into that area, it was supposed to be way longer of a ride but instead it got cut to the terrible river rapids ride it is today

Advisable Joseph

Original Poster
I mean the plot to the east. Outside the current park boundary.

originaly Kali River Rapids was supposed to extend out into that area, it was supposed to be way longer of a ride but instead it got cut to the terrible river rapids ride it is today
Wasn't Kali the western plot on my image?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I found a strange old post claiming there was an expansion pad in the conservation area between Animal Kingdom and Reedy Creek. No one corrected this.

Here's a map.
animalkingdomnorth_expansion.jpg

Anyone have more information as to why it was thought the eastern plot on the map was available? Was it confused with the farm to the north of Animal Kingdom?

It is available and they are currently building the new WDI offices at the top of that area.

the.dreamfinder

In “The Making of Disney’s Animal Kingdom” by Melody Malmberg, there is specific mention that the park’s long term plan would result in the park expanding out east and west.

Advisable Joseph

Original Poster
In “The Making of Disney’s Animal Kingdom” by Melody Malmberg, there is specific mention that the park’s long term plan would result in the park expanding out east and west.
Nice find.

However, all I could find in that book was that the supply road could be moved to expand the park.

Where in the book did you find out about expanding east?

Advisable Joseph

Original Poster
That’s what I’m referring to.
That doesn't necessarily mean they can expand east: the east is important conservation land, a vital wildlife corridor; and also the authorities are keen not to disrupt the Reedy Creek flood plain too badly.

However, perhaps Disney can exchange some of the land open to development opposite Coronado Springs across Western Way, which is also in the Reedy Creek flood plain, for land due east of Animal Kingdom? I don't know.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom