October Trip

CtDisneyGuy33

Hello WDWMagic-

Newbie and First post, so go easy.

I apologize if someone else has started this, but we are headed to Disney in October and have never been during that time. I know there are some Halloween things (which I can't wait for) and the Food and Wine Fest.

I'd love to hear people's thoughts on the Halloween things and the Fest. (180 days +/- and counting!!)

Vader2112

First Welcome aboard!!
The MNNSHP is fun. It is a seperate hard ticket you must buy as admission is not permitted with your regular tickets/passes. In addition not all rides and attractions are open. In past years the crowds were light. This and last year I had seen a dramatic rise in attendance. You just have to know how to work around the crowd. Also depends if you plan on staying until the end of the party as ther are two parades. The crowd thins out a bit by the time the second one rolls around. As it got later we were able to ride at will.. Peter Pan's Flight back to back with out even having to get off the ship.
The weather here in FL is still rather warm in October towards the end of the month it cools down a bit more but temps are still on the high side compared to most of the country. The best part is that the rainy season is just about over that time of year.
Food and Wine at EPOCT is great. Bring your appetite as they set up kiosks around the park with food and beverages from additional countries not represented in the World Showcase..I should say states too as Hawaii has had a kiosk the past few years.
HJope you have a great trip

Upvote 0

CtDisneyGuy33

Original Poster
I apologize, if the rides aren't going, we will buy tickets for parties? or Haunted houses? I guess I don't know really what it consists of. In your opinion, you think its definitely worth going to, I assume?

Wow, I had no idea about the Food and Wine had all those kiosks or whatever.

With so much time left before my trip and with all the insight I get from this site, I'm going to go crazy before october!!

Thanks for all you insight- really helps

Upvote 0

Poofiesdream

Some of the popular rides are open during the party. there are no haunted house's except for the haunted mansion ride. There is a special parade. The food and wine does have a lot of kiosks but they are not free you pay for whatever you order. If you have kids its a must for the Halloween Party if you can afford it, just about everyone wears a costume. Adults, some like it some don't. Everyone at the party gets to trick or treat for candy!

Upvote 0

Vader2112

Disney World only has the Mickey Not So Scary Halloween Party. They do not have Haunted Houses. Universal has Halloween Horror Nights. There are several rides going just not all of the rides and attractions are opperating during the Halloween Party. The event is a seperate ticket or a hard ticket event and runs from 7:00pm until 12:00am you will be issued a wristband so you will not be confused with guests exiting the park and not attending the party. There is also the opportunity to go Trick or Treating around the Magic Kingdom during the party and several guests do come in costumes, The chareters even are in coustumes or Halloween attire.

Here is a basic list of what's open during the party:
Most, but not all of the rides and restaurants will be up and running during MNSSHP. Here is a list of what will be available:
Adventureland
Pirates of the Caribbean
The Magic Carpets of Aladdin
Aloha Isle
Fantasyland
“it’s a small world”
Dumbo the Flying Elephant
Mad Tea Party
Mickey's PhilharMagic
Peter Pan's Flight
Prince Charming Royal Carousel
The Barnstormer
The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh
Storybook Treats Ice Cream
Frontierland
Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
Splash Mountain
Golden Oak Outpost
Pecos Bill Tall Tale Inn and Café
Westward Ho
Frontierland Turkey Leg Cart
Frontierland Churro Wagon
Liberty Square
Haunted Mansion
Sleepy Hollow
Tomorrowland
Astro Orbiter
Buzz Lightyear's Ranger Spin
Monster's Inc. Laugh Floor
Space Mountain
Stitch's Great Escape
Tomorrowland Speedway
Tomorrowland Transit Authority People Mover
Cosmic Ray’s Starlight Café
The Lunching Pad

Upvote 0

CtDisneyGuy33

Original Poster
Kids- what are those? Arent we all kids on here? :) No, its all adults (used loosely) going, so I think we have to check this out now. I'm just surprised there isn't more info on it. Again, this is why this site seems great with everyone's insight. Wow, costumes and candy, I think I'm sold. Thank you

Upvote 0

CtDisneyGuy33

Original Poster
Wow, Vader thank you for the list. Seems like most of the rides we usually hit are open. I didn't realize it was such a seperate event. I'm sure we will all have a great time.

Upvote 0

JillC LI

There's plenty open during the Halloween Party, and it is worth checking out once. The Boo To You Parade is fun, and Hallowishes fireworks are great. It is fun to be there in costume (adults too) and to trick or treat in the MK as well as to see some of the more rare characters. Although the party officially starts at 7pm, you can get into the MK at 4pm with your ticket.

The F&WF was a favorite event of ours. There's no entry fee (other than to EPCOT itself), but the food/drinks do cost money. If you are on the dining plan, you can use your Snack credits towards food purchases at the kiosks. Working your way around the World Showcase nibbling on food and drink is a fun way to spend the afternoon.

October is a great time of year to go - lower crowds, nicer weather, and the above two events.

Upvote 0

CtDisneyGuy33

Original Poster
Wow, I truly was in the dark on this. I had no idea.

I wonder if during October they will have the Limited Magic events or because of the Halloween events, that will be the only special events going on? Any insight?

Upvote 0

Weather_Lady

We visited last October (2012). I can't speak for MNNSHP, but you'll love the light October crowds in general. The Food and Wine Festival seemed like a lot of fun. It was great for some delicious "grazing," although it did lead to overly-congested walkways, especially in the evening, and we had to keep a vigilant eye out, as tipsy, oblivious guests seemed forever poised to step on our two small children.

Upvote 0

l4dybu6

Wow, I truly was in the dark on this. I had no idea.

I wonder if during October they will have the Limited Magic events or because of the Halloween events, that will be the only special events going on? Any insight?
Welcome to the forums :)
And they will probably have a Limited Time Magic event on Halloween week and maybe other stuff closer to the holiday in the other parks.

Upvote 0

Bobs87

We used to visit in October when I was at high school as we would have two weeks off and crowds and weather were great. Unfortunately school terms changed and along with it the two weeks in October. Therefore we have been in July, August, December (christmas) and April (Easter) and still look back fondly on the October crowds that we miss. It is a great time to go and the food and wine festival is great (although I have never been now I'm alcohol drinking age!)

MNSSHP has mixed reviews on how busy it gets. I personally never felt it was too busy and we visited twice, both on Halloween night itself. After visiting at Easter and Christmas, and trust me that is busy, I don't feel Halloween is any busier than the summer crowds! It's bearable! :)

Upvote 0

Disneymom201

We've done MNSSHP 5 times and love it!!! We also took the boys on The Haunted Carriage ride a few years ago located at Ft. Wilderness. That too was a lot of fun. I think I booked it by calling (407) WDW-play. If I remember correctly a few carriages run every half hour nightly through the month of October.
We've been to Disney in August once and November twice, but keep heading back in October. We love it then. Can't beat the crowds or the weather!!! Have a wonderful vacation. 188 days for us :)

Upvote 0

WDW 3

October is our favorite time. Weather is wonderful. Crowds are managable and the Halloween party is FUN!!
And since you are all adults :))) when the parks close early you can use the evening checking out the resort lounges. We did just for fun it's our form of resort hopping.

Upvote 0

agorna

I too am going to Disney in oct... Oct 12-20th for my honeymoon :) does anyone know when they announce the days of MNSSHP? We start making dining reservations tomorrow and the day of the party will def play a part in what restaurants we reserve when

Upvote 0

draybook

I too am going to Disney in oct... Oct 12-20th for my honeymoon :) does anyone know when they announce the days of MNSSHP? We start making dining reservations tomorrow and the day of the party will def play a part in what restaurants we reserve when

From my prior knowledge of the calendars, look for the 7pm closings in the MK, those are your party nights. Most likely are Tuesday nights, Friday nights, and possibly another night. I'm not sure on the other one since we've never been in October.

Upvote 0

luv

MNSSHP: luv's Not To Be Missed List... :D

(This is just my personal thing and not official in any way. Caveat emptor - and you didn't pay me, anyway, so you get what you get.;))

1. Headless Horseman - he rides before the parades and may be the highlight of the night. (Doesn't ride if the ground is wet and not safe for the horse.)

2. The Boo to You parade, which starts in Frontierland, goes to the hub and on down Main Street, is Disney's best parade, all year long. Try to get a good seat. By "good", I mean on the curb or at the rope. No one place is much better than any other, IMO. But it's more fun if you can see the Headless Horseman and parade stuff easily. Also, at the end, they hand out suckers to KIDS in the front, so a little extra bonus for your time and trouble invested in being up front and defending your spot. The 2012 parades were at 8:15 and 10:30.

3. Fireworks. The fireworks ("Hallowishes") themselves aren't all that amazing, but they're fun and the soundtrack is awesome.

4. The Haunted Mansion. The ride is the same, but there is a ghost who will chat with you as you enter the line and the staff are all decked out. Pretty cool.

5. The barbershop quartet. They're dressed for Halloween and sing Halloweeny songs. One of my favorite parts.

6. The Villains Mix n Mingle. The villains sing and dance on the castle stage and them come down for brief meet n greets. I don't go meet the Villains. If you want to do that, be up front and ready to book over to them when they come down. They don't stay long! But the show is good.

NEW THIS YEAR!! A new Celebrate The Magic (show projected on the castle before the fireworks) will be done. Per the Mickey Monitor, "the sneakiest and most infamous Disney villains will do their best to bring their creepiness to the towers and turrets." (I'm a little excited about this. :))

Trick-or-Treating - for kids and adults alike. They give you a small plastic bag when you enter. Wherever they hand out wristbands, they'll be handing out bags. They also sell a larger and more sturdy bag, if you want to get that. If your kid has a favorite pumpkin or something that they like to collect candy in, you can bring it. Lines get shorter later in the night. Sometimes there are candy trails - the one that begins in Fantasyland, back by Dumbo, and ends by Space Mountain is used more often than not...and it only runs one-way, so don't try to start it in Tomorrowland. Won't happen. :)

Meet & Greets - multiple character meet n greets (e.g. Seven Dwarfs! All together!) are set up around the park. My favorite is the one where you stand in a hitchhiking pose and they add the HM hitchhiking ghosts to it later. You can do M&Gs with characters wearing costumes, too. There are a bunch, but the lines do build, especially for the 7 Dwarfs. A lot of people start lining up for the dwarfs before the party begins.

Dance parties - for little kids (or anyone, really) - they're pretty loud, but the characters do a nice job with the kids. I generally avoid these, but the little kids are very cute, dancing with the characters.

Souvenirs - party-specific stuff to buy, if you want something from the event, like a pin or whatever. People have posted that they run out of T-shirts early in the evening, so if you want one, you might want to get there early. (I personally think they are kind of ugly and wouldn't bother, but to each, his own. :)) There is no running out of pins! And no lack of selection on pins, either. If you like to buy pins, you can drop a bundle.

Tickets - MNSSHP is a "hard ticket" event. You will need a MNSSHP ticket to attend. (You do not need separate admission to the park.) The party is a park-wide event and your party ticket gives you access to all of it. I don't buy mine until the day of the party because I won't go in the rain. But if you put off buying a ticket until the day of the party, you risk having them sell out. It's a hard choice to make. Party dates and ticket prices can be found here: http://www.wdwmagic.com/events/mick...-scary-halloween-party-ticket-now-on-sale.htm

Passholder Advance Purchase Discounts for 2013:
September 10, 13, 17, 20, 24, 27 - $56 adult, $51 children 3-9 (plus tax).
September 29, October 3, 6, 10, 14, 17, 20, 22, 24 - $58 adult, $53 children 3-9 (plus tax.)
(AP holders - remember to go through the toll plaza before 7:00 or you'll be charged to park!)

Wristbands - they'll give you one when you enter, if you enter around party time. Multiple places where you can pick one up if you've been in the park during the day - just give them your party ticket. You'll need to show your wristband periodically to the wristband police, who set up human blockades to prevent people who didn't pay for the party from being there. They even interrupted us while we were eating once and demanded to see our wristbands.

Maps - there are special park maps, just for the party. It lists the rides and places to eat that are open during the party, dance party and Trick-or-Treat locations...and has the all-important parade, villain show and fireworks times. They're cute, too. :) Pick one up! Whenever these maps come out, you will find the info here, so you can check it all out before you go, if you want. Last year's map: http://www.wdwmagic.com/events/mick...t-so-scary-halloween-party-guide-map-2012.htm

Weather - it can be very hot (especially September or early in October) and it can get cold (especially later in the month).

Costumes - No way to predict temps, so if you have costumes, try to make them adaptable to any temp. Because that's so easy, lol. ;) Adults can dress up, too (but it isn't required. Some do, some don't. Whatever you choose, you won't feel out of place.) Some people go all out on their costumes and some are very funny, so it's entertaining to see them all. Disney frowns upon and may not let you wear masks that will obscure your vision, so leave those out. It is the only time of year that adults can go to the parks in Disney character costumes and many do. I don't know what the rule is on what time you can enter the park with your costume on, but have seen people in costumes as early as four or five o'clock. You can get spooky with the costumes, but not too gory.

Although the party begins at 7:00, they usually allow people with just a party ticket into the MK around 4:00.

If you have an AP that gives you free parking, it doesn't cover MNSSHP. So, be sure to get through the toll plaza before 7:00. If you don't, be prepared to pony up the dough, flyboy! ($15)

If you all are into the horror part of Halloween, check out Halloween Horror Nights at Uni. Tons of fun...but not for children!

Have a great time!!!!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

CtDisneyGuy33

Original Poster
Thanks for the knowledge! I really appreciate it.

So, would you suggest we buy Party tickets before normally? I know the weather will be questionable, but I guess my answer if we should buy tixs ahead of time as they do sell out. Is this correct?

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom