October Space Shuttle Launch

MouseearsDeb

We will be in Florida Oct. 11-19. Oct. 16 is a targeted date for a space shuttle launch. I know chances are slim to none that it will actually go off on schedule. But, if it were to remain on schedule, does anyone know how they operate the tours? Eight years ago we didn't get to see the shuttle launch but we were able to see the crawler going back from the launch pad. Wow! Boy does it move SLOW! But it was really cool.

Does anyone know offhand how far in advance they move the shuttle out to the launch pad if the launch date is the 16th?

DS16 is an aspiring Nuclear Scientist. (That's what he wants to be and probably will be) He'd really enjoy being able to see the launch even if we weren't right there on the compound. Does anyone know if there are any 'day' programs where maybe dad and son could attend? I've seen the one for ATX but he's not really looking at being an astronaut. (he like Mission to Mars but if anything involves heights, :hurl:. He'd like to see more of the controls, rockets, etc.

Thanks a bunch!
Deb

MouseearsDeb

Original Poster
We will be there the exact same dates as you, and we are also planning on going to the launch if it stays on schedule. I can't answer most of your questions, but here is where I got my info about the tours: :http://www.kennedyspacecenter.com/launches/index.asp
I really hope it stays on schedule. Even if we didn't go over to Kennedy it should still be a sight.

I guess I'll have to call to really get my answers. Seems like when there is a shuttle launch the tour is a little short. I don't believe they get to go to all the places that they normally do. But, I'm not sure.

Upvote 0

MouseearsDeb

Original Poster
We will be there the exact same dates as you, and we are also planning on going to the launch if it stays on schedule. I can't answer most of your questions, but here is where I got my info about the tours: :http://www.kennedyspacecenter.com/launches/index.asp
BTW, thanks for the link. I'd love to be able to get one of the launch viewing tickets but theres no refunds and if it's delayed after our trip, we'd be out of luck (and a couple $$$$). I guess the best thing would be just to wait 'till the time of our trip and see if it actually goes. If not, then maybe we'll do the regular tour.

Upvote 0

PrinceDon

No Tours on Launch days

I don't beleive they give any tours on launch days. They use all of their buses to get people out to the viewing area and back again. Everyone who doesn't have the expensive/rare ticket to go out stays in the visitor center. I have seen 3 launches, 2 from the viewing area at KFC and one on a WDW bus while turning the corner. If you have a chance, go see the launch. Well worth the money and the risk of not seeing anything.
The best information on the web seems to be at http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/forums/forum-view.asp?fid=3 (Specific to the october flight).
Anyway, my suggestion is, if at all possible, at least get over to Titusville for the launch. It will be great.
-Don

Upvote 0

WDWRLD

We saw a night launch from POR which was spectacular. We also say a afternoon launch from the backside of the Daytona speedway a couple years ago which wasnt all that great. The night launch seemed to be visiable for 3 or 4 minutes where as the Daytona one was over with in 15 to 20 seconds. Also the sonic boom was much louder at POR...dosent make sense to me, but it was.

Upvote 0

angelfaerie52

The launch package that gets you as close as possible sells out right away. I moved here this year and there have been a couple launches. I've wanted to go, but my crazy academic schedule isn't conducive to it. However, some of the ones within the property but further away don't seem to sell out, so if you had internet access or called them a few days out, you could book then. They generally know if it's going to go by then... but also, I think the one in January, they brought the shuttle out then decided it wasn't ready. :/

If you don't have a launch package, but have a rental car, you can drive out to Cocoa and other areas (I am not sure of where, new here) and see the launch there. It might not last a long time, but the shuttle is a lot bigger looking. They are also viewable in Orlando... I saw one in East Orlando in August. :p

I kind of think the sonic booms that happen on return are better. The last one shook my house. :p

Upvote 0

S&K_Md

We will be in Florida Oct. 11-19. Oct. 16 is a targeted date for a space shuttle launch. I know chances are slim to none that it will actually go off on schedule. But, if it were to remain on schedule, does anyone know how they operate the tours? Eight years ago we didn't get to see the shuttle launch but we were able to see the crawler going back from the launch pad. Wow! Boy does it move SLOW! But it was really cool.

Does anyone know offhand how far in advance they move the shuttle out to the launch pad if the launch date is the 16th?

DS16 is an aspiring Nuclear Scientist. (That's what he wants to be and probably will be) He'd really enjoy being able to see the launch even if we weren't right there on the compound. Does anyone know if there are any 'day' programs where maybe dad and son could attend? I've seen the one for ATX but he's not really looking at being an astronaut. (he like Mission to Mars but if anything involves heights, :hurl:. He'd like to see more of the controls, rockets, etc.

Thanks a bunch!
Deb

Assuming schedules stay as they are, this October mission for Atlantis, STS-125, will be carrying the 5th servicing mission to the Hubble Space Telescope. As of right now, the "official" launch date for October is "no earlier than" the 8th. I have not heard whether this will be planned as a day or night launch - that depends on the mechanics of HST's orbit and when exactly it passes over KSC. I'm not exactly sure when the orbiter will roll out to the Pad 39 complex, but it probably depends on the timing of the processing of the payload cannister, etc. My best guess is probably 4-5 days. Launches can and do get delayed, as you seem to know already, so there is still a chance that a visit in the 11-15th timeframe will allow you to view the launch. And to echo the comments of one of the previous posters, your best bet for viewing will probably be Titusville and surrounding areas. If it does turn out to be a night launch, I've heard that's a pretty spectacular show from nearly the entire peninsula. Good luck in any case! Wish I could see it myself! I'll be rather busy whenever all that happens though... :)

Upvote 0

happymom52003

^^I thought it was the shuttle Endeavour, and that the date was set for October 16 for an 8:00 p.m launch...do I have incorrect info?:shrug: I sure hope not. I know there is always a good chance it will be delayed, but we are SOOOO hoping for the chance to see it when we are there! My son is obsessed with the space shuttle....he gets so excited just watching it on t.v. I'd love for him to see it in person!

Upvote 0

S&K_Md

^^I thought it was the shuttle Endeavour, and that the date was set for October 16 for an 8:00 p.m launch...do I have incorrect info?:shrug: I sure hope not. I know there is always a good chance it will be delayed, but we are SOOOO hoping for the chance to see it when we are there! My son is obsessed with the space shuttle....he gets so excited just watching it on t.v. I'd love for him to see it in person!

Well... it depends on what schedule reality to which you subscribe. What you have is what is currently posted on the official shuttle site. From what I've heard though, the chances are pretty good that STS-126 (the Endeavour mission) will get moved (possibly up to the -125 August slot), allowing STS-125 to move to the October date. All is still very much in flux though, as these things tend to be. Wish I could be more specific, but... :shrug: I really hope you and your son get a chance to see something -- there aren't too many more chances to see the shuttle!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom