Observation: Animal Kingdom always does a really fantastic job of themeing its ride vehicles.

Bairstow

Original Poster
With photos of the new Avatar land ride vehicles out, something has occurred to me- every single ride at that park does a really amazing job of contextualizing why each ride is there, who you are as a guest, and why you're getting into a ride vehicle that looks the way it does.
No other Disney park does this quite as well.
7512002522972-1.jpg

ak_krr2.jpg
350px-Safarientrance.jpg

Expedition_Everest_Train_06.jpg

Most of these are fairly obvious and play on the idea that in the Animal Kingdom lands and rides, you, the real-life tourist, are still essentially a tourist in the fiction of the land.
In Harambe, you're at a game reserve and they have safari vehicles to give you a closer view of the animals. At Kali River Rapids, you're at a rafting outpost and the rafts are going to show you around the Kingdom of Anandapur. Same with the Everest trains- they're there to take you from the outfitting station up to the base camp for your expedition. The time rovers on Dinosaur are explained to you in detail.

In every case, seeing and getting into the ride vehicle requires very little additional suspension of disbelief beyond concept already being used in the land. Even the rides at Dino-Rama are the exception that proves the rule because you're not supposed to see them as anything more than amusement rides that Chester and Hester set up at their little roadside tourist trap. There's a unity of theme here that really deserves more recognition.

On the other side of things, the ride vehicles at the Magic Kingdom or Epcot often make very little sense at all when you consider them I'm context. Some work just fine, like the boats on Pirates or Big Thunder, but if you stop and think about it why are are weird, semi-spherical "carriages" moving around inside a Haunted Mansion in a long chain? Is there any explanation at Splash Mountain why we're sitting inside hollowed-out logs? Why are the pirate ships on Peter Pan so small, and are we boarding them inside the Darlings' bedroom?

IMG_0134.jpg

What are these things even supposed to be? Theater seats? In the street? Or are we on a movie set?
Does anyone care?

24502012-01-07_ABOM.jpg

Not that there's anything wrong with a looser approach to the thematic justification for a ride vehicle setup, and even first-time park visitors will often accept the presence of a particular ride vehicle without question. I'm just pointing out how there's a consistency and thoroughness of approach in place at every single ride in Animal Kingdom that I don't think has been matched by any other theme park in the world.

Last edited:

FigmentForver96

With photos of the new Avatar land ride vehicles out, something has occurred to me- every single ride at that park does a really amazing job of contextualizing why each ride is there, who you are as a guest, and why you're getting into a ride vehicle that looks the way it does.
No other Disney park does this quite as well.
7512002522972-1.jpg

ak_krr2.jpg
350px-Safarientrance.jpg

Expedition_Everest_Train_06.jpg

Most of these are fairly obvious and play on the idea that in the Animal Kingdom lands and rides, you, the real-life tourist, are still essentially a tourist in the fiction of the land.
In Harambe, you're at a game reserve and they have safari vehicles to give you a closer view of the animals. At Kali River Rapids, you're at a rafting outpost and the rafts are going to show you around the Kingdom of Anandapur. Same with the Everest trains- they're there to take you from the outfitting station up to the base camp for your expedition. The time rovers on Dinosaur are explained to you in detail.

In every case, seeing and getting into the ride vehicle requires very little additional suspension of disbelief beyond concept already being used in the land. Even the rides at Dino-Rama are the exception that proves the rule because you're not supposed to see them as anything more than amusement rides that Chester and Hester set up at their little roadside tourist trap. There's a unity of theme here that really deserves more recognition.

On the other side of things, the ride vehicles at the Magic Kingdom or Epcot often make very little sense at all when you think about it. Some work just fine, like the boats on Pirates or Big THunder, but if you stop and thing about it why are are weird, semi-spherical "carriages" moving around inside a Haunted Mansion in a long chain? Is there any explanation at Splash Mountain why we're sitting inside hollowed-out logs? Why are the pirate ships on Peter Pan so small, and are we boarding them inside the Darlings' bedroom?

IMG_0134.jpg

What are these things even supposed to be? Theater seats? In the street? Or are we on a movie set?
Does anyone care?

24502012-01-07_ABOM.jpg

Not that there's anything wrong with a looser approach to the thematic justification for a ride vehicle setup, and even first-time park visitors will often accept the presence of a particular ride vehicle without question. I'm just pointing out how there's a consistency and thoroughness of approach in place at every single ride in Animal Kingdom that I don't think has been matched by any other theme park in the world.
I think it's just another reason Animal Kingdom is the DisneySea of America. The detail is there down to the smallest of details. Like you said, the other parks aren't hurt by their ride vehicles but they don't always tell a story either. Animal Kingdom does, and they do it beautifully.

Chef Mickey

Not to disagree, but the logs on Splash Mountain kind of make sense and the clam shells for Little Mermaid aren't the craziest idea.

TGRM has terrible ride vehicles, but it was function over form.

belledream

Great post! AK is such an immersive park with touches of décor that don't detract from the main style...au natural. You tend to accept peeling walls and hanging pots and pans without second thought - because it's done so well, feels natural, unforced, and ungimmicky. It's a good job playing with what can be considered otherwise, pretty mundane items, and the ride vehicles always feel appropriate to the adventure you're about to embark on.

DuckTalesWooHoo1987

I've said before that AK has always sorta been my red headed stepchild of Disneyworld. However, last September when we done the Membership Magic DVC night there I walked away with a TOTALLY new appreciation of AK. You really can't tell how beautiful that park is until you see it at night. It is so well done. The night theming of the Mine Train is really brilliant and the MK at night is my favorite time in all of Disneyworld. However, AK at night is like the great night theming of the Mine Train park wide. I highly recommend it at night for anyone that has never done it. One of the best views in all of Disneyworld is actually from the very front seat of Everest at night. It's unreal beautiful at night!

Last edited:

castlecake2.0

You raise a good point I never thought of before!

I remember reading somewhere that in the design of Splash Mountain that there was a reason for the floating logs and they're designed to look like they were created/hollowed out by beavers, but I have no idea now what book this was in.

Surfin' Tuna

I agree it was all Joe Rhode. If we had gotten the proposed AK versus the watered down park that we got, I think it would have been a very different 15 or so years at Disney. Rhode just seems to get it. That being said, Martin is right, MK does have a few ride cars that make sense. It's easier to get "them all right" when you only have a few to get right. Even my wife will tell you that I am right sometime.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom