NYE and 23 days of Disney

Today we start our journey to the world. After a great evening at Caesars Windsor (the hotel), it's a quick breakfast and off to Detroit Metro for an 11:30 flight into MCO.

Our stay will consist of all nights at BLT, 4 in a MK Studio, 11 in a SV 1 Bedroom and 8 in a MK Grand Villa. We plan on doing the pre NYE show on the beach at the Polynesean and NYE at the MK but we'll see how that goes.

We're flying Airtran today, with fee onboard Internet, so it will allow me to keep this report up to date.

David

Daddio

WDWMAGIC Sponsor
Original Poster
We had no interest in spending a whole day at the Magic Kingdom, leading up to New Year's Eve, so we headed to Downtown Disney Market Place to see what was going on. We figured we chance getting into the park later in the day.

Stitch is still up to no good.

DSC01590.jpg

It was lunch at Rainforest Cafe.

DSC01584.jpg

DSC01586.jpg

DSC01585.jpg

DSC01583.jpg

David

Daddio

WDWMAGIC Sponsor
Original Poster
After lunch, we went back to BLT and grabbed a water taxi over to Wilderness Lodge for a quick walk around.

DSC01625.jpg

DSC01624.jpg

DSC01628.jpg

DSC01629.jpg

DSC01630.jpg

DSC01631.jpg

DSC01633.jpg

David

Daddio

WDWMAGIC Sponsor
Original Poster
Myth: If you don't get to Magic Kingdom early in the day of New Year's Eve, you won't get in.

Fact: We went at 4:30 and had no problem entering. They were still coming it at 8:00 in the evening. I was surprised to see the following:

DSC01591.jpg

DSC01592.jpg

DSC01593.jpg

DSC01594.jpg

DSC01595.jpg

DSC01596.jpg

Most of the crowds were inside the different lands but the wait times were not as bad as on December 29, 2010. Here's a shot of the Castle Show with Mickey Mouse.

DSC01603.jpg

We stood in line to ride the People Mover. I have never stood in line for the People Mover, but then again, I have never had an opportunity to see this guy before. Sometimes, lines have a useful purpose.

DSC01604.jpg

I had mentioned earlier that every food cart or open space that could be utilized for serving food was operational. I was wrong. El Pirata Y El Perico was not open. I have never seen it open.

DSC01605-1.jpg

David

harveyt0206

Wow, I honestly don't know what I would do with 23 full days at the World. That sounds like pure bliss to me. Thank goodness you weren't under any time constraints your first few days. I feel bad for anyone who only had a few days to experience everything and ended up riding a handful of rides due to those unbelievable wait times.

Have a wonderful trip. The weather looks likes it's going to be pretty good most of this upcoming week. :wave:

Daddio

WDWMAGIC Sponsor
Original Poster
New Year's Day was check out day. Out of the Magic Kingdom View studio that is. It is also the day we take the Magical Express to the airport to pick up the rental car for the next 18 days. The prices have fallen to an acceptable level now that the BIG one is over.

Not much to choose from on National's Executive Aisle. Strictly cars. Impala's, Camrys, lots and lots of Chargers and the odd Nissan Altima. I have forgotten nothing. That was it. Boring. Oh well, the Impala has remote start so that's what I took.

Our one bedroom Standard View was not ready until 3:50 PM, so we rode the water taxi and walked around the grounds for a while.

DSC01616.jpg

DSC01617.jpg

Our room is on the second floor with a lovely view of a Palm tree.

DSC01634.jpg

DSC01635.jpg

We settled in, got bell services to bring up our Owner's Lockers and unpacked and put everything away. Dinner was at the Pepper Market at Coronado Springs. Nothing eventful, just a good meal. I didn't get any photos, though I should have.

Early to bed, but not early to rise ends our first day of 2011.

David

smk

Thanks for taking the time each day or so to update this report. I am enjoying the play by play of your visit! If I can't be there might as well enjoy someone elses trip!

The second room looks wonderful, spacious. A palm tree looks wonderful when compared to a snow pile! Carry on, keep having fun! :wave:

Mikester71

LOVING the trip report and pictures David!!! :sohappy: Glad to read and see that the weather is finally starting to warm up a bit down there for ya. I know how hard you guys got hit in December there in London with all the snow (just down the 402 in Sarnia here). :wave:

Enjoy the rest of your trip and keep the GREAT pics coming! Need something to tide me over until our trip in March!!! :D

Daddio

WDWMAGIC Sponsor
Original Poster
LOVING the trip report and pictures David!!! :sohappy: Glad to read and see that the weather is finally starting to warm up a bit down there for ya. I know how hard you guys got hit in December there in London with all the snow (just down the 402 in Sarnia here). :wave:

Enjoy the rest of your trip and keep the GREAT pics coming! Need something to tide me over until our trip in March!!! :D

Hello Sarnia. It is nice to get away from the snow and cold. It's up in the high 70's again today with plenty of sunshine. Wish you could be here.

More to come.

David

Daddio

WDWMAGIC Sponsor
Original Poster
Day 6, January 2, 2011

Not much went on during the day. We did some grocery shopping, cleaned up some stuff from work (something I have to do once in a while) and continued to get settled into our villa. We are not ones for cooking in the unit but with this stay being 23 days, we're determined to do some HOME cooking. It turned out good.

After dinner, we took a drive over to Hollywood Studios for one of the last few evenings of the Osborne Lights.

DSC01638.jpg

DSC01640.jpg

DSC01641.jpg

DSC01645.jpg

I've captured a short video of the lights and am uploading it as I write this. As soon as it is completed, I'll post it separately.

Obviously, one does not go to Hollywood Studios and leave without at least checking to see if there is any chance of riding Toy Story. We did. Check it out that is. 100 minutes wait time. I don't have the legs or the patience so we decided to call it an evening and head back to BLT.

We passed this on the way. I don't remeber seeing it before.

DSC01648.jpg

David

WDWFigment

Great report thus far - it's crazy seeing the Christmas break crowds, but like you said, when you're there for so long, or with purposes other than the parks and attractions, it really isn't that bad. Still affects those DVC point charts, although I imagine it's only a small dent for you! ;)

Daddio

WDWMAGIC Sponsor
Original Poster
Great report thus far - it's crazy seeing the Christmas break crowds, but like you said, when you're there for so long, or with purposes other than the parks and attractions, it really isn't that bad. Still affects those DVC point charts, although I imagine it's only a small dent for you! ;)

Love your avatar. The points for the next few weeks are lower so that helps. Also hoping the crowds will start to depart and we'll get some rides in.

David

Daddio

WDWMAGIC Sponsor
Original Poster
Day 8, January 4, 2011

We went up to Universal Studios to meet some very good friends of ours from California who were also staying at Disney. We had spent the evening of the 30th with them on the beach at the Polynesian watching the rehearsal.

The crowds were quite heavy but we managed to get on the Mummy ride within 15 minutes. The Rip Rocket line was horrendous, but while we were standing outside the queue debating what to do next the ride broke down and everybody left. Being the chit chatters that we are, we stood there discussing the rest of the day when suddenly they opened the ride again. We scrambled to get in line and were on the ride, front seat, in less than 5 minutes.

Universal Studios

DSC01649-1.jpg

DSC01650-1.jpg

DSC01651-1.jpg

Horror Make Up Show

DSC01654-1.jpg

DSC01655-1.jpg

DSC01656.jpg

DSC01657-1.jpg

David

Daddio

WDWMAGIC Sponsor
Original Poster
Day 9, January 5, 2011

This morning we again join our California friends, this time for breakfast at the Wave. They offer a buffet but I am not sure if it is because the parks are busy or if they are trying it out as a new feature.

I'll pass on this one in the future. I don't usually speak poorly of any situation unless it really, really irritates me. Background: I love the scrambled eggs at Crystal Palace and Trails End. Creamy and fresh. I can't wait to get some from the Wave. It's often all I'll eat. Lots of em.

On with the story: Without taking the time to look at the offerings, I sign up for the $19.00 buffet. Mistake. There is very liittle offerings on this buffet and 10% of it has not been restocked. Empty bowls. Terrible. However, they have scrambled eggs so I should be OK. Load my plate and back to the table. WORST scrambled eggs I have ever had. They've been sitting under the heat lamp so long, they've become crusty.

Waiter asks how everything is and I tell him it is the WORST buffet I've ever eaten at, pointing out my eggs as an example. He apologizes. Returns a few minutes later with a plate of eggs and says "try these, they just put them out". Same thing. Dry and crusty. I tell him. He say's "sorry". Hands us the bill. Never going back to that restaurant again.

DSC01659.jpg

DSC01658.jpg

Let's go to Magic Kingdom and dump this negative attitude. There can be nothing negative when at Disney.

Oh Oh! What's this? Is this the new procedure now when you try to park at Bay Lake Tower if you're not staying there?

DSC01660.jpg

DSC01661.jpg

(I think it was a cast member parked in the wrong lot)

Magic Kingdom

DSC01662.jpg

The crowds seem a little thinner.

DSC01663.jpg

We didn't ride too many rides. Got on Space Mountain, Thunder Mountain, Pirates and the Peoplemover.

The weather has improved and we're up in he high 70's with sunshine. Finally.

David

Daddio

WDWMAGIC Sponsor
Original Poster
Day 9, 10, and 11

I've been a bit under the weather so haven't put alot of effort into doing much, or posting pictures. The benefit of staying at Bay Lake Tower is that you can walk over to the Magic Kingdom, walk around for a half hour or so, realize it is too busy for your taste, and head back to the resort.

We've been to the Pleasure Island AMC theatres to watch Black Swan and Season of a Witch, eaten at House of Blues and done a bit of shopping at the Prime Outlet Mall, on International Drive.

We caught the 3PM parade at Magic Kingdom yesterday, which has been running since the Christmas crowds arrived. By the way, Christmas decorations at the Contemporary and Bay Lake Tower were gone yesterday, but still up at MK.

DSC01674.jpg

DSC01675.jpg

DSC01676.jpg

DSC01678.jpg

DSC01679.jpg

DSC01680.jpg

DSC01681.jpg

DSC01682.jpg

David

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom