NY Times : "Disney Is Spending More on Theme Parks Than It Did on Pixar, Marvel and Lucasfilm Combined"

eliza61nyc

Well, to start, there is making a profit and there is price gouging.

$5 dollars for 3 cups of popcorn falls under the price gouging category.

$4 for a 16 ounce size (I believe) bottle of filtered tap water is price gouging.

Paying an additional fee for a resort parking lot space is price gouging, especially at the room rates Disney is charging. Just because some other resorts are doing it (and others are NOT) doesn't make it right.

It's price gouging, above and beyond a hefty profit margin.

So that's the news.

~NM

lol psfff that ain't news, that's pretty much every major travel destination in America. lol, I went to the movies over the Thanksgiving holiday to see a star is born, medium popcorn and a drink 18.00 bucks and evidently this was the "packaged" price which is supposed to be lower than if you purchase individually.
Yikes

I find that most business tend to "follow the leader". once one starts charging some thing the others usually follow suit.

Outside of motels I haven't been to a hotel that doesn't charge parking fees, but I tend to vacation in major destinations.
lol, of course it's right. the company's job is to make a profit for the people who invested in it.

Last edited:

PB Watermelon

Well, to start, there is making a profit and there is price gouging.

$5 dollars for 3 cups of popcorn falls under the price gouging category.

$4 for a 16 ounce size (I believe) bottle of filtered tap water is price gouging.

Paying an additional fee for a resort parking lot space is price gouging, especially at the room rates Disney is charging. Just because some other resorts are doing it (and others are NOT) doesn't make it right.

It's price gouging, above and beyond a hefty profit margin.

So that's the news.

~NM

If you choose to spend $5 on popcorn, that's your decision. You don't have to eat on property at WDW, you can also go back to your hotel to eat food you've packed and purchased from a grocery or convenience store. Disneyland has lockers and a picnic area right by the main gate. You can always pack a lunch, put it in the locker, eat all you want. As for liquids, you can bring your own water bottles and refill them at any of the water fountains all over the parks. As for parking, that means you have a car on property, yes? So what's stopping you from going off-property to eat anytime you want? There are legions of ways to save money at the Disney Parks, there are entire chapters in books and on-line resources explaining ways to save at the parks. It's up to you to do the work. When I read complaints like this, it always reminds me of two friends from college who went to Disneyland and complained about how long the lines were. I asked them what time they arrived at the park. They said they showed up around noon. In July. Of course it's going to be packed, that's why you get your tail out of bed and show up half an hour before the park opens. You'll have the run of the place. They didn't know how to use the Fastpass system. They did no prep work whatsoever. Ultimately, you have to do some reading and learning and your own work to maximize your money and park experience. Do people go to the Grand Canyon or Hawaii or England or St. Thomas or any vacation requiring a sizable chuck of change, without doing any work whatsoever? Why is a trip to Disney World or Disneyland Park any different? I won't even go to the local zoo without reading up on closures, weather, prices, advice from forum members, etc. Ultimately, it's on you.

Last edited:

Ninja Mom

lol psfff that ain't news, that's pretty much every major travel destination in America. lol, I went to the movies over the Thanksgiving holiday to see a star is born, medium popcorn and a drink 18.00 bucks and evidently this was the "packaged" price which is supposed to be lower than if you purchase individually.
Yikes

I find that most business tend to "follow the leader". once one starts charging some thing the others usually follow suit.

Outside of motels I haven't been to a hotel that doesn't charge parking fees, but I tend to vacation in major destinations.
lol, of course it's right. the company's job is to make a profit for the people who invested in it.

I just returned from a RESORT off property that didn't charge either parking or resort fees. It was on Palm Parkway less than 3 minutes from a Disney property entrance. It had a free breakfast and happy hour with wine and beer and there was a free shuttle to Epcot. I paid an average of $101 per night and than included taxes. For that I was in a suite with a kitchen, living room 1 bathroom and 2 queen beds. My Momma told me I better shop around and I did.

If you choose to spend $5 on popcorn, that's your decision. You don't have to eat on property at WDW, you can also go back to your hotel to eat food you've packed and purchased from a grocery or convenience store. Disneyland has lockers and a picnic area right by the main gate. You can always pack a lunch, put it in the locker, eat all you want. As for liquids, you can bring your own water bottles and refill them at any of the water fountains all over the parks. As for parking, that means you have a car on property, yes? So what's stopping you from going off-property to eat anytime you want? There are legions of ways to save money at the Disney Parks, there are entire chapters in books and on-line resources explaining ways to save at the parks. It's up to you to do the work. When I read complaints like this, it always reminds me of two friends from college who went to Disneyland and complained about how long the lines were. I asked them what time they arrived at the park. They said they showed up around noon. In July. Of course it's going to be packed, that's why you get your tail out of bed and show up half an hour before the park opens. You'll have the run of the place. They didn't know how to use the Fastpass system. They did no prep work whatsoever. Ultimately, you have to do some reading and learning and your own work to maximize your money and park experience. Do people go to the Grand Canyon or Hawaii or England or St. Thomas or any vacation requiring a sizable chuck of change, without doing any work whatsoever? Why is a trip to Disney World or Disneyland Park any different? I won't even go to the local zoo without reading up on closures, weather, prices, advice from forum members, etc. Ultimately, it's on you.

I did take my drinks and meals to the parks. I did eat off site. I did bring my own snacks. I do all that. It still doesn't justify the way Disney is going to extremes to over charge the public to bolster their profit statements. Management comes right out and says that they raised the prices on food, beverages, resort rooms, souvenirs and park tickets to boost profits. From observations over an extended period this is the primary strategy to remain profitable. Then they try to justify this strategy by saying the parks are too crowded... But if that were the case we'd be seeing regular phased closings to control the over crowding, right?

Think about it.
~NM

eliza61nyc

I just returned from a RESORT off property that didn't charge either parking or resort fees. It was on Palm Parkway less than 3 minutes from a Disney property entrance. It had a free breakfast and happy hour with wine and beer and there was a free shuttle to Epcot. I paid an average of $101 per night and than included taxes. For that I was in a suite with a kitchen, living room 1 bathroom and 2 queen beds. My Momma told me I better shop around and I did.

I did take my drinks and meals to the parks. I did eat off site. I did bring my own snacks. I do all that. It still doesn't justify the way Disney is going to extremes to over charge the public to bolster their profit statements. Management comes right out and says that they raised the prices on food, beverages, resort rooms, souvenirs and park tickets to boost profits. From observations over an extended period this is the primary strategy to remain profitable. Then they try to justify this strategy by saying the parks are too crowded... But if that were the case we'd be seeing regular phased closings to control the over crowding, right?

Think about it.
~NM
Of course they do it to raise profits. That's what a business does NM. For some reason you think Disney is supposed to operate on goodwill and pixie dust. Disney is a corporation with shateholders, its first responsibility is to those people. They ARE supposed to charge what the market can bear. You returned from a resort that has to be competitive in a saturated market. Disney does not have to be competitive because they hold the one ace your resort cannot compete with and that's location. In real estate location is everything. For you, price is the driving factor, for others location is key. I know and have read people who simply will always want to be inside the Disney "bubble ". They will pay whatever price the mouse ask

It most certainly justifies the price increase. The justification is extremely simple, a business, any business will charge exactly what the market will bear.

PB Watermelon

Think about it.
~NM

Let me get this straight...you didn't stay on property, you ate off site, you brought your own food...so what are you complaining about again? Things that didn't affect you at all?

Last time I went to Epcot was 2004. They offered a private champagne boat trip on the lake during the Illuminations concert. Sounded awesome, it was $100 a head. Couldn't afford it. Got married in 2007, for our second anniversary, took my wife to the Grand Canyon, to a Sting concert at the Hollywood Bowl with the London Philharmonic, and three days at Disneyland. She had never been to Disneyland or any Disney theme park. Her brother had worked at a crappy off-the-shelf amusement park that was maybe one step up from the rides you'd find at a traveling circus, that was her only concept of a theme park. Told her I couldn't promise her she'd like a trip to Disney, but she should give it a shot -- then, secretly, through my booking agent, I went as far as a guy can go to wow her. VIP seating for Fantasmic, private tours, dining reservations, premium viewing for World of Color which at that time was only a few days old. Even then, there were things too expensive, from uber-lodging at the Grand Canyon to front row seats at the Hollywood bowl, to bypassing the Disneyland Hotel for a Good Neighbor hotel. First ride was Peter Pan, she was stone silent, went straight from there to Dumbo, I hear her crying. "What's wrong?" I ask. "It really is the happiest place on Earth." She was flabbergasted by Peter Pan, overwhelmed by the joy of just walking up Main Street to rope drop and through the castle.

Disneyland isn't a public utility or a one-of-a-kind medication...it's a business. They sell happy, you agree to buy happy. And they have lots of happy to sell, and you are free to buy as much as you want. If you can't afford all the happy, you still get a lot of happy.

Sorry, I just don't understand the mindset of people who don't grasp the simple concept of free markets and goods and services. I'd love someday to stay at the Polynesian or the Grand Floridian, to say nothing of the impossible - a night at the "Dream Suite". So far, Polynesian, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Grand Floridian...too rich for my blood. I still leave Disney World pretty damn happy. Even if I refill my water bottles at the water fountains.

Last edited:

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Of course they do it to raise profits. That's what a business does NM. For some reason you think Disney is supposed to operate on goodwill and pixie dust. Disney is a corporation with shateholders, its first responsibility is to those people. They ARE supposed to charge what the market can bear. You returned from a resort that has to be competitive in a saturated market. Disney does not have to be competitive because they hold the one ace your resort cannot compete with and that's location. In real estate location is everything. For you, price is the driving factor, for others location is key. I know and have read people who simply will always want to be inside the Disney "bubble ". They will pay whatever price the mouse ask

It most certainly justifies the price increase. The justification is extremely simple, a business, any business will charge exactly what the market will bear.
That's how Six Flags looks at it, anyway.

Ninja Mom

Let me get this straight...you didn't stay on property, you ate off site, you brought your own food...so what are you complaining about again? Things that didn't affect you at all?

Last time I went to Epcot was 2004. They offered a private champagne boat trip on the lake during the Illuminations concert. Sounded awesome, it was $100 a head. Couldn't afford it. Got married in 2007, for our second anniversary, took my wife to the Grand Canyon, to a Sting concert at the Hollywood Bowl with the London Philharmonic, and three days at Disneyland. She had never been to Disneyland or any Disney theme park. Her brother had worked at a crappy off-the-shelf amusement park that was maybe one step up from the rides you'd find at a traveling circus, that was her only concept of a theme park. Told her I couldn't promise her she'd like a trip to Disney, but she should give it a shot -- then, secretly, through my booking agent, I went as far as a guy can go to wow her. VIP seating for Fantasmic, private tours, dining reservations, premium viewing for World of Color which at that time was only a few days old. Even then, there were things too expensive, from uber-lodging at the Grand Canyon to front row seats at the Hollywood bowl, to bypassing the Disneyland Hotel for a Good Neighbor hotel. First ride was Peter Pan, she was stone silent, went straight from there to Dumbo, I hear her crying. "What's wrong?" I ask. "It really is the happiest place on Earth." She was flabbergasted by Peter Pan, overwhelmed by the joy of just walking up Main Street to rope drop and through the castle.

Disneyland isn't a public utility or a one-of-a-kind medication...it's a business. They sell happy, you agree to buy happy. And they have lots of happy to sell, and you are free to buy as much as you want. If you can't afford all the happy, you still get a lot of happy.

Sorry, I just don't understand the mindset of people who don't grasp the simple concept of free markets and goods and services. I'd love someday to stay at the Polynesian or the Grand Floridian, to say nothing of the impossible - a night at the "Dream Suite". So far, Polynesian, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Grand Floridian...too rich for my blood. I still leave Disney World pretty damn happy. Even if I refill my water bottles at the water fountains.

It's clear that we will have to agree to disagree.

Eliza: Business also charge more than the market will bear.

PB: I stayed off site because of the price gouging and poor quality rooms and transportation that I experienced during my prior stay. I'm not grasping the mindset of people that will overpay for experiences that don't merit the price that is charged. Yes, it's a business that exists to make money. When Disney takes a turn and starts to offer inferior experiences for higher prices then I have something to complain about. I took my business and my money elsewhere.

The whole reason we are talking about this is because many people are seeing Disney take a turn for the worse. It's hard to see a company that you believed in turn away from offering guests the best that they can manage and instead put the entire focus on extracting the maximum amount of money from the guests. Disney used to be about excellence in offering the experience. Now the focus is exclusively on stock profits first, everything else second.

Again, the both of you don't see it that way. I see it differently from you.

~NM

eliza61nyc

PB: I stayed off site because of the price gouging and poor quality rooms and transportation that I experienced during my prior stay. I'm not grasping the mindset of people that will overpay for experiences that don't merit the price that is charged. Yes, it's a business that exists to make money. When Disney takes a turn and starts to offer inferior experiences for higher prices then I have something to complain about. I took my business and my money elsewhere.

The whole reason we are talking about this is because many people are seeing Disney take a turn for the worse. It's hard to see a company that you believed in turn away from offering guests the best that they can manage and instead put the entire focus on extracting the maximum amount of money from the guests. Disney used to be about excellence in offering the experience. Now the focus is exclusively on stock profits first, everything else second.

~NM

it's all good. I definitely did not want to imply that any thing I say is the right way.
just one note, If a business charges more than the market will bear, they usually go out of business rather quickly especially a service oriented business.
Disney is not charging more than the market can bear (or is it bare? lol) and that is evident by the market still supporting it en masse. If the business tanks, I'm willing to bet good money that they will start offering discounts out the wazoo.

I've only been going since 2000 so again I must always disclose that I didn't go during this "golden period" that every one talks about. so for me the value is absolutely still there. I love the resorts and pretty much I'm not going if I have to stay off site, although in the interest of full disclosure I am a DVC member, I purchased because I believed at the time that hotel rates would increase way faster than inflation. so basically I hedged my cost.

No worries, you're right we look at it differently. I always admit I don't suffer from this emotional attachment to Disney, I don't really "believe" in any vacation company and I never believed in the "hype" of "what would walt do" or "Walt wanted it to be XYZ". So for me it's actually rather simple. I don't compare it to 1985, I compare it to vacation offerings of 2018 and pretty much Disney's cost are not out of line to other public offerings.

Last edited:

thomas998

If you don't understand why people are upset with the escalating prices and plummeting experience then you apparently haven't been going long enough to see what's happening or your the target customer that Disney wants - someone that doesn't consider bang for the buck.

What Disney has been doing would be the equivalent of Rolex continuing to increase the price of their watches, while over the years deciding not to use real gold in the watch, just gold plating... then deciding to electroplate the watches to save more money... then getting rid of the mechanical movement and replacing it with a quartz movement... then deciding they didn't even want to bother with a second hand and removing that from the watch.... The quality of the product dropping over time is what is upsetting to people because they continually charge more and more for less and less.

bigrigross

If you don't understand why people are upset with the escalating prices and plummeting experience then you apparently haven't been going long enough to see what's happening or your the target customer that Disney wants - someone that doesn't consider bang for the buck.

What Disney has been doing would be the equivalent of Rolex continuing to increase the price of their watches, while over the years deciding not to use real gold in the watch, just gold plating... then deciding to electroplate the watches to save more money... then getting rid of the mechanical movement and replacing it with a quartz movement... then deciding they didn't even want to bother with a second hand and removing that from the watch.... The quality of the product dropping over time is what is upsetting to people because they continually charge more and more for less and less.

At the end of the day, Disney wants new customers. New customers have no expectations and bring in more money per person than a repeat visitor (USUALLY). A lot of people only go to Disney World once or twice in their life times. Those people are not going to see the lowering standards. And thus Disney is not going to change. At least until we have another economic downturn like we did in 2008-12. Once that happens, they will then try to appeal to their constantly returning user base and try to get them to come back more frequently.

But as of right now, the economy is the best its been in a long time. People have more money to spend on luxuries and Disney World is thriving. Thus price increases across the board. Which I still say, arent that bad compared to other popular vacation spots. My crappy state fair has worse prices on food than anything Disney World offers and I can at least buy healthy options at Disney.....

PB Watermelon

~NM

I certainly don't take this Kevin Yee "declining by degrees" grousing point of view, but then, I haven't been back to Orlando since 2004, but I've visited Disneyland twice since then (2008, 2014) and had a wonderful experience. Nothing's ever going to top the 2008 experience. I checked in at City Hall. They had to open an hour late because of some issue with Grad Night. A father was screaming his damn fool head off, thinking ranting and raving was somehow going to give him some sort of compensation. His young daughter was trying to pull him out by the hand, crying, "Daddy! Let's go!" The man was screaming. I mean screaming. As in "about to have an aneurysm" screaming. He finally storms out. I'm next in line.

I told the CM how sorry I felt for her that she had to endure that. She thanked me, but she was clearly distressed over what had happened. I told her we were there for our 2nd Anniversary and that my wife had never been to a Disney Park, so I had purchased all these secret bonuses on the sly (private tours, reserved seating for Fantasmic, special seating for World of Color, dining reservations) trying to wow and amaze her, because I love the parks, and wanted her to have a great experience. CM, as usual, then does something amazing. Gives us instant multiple fastpass slips for any attraction we wanted, and a slew of buttons (anniversary, first time, etc.) Next thing you know, it's night, we're scoping out a viewing area for the fireworks, I ask a CM if it's okay to stand in a certain place or where she'd recommend a good place to viewing area. She tells me to wait, gets on the radio. Next thing you know, Disneyland Security shows up. First thing that goes through my mind is, "What did I do?" Security Guy tells us to follow him. Wife's looking at me, I'm looking at her, and we're thinking what in the world is going on? Guard walks us through the crowd to a roped-off sitting venue *right in front* of Sleeping Beauty's Castle. You couldn't possibly get a better seat for the fireworks. Guard tells us to enjoy the show, we sit down, guard leaves. Wife and I look at each other and just shout at each other in joy.

Here's another story. Went to Disney World with my mom, we're sitting on a curb waiting for the fireworks. Mom asks me to go find her a cup of cappucino. So I go by the Brown Derby, ask the host where I might be able to find some. Host tells me their location has shut down already. I thank them, go back to my mom. Guess what happens. About 10 minutes later, two CM's roll up to us with a decked out cart with an espresso machine, and the two fellas -- right there on the street -- personally make her a cup of cappucino. For free. I was just flabbergasted.

Don't give me this malarky about "inferior experiences" and "taking a turn for the worse". Disney CMs will bend over backwards to make your visit as terrific as possible. If you're openly hostile and abusive, they have no reason in the world to help you. I've been warm and thankful and enthusiastic to CMs, they reciprocate and don't just go the extra mile, they go the extra county.

Anyway, regarding the park prices, they really need to build a third park. Population keeps growing, and with more people, comes increased demand, and with increased demand with limited product, prices rise. Economics 101.

Disneyland Texas. Make it happen.

Last edited:

PB Watermelon

Less and less? I must be living in an alternate reality where California Adventure is course-corrected from Eisner's blunders, classic dark rides are improved with new tech, Cars Land exists and is jaw-dropping, World of Color makes the Bellagio Fountain look like a lawn sprinkler, and change and evolution are not inherently desecrations of my childhood nor my open mind. I go to the Disney Parks every 3-4 years, not every 3-4 months, or like the good man who does the Yensid Galaxy's Edge construction videos, apparently every week. I make the most of it, I consider it a privilege and a joy. When rides break down, or something's closed for refurbishment, or an older attraction has changed, I'm still at Disneyland.

My niece is in France as a Foreign Exchange Student...she just visited Disneyland Paris. She's never been to any of the Disney parks. Her first visit. My wife asked her what her favorite thing was. 16 year old kid says, "Just being there." She's 100% right. Just walking inside that environment itself is a form of joy and peace and entertainment that's unlike anything else. I know exactly what she's talking about.

Last edited:

Ninja Mom

This post is precisely is what I'm talking about.

Let's just look at one area of decline with a Disney Vacation.

Think about it... you check into your resort room and it hasn't been cleaned or maintained properly. That is a pretty basic expectation at any price point, let alone what Disney is charging.

Clean rooms at Disney are becoming a problem, one that the guest is expected to manage by herding the people responsible into doing their jobs properly. That eats into my vacation time which is completely unacceptable. Yes, you can talk to the housekeeper and the housekeeping manager, and the resort manager, continually escalating, but all that takes time and they still didn't fix the problem.

Why should I pack up and move all my stuff into a new room where chances are the same problem will exist because Disney management has changed they ways in which the Housekeepers can service (or really, NOT service) the rooms. I had 2 other friends checked in at Pop Century in different buildings during this trip and they all noticed the problems.

I'm happy for those people that don't see it happening or don't care. Good for you. That still doesn't change that fact that many people are experiencing these types of problems that negatively impact their vacation time. Disney never used to be like this and now we are seeing unacceptable compromises being made with our Disney vacation experience. For the people that say it doesn't bother them or they don't see it... just wait until you reach your breaking point.. and with the way things are going it's only a matter of time until you do.

~NM

PB Watermelon

Think about it... you check into your resort room and it hasn't been cleaned or maintained properly. That is a pretty basic expectation at any price point, let alone what Disney is charging.

It's never happened to me. Not once. Stayed on property at WDW five times by now over the years. Never had an issue with unclean rooms. Never happened. Not once. QUITE the opposite. Not saying such things don't happen, but pretty sure if you talk to CMs in a polite and helpful way, they're probably mortified and embarrassed and will move on the issue lickity split.

Clean rooms at Disney are becoming a problem, one that the guest is expected to manage by herding the people responsible into doing their jobs properly.

You didn't stay on property last time out, and budgeted your food, and ate off property...you sure that "clean rooms" was what drove you out of the All Star Resort? Versus what? Motel 6 on the I-5?

That eats into my vacation time which is completely unacceptable. Yes, you can talk to the housekeeper and the housekeeping manager, and the resort manager, continually escalating, but all that takes time and they still didn't fix the problem.

What was the problem?

Why should I pack up and move all my stuff into a new room where chances are the same problem will exist because Disney management has changed they ways in which the Housekeepers can service (or really, NOT service) the rooms. I had 2 other friends checked in at Pop Century in different buildings during this trip and they all noticed the problems.

Ah. Now the picture is getting clearer. You have some unexplained problem with a budget room, a problem you won't name, a problem you assume is resort-wide, as in "why should I move to a new room when the other room is probably just as bad"...you gripe about the price of popcorn and water. You're beginning to remind me of the opening of Annie Hall. "The food here is so bad!" "I know! And such small portions!"

I'm happy for those people that don't see it happening or don't care.

Don't see *what* happening? I still don't know what you're talking about.

That still doesn't change that fact that many people are experiencing these types of problems that negatively impact their vacation time.

What problems?

Disney never used to be like this and now we are seeing unacceptable compromises being made with our Disney vacation experience.

Last time you went, you stayed off property, yes?

For the people that say it doesn't bother them or they don't see it... just wait until you reach your breaking point.. and with the way things are going it's only a matter of time until you do.

Yeah, when my wife is given a front row seat to the fireworks and multiple free fastpasses as we celebrate our 2nd anniversary, and my mother is served coffe curbside completely out of the blue - for free! - just out of raw goodwill from cast members, that breaking point is gonna be about 500 years from now.

Last edited:

eliza61nyc

Clean rooms at Disney are becoming a problem, one that the guest is expected to manage by herding the people responsible into doing their jobs properly. That eats into my vacation time which is completely unacceptable. Yes, you can talk to the housekeeper and the housekeeping manager, and the resort manager, continually escalating, but all that takes time and they still didn't fix the problem.

I'm happy for those people that don't see it happening or don't care. Good for you. That still doesn't change that fact that many people are experiencing these types of problems that negatively impact their vacation time. Disney never used to be like this and now we are seeing unacceptable compromises being made with our Disney vacation experience. For the people that say it doesn't bother them or they don't see it... just wait until you reach your breaking point.. and with the way things are going it's only a matter of time until you do.

~NM

I've never gotten a dirty room once. I did get a room one time where I saw cigarette butts on the balcony but it ended up coming from the room upstairs who were breaking the rules by smoking. .
You are right though, you should definitely expect a clean room where ever you go.

sorry you experienced that.

I go annually and pretty much stayed at every deluxe resort, never been anything but completely satisfied. If I stay on points though I don't get daily mousekeeping.

and I'd pretty much sell one of my teens to stay at the Grand floridian. lol

erasure fan1

Don't give me this malarky about "inferior experiences" and "taking a turn for the worse". Disney CMs will bend over backwards to make your visit as terrific as possible.
Well this is swinging to the complete other end of the spectrum. All CMs haven't turned into trolls all of a sudden. But to say that the CM experience is the same as 15yrs ago isn't accurate either. There will always be crummy employees, but it sure seems that Disney now puts up with these people or they just doesn't hold them to the same standards that they once did. There are a lot of great CMs but the consistency isn't the same. You might be batting 100% and that's great. But from my 35 plus years going to Disney I have seen a significant rise of blah CM experiences.

eliza61nyc

Well this is swinging to the complete other end of the spectrum. All CMs haven't turned into trolls all of a sudden. But to say that the CM experience is the same as 15yrs ago isn't accurate either. There will always be crummy employees, but it sure seems that Disney now puts up with these people or they just doesn't hold them to the same standards that they once did. There are a lot of great CMs but the consistency isn't the same. You might be batting 100% and that's great. But from my 35 plus years going to Disney I have seen a significant rise of blah CM experiences.

What are "blah" cm experiences?

So I break down cm interaction in 4 types.
1) Resort CM's. these are probably the cm's I interact with the most. they greet you, get yo always helpfulu checked in and other wise get you going on your vacation.
2) park cm's. These are the ones I probably interact with the least. I mean what is the total amount of "experience" with them. maybe 30 secs at the entrance of a ride or loading me into a ride vehicle.
3) Waitstaff and quick service personnel. these are probably the 2nd most amount of interaction time if you do TS meals.
4) character handlers.

now honestly I couldn't tell you what a "good" park cm is or what is a "blah" cm. as I said, what you spend 40 secs with them. tops?? my resort cm's have been fabulous, always cheerful and helpful. joke with me at the front desk and assist me in the gift shop.
Same with waistaff. attentive and knowledgeable, at the France pavilion they laughingly endure my sad attempts at speaking French.

so what where they doing 35 years ago, that isn't being done now?? I only started going in 2000.

thomas998

At the end of the day, Disney wants new customers. New customers have no expectations and bring in more money per person than a repeat visitor (USUALLY). A lot of people only go to Disney World once or twice in their life times. Those people are not going to see the lowering standards. And thus Disney is not going to change. At least until we have another economic downturn like we did in 2008-12. Once that happens, they will then try to appeal to their constantly returning user base and try to get them to come back more frequently.

But as of right now, the economy is the best its been in a long time. People have more money to spend on luxuries and Disney World is thriving. Thus price increases across the board. Which I still say, arent that bad compared to other popular vacation spots. My crappy state fair has worse prices on food than anything Disney World offers and I can at least buy healthy options at Disney.....
I agree that Disney probably prefers a once in lifetime guest over a annual guest... but the reality is those once in a lifetime guest may also be going to other places the other years like Universal or any number of other parks... When Disney drops in quality to the point that these once in a life time guests start comparing Disney negatively to other parks they have experienced then the word of mouth will start spreading and that's going to be a problem for Disney. You can always do a short term rape and pillage of customers but eventually the word will get out and then it becomes very expensive to repair the damage.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom