Nw Years Eve in WDW

dizzney

This will be the first New Years Eve we will visit the world, we arrive about noon on the 31st,

Does anyone have suggestions for the best way to celebrate New Years in the world?

Hobnail Boot

New Year's Eve at WDW is always a blast. We've been at th Magic Kingdom for the past five or six NYE's. It's a great way to ring in the new year, but it's always very crowded. Magic Kindgom always closes due to capacity around 11-12; I've seen it reopen as early as 4pm and as late as 8pm. If you're going to the Magic Kindgom for NYE and don't mind spending 18 hours in the park, I suggest getting there after park opening or shortly after. We generally hit Space Mountain first and then get breakfast. Hats and horns are handed out at certain locations starting at 4. If you want a good spot to view the fireworks, I suggest getting on Main Street no later than 6. People will be camping out well before that but getting there between 4 and 6 will still get you a pretty good spot. Definitely bring something to do while waiting on the fireworks because those hours will go by very slowly (on the plus side, you'll get to see both SpectroMagic's).

If you're going to another park for NYE, I can't offer any helpful information. We've always done the MK and probably always will. I'm sure someone else here can offer some tips for the other parks on NYE.

Edit: doh, didn't see that you were arriving around noon.

Upvote 0

timeman

Since you won't be arriving till Noon on New Year's Eve I would stay away from the Magic Kingdom.

If you are not planning on going on any rides then I would say rest up a little and then head over to Epcot. Last year people were coming in that evening just for New Year's and Epcot can hold more people and will seem a little less crowded. They handed out hats and horns last year around 6pm. The fireworks show for the New Year is great as a few minutes before Midnight they fire off fireworks around each country mentioning how many hours ago that country brought in the New Year. At midnight it is America's time and then you have fireworks over all the countries. They have DJs playing music before midnight and after midnight until the park closes in different parts of the park.

Upvote 0

Tom

Beta Return
This will be the first New Years Eve we will visit the world, we arrive about noon on the 31st,

Does anyone have suggestions for the best way to celebrate New Years in the world?

If you're staying in a Disney Resort Hotel, you might be safe getting to the Magic Kingdom by 10am.....but if you're off property, be there at opening.

By no means should you get there at noon. You honestly won't be able to get in the park.

But like others said, if you're going to another park, you'll probably be ok. You can have a lot of fun on NYE, but be prepared for record high crowds (wall to wall people) and obscene lines. Other than that, it's a great time :lol:

Upvote 0

TheDisneyMagic

The best way to do it, stay out of the parks until after 21:00 o' Clock. We take it in turns between Epcot and The Magic Kingdom each year and find that after 21:00 alot of families that have been in the park all day long start to go home as the kids get tired. They have seen the first set of fireworks and parade so just leave.

Epcot usually has a number of DJ stands set up playing all of the latests music around Future World and World Showcase with lots of lights and big screens. Sometimes a couple of the old Tapestry of Nations/Dreams puppets are brought out as well.

Magic Kingdom has a DJ that plays alot of the classic but him Disney songs that everyone loves along with other music. If you would like to get out of the park easily after the midnight festivities, I reccomend watching from Tomrrowland in front of Space Mountain. You get a great view of both the low level fireworks, the normal fireworks and the perimeters and at the end can use the back stage route to exit the park.

Upvote 0

CAPTAIN HOOK

We did EPCOT last year. The park was closed by late morning and it was very busy all day - I assume that they re-opened the turnstiles later in the day but I don't know for sure.

We picked EPCOT as it is a larger park and there appeared to be more room for everyone around the lagoon for Illuminations. That said, the crowds were stood probably 6 - 10 deep around World Showcase where we were.

NYE is a blast - go and enjoy, but don't expect to be jumping on and off rides - my daughters waited over an hour for TT during the early evening, and that was with FastPass tickets !!

Upvote 0

durangojim

DHS is actually a great place to be on NYE as well. They put on a great fireworks show, have dj's around the park, and because it's less crowded you can usually still get on rides in the evening. We've made ADRs at the Brown Derby a number of times on NYE in the past and have had a wonderful time. EPCOT is great too, but its always really busy and feels that way.

Upvote 0

dizzney

Original Poster
We did EPCOT last year. The park was closed by late morning and it was very busy all day - I assume that they re-opened the turnstiles later in the day but I don't know for sure.

We picked EPCOT as it is a larger park and there appeared to be more room for everyone around the lagoon for Illuminations. That said, the crowds were stood probably 6 - 10 deep around World Showcase where we were.

NYE is a blast - go and enjoy, but don't expect to be jumping on and off rides - my daughters waited over an hour for TT during the early evening, and that was with FastPass tickets !!

Thanks, since we're staying at Boardwalk Villas, Epcot would probably be the best, and with staying on site, cant we get in even if the park closes to others?

Didnt know they did DJ's there, the kids will be thrilled, I would guess if we want to eat there, i need to be fast with the ADR 90 + 10 days out?

Upvote 0

Philo

Yep, as a resort guest you can get in after first few phases of closing but their is no guarentee that it wont go all the way and stop all entrance.

Remember that whilst it will be amazing, it will also be very busy and FP's might well have all gone by the times you get to the park. Just pick a couple of rides you wanna do and get in the queue. Get ADR's if you can and make sure you get a decent spot early on for the fireworks. Other than that just have a great day!

Upvote 0

dizzney

Original Poster
If I have an ADR at a restaurant and they have closed the entrances will they still allow us in?

We've actually never been to the world when they have closed a park based on crowding, managed to stay away from it all these years!

Upvote 0

cinderellafan6

I think that going to EPCOT would be better then going to Magic Kingdom. Magic Kingdom is way to crowded for NYE. You cant even walk, but if you dont mind that then its ok. I Prefer EPCOT because you can drink around the world and you cant drink at all at magic kingdom.

Upvote 0

timeman

Thanks, since we're staying at Boardwalk Villas, Epcot would probably be the best, and with staying on site, cant we get in even if the park closes to others?

Didnt know they did DJ's there, the kids will be thrilled, I would guess if we want to eat there, i need to be fast with the ADR 90 + 10 days out?

Make the reservations the first minute that you are able. Last year they I overheard cast members stating that unless you had a reservation at one of the restuarants to not waste your time as all of them were booked solid.

They had 4 different DJ areas set up last year around Epcot. The areas where they had DJS were the Fountain Stage, American Gardens Theatre Stage, Itlay Stage & China Stage. The DJs started playing around 7:51pm right after the first Illuminations. They played until right around 11:30pm and the final Illuminations started at 11:40pm. The DJs start up again right after midnight around 12:05 - 12:10 and play until the park closes. If you want I can send you an image of the Times Guide from New Years Eve for Epcot, just PM me if you want me to.

Upvote 0

jeffk410

eh noon on the 31st. I was there this year. And they closed the gates at like 10 a.m. and was on step 2. It closed to everyone by like 1. It was fun to do once.... but I would never do it again. But it is still fun, just realize its going to be PACKED.

Upvote 0

Spinky

Last Year we arrived in Disney at 3pm we made a 6.30pm Dinner Reservation for House of Blues and were really glad because the place was packed. Then we saw the later Version of La Nuba and we were back at the All Star Movies to see the Fireworks at midnight from the 3rd floor it was a great evening.

I will say when we checked in we were told all parks had closed to capacity I pretty much knew that when befor so I didnt plan anything in the parks.

Upvote 0

CAPTAIN HOOK

If I have an ADR at a restaurant and they have closed the entrances will they still allow us in?

That's debatable.

We arrived on Christmas Day last year. We were at The World for only 9 nights and so I'd planned which nights were for videoing attractions and which nights I'd take the DSLR camera. We really needed to be in EPCOT that first night - so I booked ADRs thinking that if the park was shut they'd have to let us in. Luckily by the time we arrived at the park (6:30) we had no problem getting in.

Disney may adopt the approach that if the park is shut then no one gets in - for any reason. Or, if you have a dining reservation, they may bend their rules slightly. I suppose its at the discretion of those staff on the turnstiles

Upvote 0

dizzney

Original Poster
Well I hope they let us in, I would think some will leave even if there are early closings since kids get tired, I'll bring my ADR number so they can check with the restaurant so hopefully we will get in, I would hate to make sure I get there for New Years Eve and then not get in the park!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom