Not so magical

kettcobb

Original Poster
Hello,

We are just at the end of our holiday in Orlando and fly home tomorrow, this is our 4th time and I just thought I'd post some thoughts.

In 2008 it was fantastic and a really magical experience, it felt like all CM were trying their hardest to please and provide a magical experience. The parks weren't too crowded.

Again, in 2010 I'd mirror the above comments.

In 2012 I came away thinking that Disney had properly started chasing the money and maximising their profits - I guess this should be expected but it shouldn't be so blatant and obvious.

On to this years trip...

It has basically left me thinking that I'm going to leave it for a good few years before returning. Some of it is not the fault of Disney - they can't do anything about rude South Americans (picked on them because they were so noticeably rude).

They could do lots to improve the experience and make it feel magical though :

*Assess the capacity limit and seriously consider reducing it - customer experience is as important as profit, right?

*Ban selfie sticks and iPads from the parks.

*Ban adults from putting kids on their shoulders during shows.

*Ensure they employ happy CM - I saw so many miserable ones that lacked any enthusiasm, maybe they need to provide better pay or benefits for them. They're a huge part of the experience and it genuinely makes a difference.

*Invest in the parks and attractions. I lost count how many times rides broke down and how many times we saw things that needed a lick of paint or a makeover.

*As a company, don't be so greedy and remember what made Disney great in the first place.

*Ban mobility scooters unless there's a genuine disability or ailment that requires one. I lost count of the amount I saw that were basically just fat. Yes I know they might have a medical condition but let's be honest, they probably haven't.

*Provide better and clearer organisation during key events such as parades and shows.

*With the current expansions going on make sure they're worthwhile and seriously consider some good changes at HS and Epcot - might take some heat away from MK.

*Ban people that dawdle or just randomly stop while walking which in turn causes issues.

That's it for now....

Obviously it becomes a bit less magical each time you visit anyway but these are my thoughts anyway!

Lord_Vader

Join me, together we can rule the galaxy.
Hello,

We are just at the end of our holiday in Orlando and fly home tomorrow, this is our 4th time and I just thought I'd post some thoughts.

In 2008 it was fantastic and a really magical experience, it felt like all CM were trying their hardest to please and provide a magical experience. The parks weren't too crowded.

Again, in 2010 I'd mirror the above comments.

In 2012 I came away thinking that Disney had properly started chasing the money and maximising their profits - I guess this should be expected but it shouldn't be so blatant and obvious.

On to this years trip...

It has basically left me thinking that I'm going to leave it for a good few years before returning. Some of it is not the fault of Disney - they can't do anything about rude South Americans (picked on them because they were so noticeably rude).

They could do lots to improve the experience and make it feel magical though :

*Assess the capacity limit and seriously consider reducing it - customer experience is as important as profit, right?

*Ban selfie sticks and iPads from the parks.

*Ban adults from putting kids on their shoulders during shows.

*Ensure they employ happy CM - I saw so many miserable ones that lacked any enthusiasm, maybe they need to provide better pay or benefits for them. They're a huge part of the experience and it genuinely makes a difference.

*Invest in the parks and attractions. I lost count how many times rides broke down and how many times we saw things that needed a lick of paint or a makeover.

*As a company, don't be so greedy and remember what made Disney great in the first place.

*Ban mobility scooters unless there's a genuine disability or ailment that requires one. I lost count of the amount I saw that were basically just fat. Yes I know they might have a medical condition but let's be honest, they probably haven't.

*Provide better and clearer organisation during key events such as parades and shows.

*With the current expansions going on make sure they're worthwhile and seriously consider some good changes at HS and Epcot - might take some heat away from MK.

*Ban people that dawdle or just randomly stop while walking which in turn causes issues.

That's it for now....

Obviously it becomes a bit less magical each time you visit anyway but these are my thoughts anyway!

The ECVs were an issue this year and are getting worse. While there are many people that need them, most are unfamiliar with their operation and can be dangerous.

We had quite a few great experiences with CMs this Christmas, many more than last year or even last summer.

For us, much of the magic is simply relaxing and enjoying our limited time in WDW and try to ignore the idiots and the occasional rude guests.

kettcobb

Original Poster
Yeah that's a very fair point about the problem being with society.

What happened to good manners and consideration of others Eh.

Magenta Panther

Well, look at the top entertainment icons we have right now. Lady Gaga, Miley Cyrus, the Kardashians...all very successful because they're gross, rude, oblivious and obnoxious. It's hard to think of even one major idol today to whom one would attach the description "classy". It's such a wonder to me to hear my dad talk about how people used to dress up to fly on airplanes and so on. Sometimes I think this whole bit about society being more open and honest and accepting really just translates to "having no standards". :p

Anyway, the OP's commentary simply reinforces my decision to go to Disneyland this year instead of WDW. Disneyland still has Walt's spirit in it. WDW just feels like a park that nobody's really in charge of and so things are going to pieces. Sad.

fireman17

I'm sure I am not going to be the only one who picks apart your post but, I can say that you did go to WDW during the most busiest times of the year hence the crowd levels. And yes, I understand crowd capacity and safety and they should try to limit capacity level and do so with phase closing. Children on shoulders, not going to stop that try to put yourself in a child's eyes all they are seeing are peoples rear ends so up they go.
Selfie sticks and iPads we live in a world of technology and everyone has one and yes, it is my pet peeve when I see people using them in the parks my wife has one but refuses to use it in the parks and uses her camera and still gets wonderful pictures.
Electric scooters. Well. not going there on this one as I have too many years in emergency services and if someone needs one for whatever reason so be it.
Now, to me you had a bad experience because the all the reasons you listed and you have a right to voice your opinion but again, remember you did in fact spent your time at WDW during the most crowded times of the year and so did thousands of others and they too probably had the same experience. To me it is what you make of it I've been to WDW during Spring break and still had a wonderful time crowds were manageable, CM's were great and we left knowing we'll be going back. We've also been to WDW twice during the holiday season but early November not the week of Christmas and New Year as we know what it is like.
Maybe after you return home look up a crowd calendar and see what times are less crowded and try to pick one or maybe you are unable to but whatever the case the WDW experience is what you make of it.

CP_alum08

I agree with you on almost everything, so I will just say one thing: hopefully you voiced these concerns with Disney management.

Ember

It's hard to think of even one major idol today to whom one would attach the description "classy".
Taylor swift? Not even the disney stars are good role models anymore. And I agree that it's a society thing and not a disney thing, but I feel disney could make a few rules to help out, like banning selfie sticks (weapon?) and enforcing no flash photography on rides!

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member

image.jpg

JasonDeyoung

I agree, I hate the scooters. If they are needed fine, but if you get up and jump on and off it and can push it onto the bus or let your friends or family sit in your lap and ride that really annoys me. The stupid go pro sticks are just obnoxious and the iPad's as well. The kids on shoulders is a tough one, example I was at mgm this past summer. Myself and a few friends patiently waited for the frozen fireworks for around 40 mins or so great location everyone ahead was sitting or short so we had great viewing for them, until the obnoxious family came stumbling into the crowd and I say that cause they all had 2 beers in each hand and naturally 2 mins before the fireworks they throw the kids up on their shoulders almost kicking us in the face and literally stand right in front of us. We gave a polite excuse me and was given an attitude back at us. All I could do was laugh at them and politely called them classless and moved on to another location but funny as we moved everyone around them were yelling at them and all they did was wave the finger salute, I mean really? Have some dignity and class it is still a family park even if you're a drunk idiot Lol ok vent over got off topic but yes I agree with most said :)

Last edited:

GrammieBee

I cannot walk the distances involved and would not be able to enjoy WDW if I could not use my mobility scooter. I am not confined to it and can get in and out of it to walk short distances and even do some stairs. However, you have absolutely no concept of how much pain I am in when I do.

Yes there are people who do not need one and are taking advantage of their intended use and there are those who are unfamiliar with how to use one, the same as some people should never drive cars. But, please stop complaining about ALL scooter users. You would never want to trade places with the majority of them. Just be glad you can stand and walk around the parks.

Lord_Vader

Join me, together we can rule the galaxy.
I cannot walk the distances involved and would not be able to enjoy WDW if I could not use my mobility scooter. I am not confined to it and can get in and out of it to walk short distances and even do some stairs. However, you have absolutely no concept of how much pain I am in when I do.

Yes there are people who do not need one and are taking advantage of their intended use and there are those who are unfamiliar with how to use one, the same as some people should never drive cars. But, please stop complaining about ALL scooter users. You would never want to trade places with the majority of them. Just be glad you can stand and walk around the parks.

Not speaking for everyone here but my wife is wheelchair bound much of the time and we refuse to use ECVs for the same reasons many here complain about them. Most users don't know what they are doing on them, driving them is a learned skill for most and the vast majority I see have trouble with basic navigation control and is much worse when crowd levels go up.

And no I never want to trade places, I see what my wife deals with in a chair.

Prince-1

Here are a few more items to add to your well thought out and properly bulleted list:

*Ban people from passing gas...environmental issue

*Ban kids from putting adults on their shoulders (not a huge issue but I can't stand it when those cute kids try and do it)

*Open up areas designed for people who want to stop for no reason so us non-stoppers can get by and not have to be rudely stopped. And don't get me started on the dawdlers!!

*Sell more Churros

*Turn WDW into a non-profit organization so they don't have to worry about making money and can spend everything on new rides and more churros. This is a no-brainer!!

*I agree with banning iPads in the parks but please allow us to continue to bring cell phones, iPods, laptop computers, desktop computers, and my abacus. I use it to figure out the true wait at Be Our Guest.

*Ban people that bring strollers in the parks. Really who actually believes your kids really need it them at 6 months or older. Seriously!?! They just take up room and make us stop (Back to that again!) when we want to GO! Also your kids are fat...stop buying them churros.

I think that is it but I'm sure there are more issues that need to and must be addressed!!

DanStat

I think society has reached a tipping point where we value the individual rather than the whole. Additionally, with inflation and demand for Disney so high, people see it as a one-time experience and have the desire to maximize their value.

musketeer

Regarding this, it reminds me of my one of my favorite "inspirational posters". It says, "No single raindrop thinks it's responsible for the flood"....or something like that. In other words, there's tens of thousands of others around you thinking the same thing.

But I can't help think the same thing when I'm there as well, so I'm just as guilty of this myself.

mousehockey37

I've been saying it for years...they have to get the crowds under control by:

Increasing prices.
Expand, significantly.

Or both.

Otherwise, the number of people they allow in the parks really does ruin the experience for a significant portion of the year.

So you're saying make it so that only the rich can go to Disney World?

How about during the busiest times of the year they blackout annual passes and local resident discounts. Airlines blackout their customers during heavy travel times, Disney could do the same. You wanna go, we're sorry, but your annual passes aren't valid these days, you'll have to buy a regular park pass like everyone else.

Expanding makes sense, 5th gate anyone?

As long as the resorts are full, they'll let people in as long as the queues for the rides are showing huge wait times. Why? Simple, the more people they know are standing in a queue for 4+ hours, the more people they know they can have walking around doing nothing/eating/shopping/"taking in the atmosphere". That's possibly an overlooked side of the MDE+. They know where people are to an extent and with every magic band they can see magically that they can have more people in the parks than ever before.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom