Not quite a pin !

raymusiccity

Original Poster
We were given these by a cast member awhile ago. She said they were made from melted down pieces of defunct parades, they were not for sale, and were only meant to be given out to cheer guests up! Does anyone know if that's in any way true, or if they still hand these out?

Attachments

• 20210815_161325.jpg
    20210815_161325.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 167
  • 20210815_161307.jpg
    20210815_161307.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 142

JIMINYCR

I have some like these that look the same that I got at I believe the Emporium that were in a basket that held an assortment of them. The backing has the same stamping. Mine are of the sorcerers hat that says on the front …courage, castle.. dream, Mickey hands…love, Mickey hat… wisdom, Mickey head…wish, and crown… believe.

JIMINYCR

What sounds like a really nice gesture that it appears people are profiting on ☹️
The OP was being told a story by the CM. As I had posted, I had gotten mine at I believe at the Emporium. I can’t remember what I had paid for them but you could grab whichever ones you wanted to buy. As all other things for sale at the parks anyone can buy anything and then resell for a tidy profit.

ppete1975

The OP was being told a story by the CM. As I had posted, I had gotten mine at I believe at the Emporium. I can’t remember what I had paid for them but you could grab whichever ones you wanted to buy. As all other things for sale at the parks anyone can buy anything and then resell for a tidy profit.
Oh I wasnt speaking of you, my point was i am sure there are people that ask for them or act sad or who knows what, to get the pins just to put them for sale. I am fine if they are going in a personal collection or something, but if someone grabs a bunch just for resale i think it takes away from some of the magic disney tries to do (such at the paint brush, and waking up tinkerbell as things that have went away). IF the truth is really they have them just to cheer people up and to hand out when they feel someone needs a smile, i think its sad that people try to profit off of it. Now if you want to collect, or if you were given one and you put it on ebay i have no issue to that. Just if someone purposefully tried to get a ton of them just for the intent of resale.

JIMINYCR

Oh I wasnt speaking of you, my point was i am sure there are people that ask for them or act sad or who knows what, to get the pins just to put them for sale. I am fine if they are going in a personal collection or something, but if someone grabs a bunch just for resale i think it takes away from some of the magic disney tries to do (such at the paint brush, and waking up tinkerbell as things that have went away). IF the truth is really they have them just to cheer people up and to hand out when they feel someone needs a smile, i think its sad that people try to profit off of it. Now if you want to collect, or if you were given one and you put it on ebay i have no issue to that. Just if someone purposefully tried to get a ton of them just for the intent of resale.
I wasnt reactive to your comment. I was referring that the CM shouldnt have told a story about the specialness of the token making them think it was something it wasnt. They can certainly give out something to bring magic to guests they think deserve it but to imply these were something no one could buy and they were out of the ordinary was misleading.

ppete1975

I wasnt reactive to your comment. I was referring that the CM shouldnt have told a story about the specialness of the token making them think it was something it wasnt. They can certainly give out something to bring magic to guests they think deserve it but to imply these were something no one could buy and they were out of the ordinary was misleading.
I totally agree with you. Seems we had some lines crossed :).

I do kind of find it an odd situation, like you said anyone could buy them so the story isnt even true
While on one hand you have to hand it to a cast member to do something really nice and try and make a bad situation good..

but on the other hand im not sure i appreciate making up a story especially if they visitor could later go into a store and see the same tokens for sale (after saying they werent for sale).

So is the "taken from past parades" false as well?

Michaelson

Well, sometimes you have to take the sizzle instead of the steak, as they say.

A couple years ago we were told by a retired Disney engineer that if we wore Indiana Jones related 'gear' to the Hanger Bar, any working CM/waiter/waitress would happily hand us a set of Hanger Bar wings/pin for our efforts.

When we did it and nothing was offered, we asked about the pin. We were told they had discontinued that practice, and all the pins were ordered to be turned over to the pin sales department and sold as surplus. We sadly left the bar.

The next year we went, and our grandson (5 at the time) wore an Indiana Jones tee shirt. The front attendant called him over and handed him the coveted Hanger Bar pin! I was happy he got one, but when I casually mentioned what we were told the year before after going through all the effort ourselves, the news was met with a puzzled look by the CM. They said they had no idea why were told that. They had never stopped that practice, and we SHOULD have been handed a pin, but since we weren't dressed THAT time, they could only hand the one out to the grandson.

It all goes to what is going on at the moment, I guess, and the story that is spun at any time.

The retired engineer sent me a Hanger Bar pin for my collection as an apology for the way we were treated.

I never complained, and we thanked everyone for letting us know. We still had a great time, and were treated professionally at all times. That change of story just puzzled us more than anything.

Regards! Michaelson

raymusiccity

Original Poster
Thanks for all of the responses to my mystery tokens. I guess I can chalk it up to an extra special cast member adding a little spin to his story. I haven't noticed them for sale, but, they are stamped on the back and have some sort of reference numbers. 'The plot thickens' !
:)

wolfeman

Well, sometimes you have to take the sizzle instead of the steak, as they say.

A couple years ago we were told by a retired Disney engineer that if we wore Indiana Jones related 'gear' to the Hanger Bar, any working CM/waiter/waitress would happily hand us a set of Hanger Bar wings/pin for our efforts.

When we did it and nothing was offered, we asked about the pin. We were told they had discontinued that practice, and all the pins were ordered to be turned over to the pin sales department and sold as surplus. We sadly left the bar.

The next year we went, and our grandson (5 at the time) wore an Indiana Jones tee shirt. The front attendant called him over and handed him the coveted Hanger Bar pin! I was happy he got one, but when I casually mentioned what we were told the year before after going through all the effort ourselves, the news was met with a puzzled look by the CM. They said they had no idea why were told that. They had never stopped that practice, and we SHOULD have been handed a pin, but since we weren't dressed THAT time, they could only hand the one out to the grandson.

It all goes to what is going on at the moment, I guess, and the story that is spun at any time.

The retired engineer sent me a Hanger Bar pin for my collection as an apology for the way we were treated.

I never complained, and we thanked everyone for letting us know. We still had a great time, and were treated professionally at all times. That change of story just puzzled us more than anything.

Regards! Michaelson
Just asking, does the Hanger Bar still give the pins away?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom