Not gone to the parks in 5 years? - What have I missed?

BiffyClyro

Original Poster
Hey guys! So next year will mark 5 years since i've not been to Disney. I go to Florida pretty much every year and have been to Universal, but due to money etc. we have had to give Disney a miss. Next year I finally get to go again and take my 4 year old sister for the first time.

What new attractions, upcoming projects, what has gone missing/ shut forever? I've tried to read up but I feel like i've missed so much stuff it's impossible to find everything. I know I can trust you guys to update me and I would really appreciate it!

SW_matt

Im in a similar position to you in that my upcoming trip in october comes 5 years after my last visit. I have conceded that there is too much to read up on so I figured I will just find out for myself when I arrive!

Figgy1

Premium Member
Hey guys! So next year will mark 5 years since i've not been to Disney. I go to Florida pretty much every year and have been to Universal, but due to money etc. we have had to give Disney a miss. Next year I finally get to go again and take my 4 year old sister for the first time.

What new attractions, upcoming projects, what has gone missing/ shut forever? I've tried to read up but I feel like i've missed so much stuff it's impossible to find everything. I know I can trust you guys to update me and I would really appreciate it!

Im in a similar position to you in that my upcoming trip in october comes 5 years after my last visit. I have conceded that there is too much to read up on so I figured I will just find out for myself when I arrive!
Get a copy of the Unofficial Guide to Disney it will make it so much easier on you!

orlando678-

It had changed a lot believe me!
We have lost Snow White's Scary Adventures, Maelstrom, Backlot Tour, Magic of Disney Animation, Legend of Captain Jack Sparrow, the old Test Track, Camp Minnie Mickey, some things at Downtown Disney and a other few small things.

With the loss however we got Seven Dwarfs Mine Train, Enchanted Tales with Belle, The Barnstormer, Dueling Dumbo spinners, Journey of the Little Mermaid, Princess Fairytale Hall, Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom interactive game, A Pirates adventure interactive game, Test Track 2.0 , relocated festival of the lion king and a lot of new restaurants and shops for both the parks, hotels and downtown disney or the soon to become Disney Springs.

Many plans for the future too. Frozen Ever After, Soarin' over the World, Star Wars Land, Toy Story Land, Pandora, Rivers of Light nighttime spectacular, Star Tours segments added for the Star Tours The Adventures Continue, Skipper Canteen, Star Wars Launch Bay and there is also going to be the Season of the Force celebration at Hollywood Studios.

Figgy1

Premium Member
We have lost Snow White's Scary Adventures, Maelstrom, Backlot Tour, Magic of Disney Animation, Legend of Captain Jack Sparrow, the old Test Track, Camp Minnie Mickey, some things at Downtown Disney and a other few small things.

With the loss however we got Seven Dwarfs Mine Train, Enchanted Tales with Belle, The Barnstormer, Dueling Dumbo spinners, Journey of the Little Mermaid, Princess Fairytale Hall, Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom interactive game, A Pirates adventure interactive game, Test Track 2.0 , relocated festival of the lion king and a lot of new restaurants and shops for both the parks, hotels and downtown disney or the soon to become Disney Springs.

Many plans for the future too. Frozen Ever After, Soarin' over the World, Star Wars Land, Toy Story Land, Pandora, Rivers of Light nighttime spectacular, Star Tours segments added for the Star Tours The Adventures Continue, Skipper Canteen, Star Wars Launch Bay and there is also going to be the Season of the Force celebration at Hollywood Studios.
Don't forget FP+

BiffyClyro

Original Poster

Don't forget FP+

Already so helpful! Thank you!

I've heard about the Fastpass changes but I don't think I understand it... It seems a bit ridiculous from what I can understand. So can only resort member stet fast passes now on those wristbands? And you have to plan ahead to get a fast pass/time slot whatever?

orlando678-

I've heard about the Fastpass changes but I don't think I understand it... It seems a bit ridiculous from what I can understand. So can only resort member stet fast passes now on those wristbands? And you have to plan ahead to get a fast pass/time slot whatever?
I had the same confusion at first. But you can buy a wristband and get the fastpasses on there or you can download the my magic + app and put your fastpasses on your disney park tickets. You can make reservations for the fastpasses ahead of your visit, which is a big advantage, because your ahead of the rest. You can also find fastpass + stations at several locations in the parks and here you can scan your tickets or wristbands to get fastpasses or add a new one.

Jon81uk

We are going September 2016 and our last trip was 2010 so I was trying to think of all the things that will be new to me next trip (in all Orlando parks).

Seven Dwarves train
Under the Sea ride (although I did ride it in Cali in 2012)
Enchanted Tales
Be Our Guest
Skippers Canteen
New Test Track
Soarin' over the World
New Frozen Ride
Rivers of Light
Harambe Marketplace
Night safari
Starbucks
Disney Springs
Star Wars launch bay
Maybe Season of the Force fireworks (I am going late Sept so may be over by then)

Diagon Alley
Escape from Gringotts
Hogwarts Express
Transformers (although I did ride it in Cali in 2012)
Minion Mayhem
Universal Cinematic Spectacular
Re-done Hulk coaster
Kong

Mako (Seaworld new coaster)
Antartica ride

Cheetah Chase (Busch)
Cobra's Curse

Main thing I will miss is the drawing class at DHS and I'm not sure how good new Test Track will be.

Of course MagicBands and FP+ will be new to me as well.

Figgy1

Premium Member
I had the same confusion at first. But you can buy a wristband and get the fastpasses on there or you can download the my magic + app and put your fastpasses on your disney park tickets. You can make reservations for the fastpasses ahead of your visit, which is a big advantage, because your ahead of the rest. You can also find fastpass + stations at several locations in the parks and here you can scan your tickets or wristbands to get fastpasses or add a new one.
If you're staying on property they send you the magic bands. Or if you're off site just link your tickets to your account. Do not pay for a band unless you really want one!

CastleBound

I haven't gone since 2009, so I know a lot has changed. I try to keep up with as much as I can through podcasts, forums, and friends down there. I'm definitely excited to get back down there in December and see what I've been missing. It's certainly going to be a lot to take in. Definitely don't want to go on another 6 year hiatus again.

HolleBolleGijs

If you're staying on-property, you can book FP+ 60 days in advance. If you're staying off-property, then it's 30 days. Once the 60 or 30 day mark hits, you can make FP+ selections for the entire length of stay.

Keep in mind that the MagicBands serve exactly the same function as the plastic ticket you would get otherwise as an on-property guest. Only guests of Disney hotels will get complimentary MagicBands, but if you really want one, you can also purchase them separately. Having a physical band itself doesn't mean anything.

Yes, it's a little more planning, but you can also modify FP+ selections throughout the course of the day, if you decide to change plans last minute. Most attractions will be available, except for the really popular ones (just like the old FP system).

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Be opening date and park..

Magic Kingdom

The Enchanted Tiki Room - 2011 (Replaced "Under New Management" version)
Brave "Play and Greet" - 2012
Under the Sea: Journey of the Little Mermaid/Ariel's Grotto - 2012
Storybook Circus: New Dumbo, Re-themed Barnstormer, Pete's Silly slideshow - 2012
Princess Fairytale Hall (Replaced Snow White's Scary Adventures) - 2013
Seven Dwarfs Mine Train - 2014
Peter Pan's Flight (New queue) - 2014

Epcot
Captain EO - 2010
Agent P World Showcase Adventure (Replaced Kim Possible World Showcase Adventure) - 2012
Test Track (Re-themed) - 2012
Soarin' Around the World - 2016
Frozen Ever After (Replaced Maelstrom) - 2016

Hollywood Studios
Star Tours: The Adventures Continue (Replaced Star Tours) - 2011
Disney Junior: Live on Stage! - 2011
The Great Movie Ride (TCM Updates) - 2014
For the First Time in Forever: A Frozen Sing-a-long Celebration (Replaced American Idol Experience) - 2015
The Legend of Captain Jack Sparrow (Replaced Journey into Narnia: Prince Caspian) - Closed
The Magic of Disney Animation - Closed
Walt Disney: One Man's Dream - Closing Soon
Studio Backlot Tour - Closed

Animal Kingdom

"Little Red" no longer part of Kilimanjaro Safaris - 2012
Festival of the Lion King (Relocated) - 2014
Rivers of Light - 2016
Avatarland (Replacing Camp Minnie-Mickey, closed) - 2017
Sunset Kilimanjaro Safaris (Announced) - ????

wdwfan4ver

There is going to one more closing for DHS than mentioned by the time you go at least.Voyage of the little Mermaid is very likely to close before next year.

Star Wars Bay Launch will be open by the time you go next year and it is where the The Magic of Disney Animation was.

Frozen Ever After is supposed to be open in sometime in May next year.

I believe Sunset Kilimanjaro Safaris is supposed to open sometime next year.

The Magic Kingdom will be getting new eating place opening later this year called Skipper Canteen.

Last edited:

Miss Heinous

How did we gain the Barnstormer? It was only re-themed?

Mouse_Trap

If you're talking about actual rides here not things like Starbucks or a new restroom, then really not very much at all.

Don't expect to be thrilled in terms of new rides, the highlight being the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train which is a nicely themed kiddie coaster.

PhotoDave219

Not much.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom