Not a new park thread, just some 'news' on RCID land use

Kingdom WDW

Original Poster
Yeah, so the disclaimer's in the title.

I was on the Reedy Creek site (www.rcid.org) and I was looking at the massive 2008 comprehensive plan. It's a very interesting read, if you have time to read 490 pages. It's basically a huge report talking about land use. (http://www.rcid.org/uploads/rcid-comp-plan_complete.pdf)

Here are some interesting notes for those who haven't found their way over yet:

- Roughly 34.9% of the RCID (Reedy Creek Improvement District) has been developed. 65.1% is open space. 30.6% is conserved, while 24.4% is "Undeveloped open space".
- There are no plans, existing or proposed, for an airport on WDW property. Ditto for a seaport. Don't expect any rail lines going through RCID either. And for you bikers out there, no bike paths are planned.
- For those of you getting new ideas for locations for a new park (Refer to my obsolete "Land being cleared for new park" thread), the area north of EPCOT Center and west of it (east of where the treatment plants are) is not suitable for development. So don't expect any development (new park, shopping center, etc.) where that is. Note: This is not the location of Western Way.
- Strangely, that empty parcel of land between the TTC and the Contemporary is suitable for development. (DVC, anyone?) And that area north of the Contemporary and south of the scrapyard? Marginally suitable. So two suitable hotel locations near the MK? Interesting.
- Even stranger, the area to the north and west of the Grand Floridian is suitable for development. To give you an idea of size, this has a three and a half mile perimeter. Across, it's around .9 miles wide, twice as wide as the Magic Kingdom. If they were to build a 100-200 acre park here, they could probably do it. Logistically, in the northwest corner of the property. EDIT: I forgot to mention that today I was viewing blueprints online for the Magic Kingdom area, and this area was also titled "Future Lagoon Expansion". Pretty interesting, as the best area for development could turn into 13 feet of water.
- Other interesting suitable areas for development: north of the Wide World of Sports complex, the STOLport area, a small farm area north of the Animal Kingdom, along with a bigger farm area also north of the Animal Kingdom, and the area south of the Pop Century.
- Interested in the biology of Reedy Creek? According to the comprehensive plan, future activities in the creek will be limited to canoing and foot paths. For the optimist/nature-lover, this could mean that nature trails will open up by Reedy Creek.
- All future hotels built on the lake will have boating slips, beaches, and trails where appropriate.
- According to Policy 5.1 (page 285) "New development adjacent to Bay Lake, Seven Seas Lagoon, Little Lake Bryan, Reedy Lake, Lake Mable, South Lake, Village Lake, Lake Buena Vista, Lake Lake (just kidding), and Reedy Creek shall make provisions for visitor access to shoreline areas." This doesn't spell future development, but hey, we'll be getting our lakes.

This is only a portion of what is mentioned in the nearly 500 page document. Tomorrow, I'll explore it better, and maybe you guys can help contribute, also.

PintoColvig

That "future lagoon expansion" was a part of the early plans for the MK area. It was to feature a resort of some sort, I believe. I think I read about it on Jim Hill's (yeah I said it) website.

Tom Morrow

I don't feel like reading alllll those pages... what is the reason that the land north and northwest of Epcot is unusable for development?

WDWFanatic

yeah the venitian was supposed to go near the ttc as a monorail hotel and there was supposed to be an an arabian hotel past the contemporary with monorail access as well. To bad they never happened.

the asian hotel was to be built on the GF site

tntwill0605

does anyone know what they are going to do with the old river country i was at fort wilderness 2 weeks ago took a ride on the boat that place is lookin really over grow just wondering

EPCOT Explorer

Interesting news...Hope we see some news and developments about it in the future.

And,please, don't antagonize the immature poster,just ignore him.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom