Norway pavilion 25 years

Animaniac93-98

Interesting that they hyped the "thrill ride" aspect of the ride. I guess when only it and Body Wars existed it really was the closest thing to a "thrill ride" in the park.

aladdin2007

It use to have a great film offering upstairs in the afternoons, a viking ship playground, a live folk group, a guided walking tour, a tourism information center, a nice restuarant for lunch and dinner before becoming a cattle drive/stroller fiasco, and of course maelstrom use to have effects that worked, and the pavilion even use to have benches outside; all gone. This was the original Norway pavilion. It would be better again had they struck a new sponsoring deal, but Disney could at least refurb the ride out of its "mildewmaelstrom" state. Oh and fix the waterfall already!!! thats been gone too.

spiritofNorway

Original Poster
What is "The Norway Club" and where is it located in the pavilion?

Norway Club is the conference center located above the Maelstrom building. Entrance through a hidden elevator (opposite of the FP distrubution behind the doors to the left) or staircase on the right right before you enter The Puffin´s Roost. (its locked on top so you cant really enter)

willtravel

Norwegian chamber of commerce and the Norwegian embassy fought hard for a new plan as recent as about a year or two ago, and the government was interested but they did not want to pay the astronomical amounts that Disney required, they even offered Disney a free new film as part of a new agreement, and Disney said no. TDO corporate greed at play. And because of that the two are no longer on speaking terms sadly.
If that is true, what the hell is wrong with Disney. I guess nothing is better than something?:mad: Unless if the cut a deal with Norway then it would have to be done for others?

luv

Maelstrom is still one of my favorites, though it is old, not working as well as it used to and has gross stuff growing inside of it...but the same can be said for many people. :)

Happy Birthday, Norway!!

ChrisFL

Premium Member
I really like Maelstrom. No, it isn't really a thrill ride, but for the small area and budget they had to deal with, I think they came up with a charming little attraction. I also like the unique backwards aspect.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I really like Maelstrom. No, it isn't really a thrill ride, but for the small area and budget they had to deal with, I think they came up with a charming little attraction. I also like the unique backwards aspect.

In the 90s, it was a must do attraction for me. Give me Horizons, SSE (with Walter Cronkite), Imagination (the first version) and Maelstrom, along with lunch at Odyssey, and my day was considered complete!

Fox&Hound

See I'm the opposite. I don't hate on anyone who loves the ride and the nostalgia but it would not offend me at all if it got a MAJOR refurb or they used the space for something different altogether. I find EPCOT lacking in rides (i know there are great places to eat and cultures to view) but sometimes, you just want to ride something fun and the fact that Maelstrom in amongst the top contenders seems a little sad. It was great in the 90's but I don't think it has held up well over time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom