Nonsensical Plot Twists in Attractions

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Okay, how’s this—

Tons of young fans set out to ride an attraction thinking it’s based on a character from Princess and the Frog but instead get a grab-bag of aspirational goals cooked up by a freshman creative writing class at Sarah Lawrence College.
It's still not a plot twist within the attraction itself.

Not saying I disagree with the point of view, though.

Earlie the Pearlie

Original Poster
If we’re talking nonsense plots, period, I gotta point out the new VillainCon.
There is no point in time where the Vicious 6, Scarlet Overkill, El Macho, and Vector are all free and operating in the Despicable Me-verse. While Vector is on earth and operating, the V6 are all presumably permanently rats, El Macho is in hiding, and Scarlet is an old lady.
I didn’t expect continuity from a Minion ride but still.
Love it anyways.

Robbiem

In Florida’s Haunted Mansion you enter through the basement - the main entrance is clearly visible on the hill but inside you are in the main entrance hall, not the cellar

Similarly on Pirates you board your boat in the fortress but end up back at the fortress after going through the caves and down the ramp then back in the fortress again after travelling through the town, or maybe there are three separate forts I guess?

Eric Graham

Imagination - yes, that bit where the tour gets diverted into Figment's upside down house, just before entering the Touch and Taste labs. Erm, the reason it gets diverted before entering the Touch and Taste labs is that even imagineers couldn't come up with a way of demonstrating those senses to the riders.
How about how Nigel Channing (Eric Idle) for some reason doesn't even remember doing Figment.

rio

Imagination - yes, that bit where the tour gets diverted into Figment's upside down house, just before entering the Touch and Taste labs. Erm, the reason it gets diverted before entering the Touch and Taste labs is that even imagineers couldn't come up with a way of demonstrating those senses to the riders.
I’m sure they could have but it may not have been family friendly

The Empress Lilly

Anyway, I'm still trying to understand how an igaunadon would be "the key to understanding these magnificent creatures". Just say you want an igaunadon, Seeker. We understand.
What's more, why - when you have millions of years to choose from - would you pick two minutes before a catastrophic meteor impact to get that Iguanodon?

To say nothing of Iguanodons having been extinct for tens of millions of years already.

ppete1975

Your role at the Twilight Zone Tower of Terror:

"Hmm, maybe we could stay at this decrepit building with a giant hole in it."
"It says keep out at the entrance. Probably nothing."
You ignore all the very obvious signs that the place has been abandoned for decades.
The hotel staff are weirdly cryptic and ominous.
A supernatural message on a TV screen informs you that if you board the elevator you will suffer the same fate as the original guests did years ago.
You still choose to board the elevator.

To be fair, tourists can be pretty obvious!
You have to give credit to the architect and construction workers that built it. Most buildings in it’s condition and left abandoned for that long the floors would barely be there and you’d probably fall through it. Ive snick into some abandoned buildings and none of them were this nice.

The Empress Lilly

Not so much a twist but terrible to me is:

Soarin' there is no reason given to how we can fly, and suddenly jump cut to locations around the world.
I relate to the sudden jump cuts, which don't feel quite right. But still, isn't this better than 'you're flying on an enchanted hanglider lend to you by wizard Biff the somewhat handsome-ish aviator who does have a cool voice though'?

When you think about it, Soarin' needs neither explanation nor reason nor plot. It just is. The point, the fun, the experience, is gliding over California, or over the world. Like sequences out of a dream. Why drown it in a muddy pool of convulated backstory and explanations. Better to let the experience breathe and your imagination roam free.

celluloid

I relate to the sudden jump cuts, which don't feel quite right. But still, isn't this better than 'you're flying on an enchanted hanglider lend to you by wizard Biff the somewhat handsome-ish aviator who does have a cool voice though'?

When you think about it, Soarin' needs neither explanation nor reason nor plot. It just is. The point, the fun, the experience, is gliding over California, or over the world. Like sequences out of a dream. Why drown it in a muddy pool of convulated backstory and explanations. Better to let the experience breathe and your imagination roam free.

Agreed. It gets the inspiration side of things right. Like I said, it is nitpicky.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom