No skyliner at AoA

the_rich

Oh okay. I think the OP was concerned that bus service at the Skyliner resorts may not be as reliable simply because the Skyliner is intended as the main form of transportation.
I went on the skyliner for the first time this trip tho. Never again, my fear of heights was too much.

Geek4WDW

We’ve stayed at both POP & AoA many times before the skyliner was built and since it opened…I’m actually NOT a big fan in the skyliner, I actually think the buses are faster and wish guests staying at those resorts would have the choice of both. I know I’m in the minority on this but I find the skyliner and the monorail are more like attractions and less like modes of transportation.

That being said, I would make every effort to try to pressure them to give you some sort of discount since that is the main reason you’re staying at those resorts…good luck!! Keep us informed on how you make out!
Options of bus or Skyliner would be a nice option, but I also understand the logistic behind not having that option.

Chi84

Premium Member
I went on the skyliner for the first time this trip tho. Never again, my fear of heights was too much.
I’m not thrilled about heights either but the Skyliner didn’t bother me at all. It’s pretty enclosed, which helps.

My worry has always been having the thing stop for a long time. So far we’ve been lucky, and the convenience factor was worth it for us.

jenn7lp

Original Poster
have you thought about switching resorts, or do you have your heart set on AOA? only asking because if you’re concerned about the bus transportation, i’ve seen lines for the AOA busses can be long sometimes, especially going back to the resort after a day in the park. we’ve stayed at POFQ the last few years. smaller resort & the bus transportation has been pretty good. either way, i hope you enjoy your trip & hope the loss of the skyliner isn’t a total bummer for you & your family.
Yeah I'm gonna look into other options when I when I'm in the mood. I asked my daughter if she would rather be there for her birthday (the week we booked and when the skyliner is closed) or be there when the skyliner is open. And she said she'd rather be there for the skyliner, lol. We'll see. But yeah the AOA busses were baaad last time we stayed there. It was a busy week I guess. Even one morning the line for the skyliner was across the bridge and it down into the pop century resort, it's still only took us 15 minutes to get on the skyliner, which was shorter than almost all of our bus waits.

jenn7lp

Original Poster
Just an FYI. If there is any sign of a thunderstorm the sky liner does not run. After the all clear they have to run a whole loop which takes approx 1 hour. it rains a lot in Florida and we have storms all the time. We had to return to our hotel by bus on such an occasion and the wait was long. Even if it is working you should never assume there will not be a stoppage for a storm. This also happens to the boats if there is a storm.
Yeah years ago when I was in school and we'd have to go in summer I remember it raining all the time. But for years now we have only gone in October and first week of December, and I can't remember the last time it rained. We have lucked out. This will be our first January trip, so we'll see about the weather, haha

Smiley/OCD

Yeah years ago when I was in school and we'd have to go in summer I remember it raining all the time. But for years now we have only gone in October and first week of December, and I can't remember the last time it rained. We have lucked out. This will be our first January trip, so we'll see about the weather, haha
Well, at least you really don’t have to worry about T-storms…

nickys

Premium Member
I know there’s a shortage of drivers, and I understand that, but I’d still like the option for the bus.
That’s not the reason they don’t run buses.

The Skyliner replaced the buses. Initially they ran the buses on a very restricted timetable. The shut down provided the perfect moment to axe the buses completely, which was always in the business plan according to our trusted insiders.

Thepuma

I'm currently staying at AoA resort. The Skyliner and Resort buses have been a shambles. We go out to the parks in the morning, come back for a rest at the resort, then back in the evening. During the last week we've only managed to get on the skyliner to the parks once...each and every late afternoon there's a storm predicted so they shut the Skyliner....so you then have to use the buses, which have been so unreliable. We waited 50 minutes one day and gave up and got an Uber. We specifically chose AoA because it is on the Skyliner route, but have hardly been able to use it due to the storms every night.

Thepuma

Biggest bugbear at the moment is that there is absolutely nowhere (on the app or by asking staff) to find out if the Skyliner is on or not.

At AOA/POP it's Skyliner ONLY to HS/EP....Or BUS only if the Skyliner is down.

It's been a nightmare when we've been in Epcot...its raining so we assume the Skyliner is down so we walk all the way from China to the bus park at the front of Epcot in the rain (its a long way wet through!) Only to wait 30 minutes and then enquire to be told the Skyliner is on...so we have to re-enter the park and walk all the way to the Skyliner.

We've also been at Guardians with sunny weather and walked all the way over to the Skyliner to be told its just shut due to a storm approaching in the next hour!!...and again, another long walk to the buses.

Considering its either the bus or the skyliner (never both) I find it amazing that there is no way of finding out if the damn skyliner is running without going up to it.

You may say "just look to see if the carts are moving"....we did that once. Was all the way over the other side of the park and could see the skyliner moving...after a 15 minute walk to get on, the gate was closed and the member of staff said its only moving to let people off!!

It's a shambles...especially this time of year when it's off more than its on in the late afternoons.

I've ended up just getting Ubers to save the constant trek all across the park and back just to get transport back to the resort

Smiley/OCD

Biggest bugbear at the moment is that there is absolutely nowhere (on the app or by asking staff) to find out if the Skyliner is on or not.

At AOA/POP it's Skyliner ONLY to HS/EP....Or BUS only if the Skyliner is down.

It's been a nightmare when we've been in Epcot...its raining so we assume the Skyliner is down so we walk all the way from China to the bus park at the front of Epcot in the rain (its a long way wet through!) Only to wait 30 minutes and then enquire to be told the Skyliner is on...so we have to re-enter the park and walk all the way to the Skyliner.

We've also been at Guardians with sunny weather and walked all the way over to the Skyliner to be told its just shut due to a storm approaching in the next hour!!...and again, another long walk to the buses.

Considering its either the bus or the skyliner (never both) I find it amazing that there is no way of finding out if the damn skyliner is running without going up to it.

You may say "just look to see if the carts are moving"....we did that once. Was all the way over the other side of the park and could see the skyliner moving...after a 15 minute walk to get on, the gate was closed and the member of staff said its only moving to let people off!!

It's a shambles...especially this time of year when it's off more than its on in the late afternoons.

I've ended up just getting Ubers to save the constant trek all across the park and back just to get transport back to the resort
Having stayed at POP & AoA many times, when I first read what you wrote and I was thinking, if you’re at the resorts, just look outside…NOW I realize you are 100% correct about being in Epcot and not knowing.
If you’re at the Land, and the weather is iffy, which way do you go? I know every time I assume, I pick the wrong horse. They do need an MDE update in real time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom