No skyliner at AoA

jenn7lp

Original Poster
So we are bummed because we got an email that the skyliner will be down the week we are there. It's one of the reasons we chose the resort, we use it a lot, and the kids love it. We have had bad experiences with the busses.

Has anyone stayed at one of these resorts with the SL down? Do they send out more busses since the SL isn't running? Is there still a bus staffing shortage?

I was hoping to get a room discount since I know the SL resorts cost more because they have access to it, but that isn't gonna happen.

Smiley/OCD

We’ve stayed at both POP & AoA many times before the skyliner was built and since it opened…I’m actually NOT a big fan in the skyliner, I actually think the buses are faster and wish guests staying at those resorts would have the choice of both. I know I’m in the minority on this but I find the skyliner and the monorail are more like attractions and less like modes of transportation.

That being said, I would make every effort to try to pressure them to give you some sort of discount since that is the main reason you’re staying at those resorts…good luck!! Keep us informed on how you make out!

Tuvalu

Premium Member
If the Skyliner is down for extended maintenance there will be buses to DHS and Epcot. Disney is currently using third-party luxury motor coaches to supplement their current driver shortage.

Sorry to say you likely won’t receive any room discount because Disney is still providing transportation. The monorail station at the Polynesian was down for months (a rebuild) and there were no room discounts. Buses were then used for transportation to MK and Epcot. It was definitely a bummer (as it is when resort pools are closed for maintenance) but refurbs are necessary and always affect some guests vacations.

Hope you enjoy vacation anyway!

jenn7lp

Original Poster
We’ve stayed at both POP & AoA many times before the skyliner was built and since it opened…I’m actually NOT a big fan in the skyliner, I actually think the buses are faster and wish guests staying at those resorts would have the choice of both. I know I’m in the minority on this but I find the skyliner and the monorail are more like attractions and less like modes of transportation.

That being said, I would make every effort to try to pressure them to give you some sort of discount since that is the main reason you’re staying at those resorts…good luck!! Keep us informed on how you make out!
THANK YOU! so much! For writing a civil, mature response, lol. I posted in a fb group yesterday and woke up to 50+ comments calling my post ridiculous, and saying I was a spoiled, entitled Karen, because I asked about a discount....I was alarmed, it was bizarre. Just a miserable group I guess.

But yeah, my daughter's favorite "ride" is the skyliner, lol, and we haven't had a bad experience with it yet. We actually found it to be faster our last trip. I think with the busses last time, we just went on a bad week. They were short staffed with drivers, we got packed in like sardines everytime, and one morning had to wait for 3 busses, because people with ECVs kept showing up with large parties and they got priority and kept taking up all the busses.

I called Disney and they didn't really seem to know anything yet, she said to wait a week and we might get an email about a discount, but all the nasty fb group people said that doesn't happen, so who knows.

Chi84

Premium Member
I understand exactly what you mean. There are times we stay at CBR solely because of the Skyliner. It’s so convenient to get to both Epcot and HS.

I doubt you’ll get a discount, but if you talk to a manager at the resort while you’re there or write a polite email to guest services after your stay explaining why you chose the resort and how your visit was impacted, my guess is that you’ll get something. How much is totally up to Disney.

Smiley/OCD

THANK YOU! so much! For writing a civil, mature response, lol. I posted in a fb group yesterday and woke up to 50+ comments calling my post ridiculous, and saying I was a spoiled, entitled Karen, because I asked about a discount....I was alarmed, it was bizarre. Just a miserable group I guess.

But yeah, my daughter's favorite "ride" is the skyliner, lol, and we haven't had a bad experience with it yet. We actually found it to be faster our last trip. I think with the busses last time, we just went on a bad week. They were short staffed with drivers, we got packed in like sardines everytime, and one morning had to wait for 3 busses, because people with ECVs kept showing up with large parties and they got priority and kept taking up all the busses.

I called Disney and they didn't really seem to know anything yet, she said to wait a week and we might get an email about a discount, but all the nasty fb group people said that doesn't happen, so who knows.
You never know until you ask...the worst they can say (and probably will) is no, but hey, you NEVER know...

Raxel7851

I think you’ll find the Disney aficionados here well informed, polite, and super knowledgeable. Especially if you’re a new poster with good questions. Yeah, there are a few knuckleheads, but the vast majority take a serious interest in giving great information and answers to your questions. I thought I knew a lot about Disney since we’ve been going since 1973. But there’s so many people on this site that are on an entirety different planet and I’m humbled with all of the information they provide. I’d be kinda bummed too about the Skyliner. But I hope it’s not a deal breaker for you to enjoy your vacation. I’ve been bummed since the RR has been shut down at the MK.

jenn7lp

Original Poster
There was your first mistake! 🤣
But seriously there is nothing wrong with your question or concern. When you plan one of these trips there's a lot of money sweat and effort that goes into the planning and when a big curveball like that closure comes along it is disheartening.
I hope no matter what that you have a marvelous time!
Hahaha thanks! Now I know, never again lol

jenn7lp

Original Poster
I think you’ll find the Disney aficionados here well informed, polite, and super knowledgeable. Especially if you’re a new poster with good questions. Yeah, there are a few knuckleheads, but the vast majority take a serious interest in giving great information and answers to your questions. I thought I knew a lot about Disney since we’ve been going since 1973. But there’s so many people on this site that are on an entirety different planet and I’m humbled with all of the information they provide. I’d be kinda bummed too about the Skyliner. But I hope it’s not a deal breaker for you to enjoy your vacation. I’ve been bummed since the RR has been shut down at the MK.
Thank you!

crawale

So we are bummed because we got an email that the skyliner will be down the week we are there. It's one of the reasons we chose the resort, we use it a lot, and the kids love it. We have had bad experiences with the busses.

Has anyone stayed at one of these resorts with the SL down? Do they send out more busses since the SL isn't running? Is there still a bus staffing shortage?

I was hoping to get a room discount since I know the SL resorts cost more because they have access to it, but that isn't gonna happen.
Just an FYI. If there is any sign of a thunderstorm the sky liner does not run. After the all clear they have to run a whole loop which takes approx 1 hour. it rains a lot in Florida and we have storms all the time. We had to return to our hotel by bus on such an occasion and the wait was long. Even if it is working you should never assume there will not be a stoppage for a storm. This also happens to the boats if there is a storm.

Kamikaze

Delete Facebook and don't look back.

Grumpy4196

If the main reason for booking AoA is the skyliner, you could potentially move to AllStar Music or Movies. Both of these resorts have been refurbished like Pop Century was a couple years ago.

thomas998

I would consider renting a car before I would depend on the godforsaken buses. We have used the buses at ever level of resort from value to deluxe and while they will often provide decent service getting you to the park, the real problem we ran into was getting back to your hotel. Is especially troubling if you are staying till gate the fireworks or gate close as then everyone and his mother seems to be headed to the buses and you can often be stuck waiting hours. Most humorous time was when my wife and daughter decided to go back to the hotel before my other daughter and I, they used the buses, we stayed another hour and a half before trekking back to the car to drive to the hotel. And guess what we got to the hotel room before my wife and daughter. So if you care about being able to get back to your hotel to rest for the next day, get a car. The buses can suck big time.

mf1972

have you thought about switching resorts, or do you have your heart set on AOA? only asking because if you’re concerned about the bus transportation, i’ve seen lines for the AOA busses can be long sometimes, especially going back to the resort after a day in the park. we’ve stayed at POFQ the last few years. smaller resort & the bus transportation has been pretty good. either way, i hope you enjoy your trip & hope the loss of the skyliner isn’t a total bummer for you & your family.

Smiley/OCD

have you thought about switching resorts, or do you have your heart set on AOA? only asking because if you’re concerned about the bus transportation, i’ve seen lines for the AOA busses can be long sometimes, especially going back to the resort after a day in the park. we’ve stayed at POFQ the last few years. smaller resort & the bus transportation has been pretty good. either way, i hope you enjoy your trip & hope the loss of the skyliner isn’t a total bummer for you & your family.
Just as a side note (I’m not the OP), one of the perks of staying at either AoA or POP is that the resorts are so close, in a pinch, you can take the bus for either one and just walk across the lake.
FWIW, we’ve stayed at both resorts when we went with the kids and never had a disgustingly long wait for a bus…now last year, my DW & I stayed at Saratoga Springs…THAT WAS A DISASTER…we rented DVC points from a friend…resort was nice, transportation was not.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom