No-show fee

yedliW

Original Poster
I know you are charged $10pp if you no-show a ADR, but if you have an ADR and not everyone shows up, are you charged the difference?

We are traveling with a couple small children, and one of our ADRs is a bit on the late side for them, so my wife and her sister may be taking them back to the resort and skip dinner that night, while my parents and I go to the late dinner. Our ADR is for 7, if only 3 people show up, will we get charged $40 if we don't change it?

Kate Alan

No, you aren't charged the difference if you have a reservation for 7 and only 3 show up. I've had it happen a number of times where members of my party either weren't interested in eating out that night or couldn't make it and they've never charged me. If you are nervous call them ahead of time, but it shouldn't be an issue.

KTCpiano

My experience has been that as long as someone on the reservation checks in there is no charge. The check-in desk at 'Ohana was very mildly snarky once when we had 2 less than reserved, but there was never even a threat of a charge--just a request to call ahead with changes of party size when possible.

OvertheHorizon

I had an experience where only five were able to show out of a reservation for seven. I wasn't charged.

On a different note, I had a reservation for four once, and tried to make it for five. I was told that the reservation time would need to be an hour later. I was beside myself, since the "new" suggested time was very late for our party. So we told the fifth person it wasn't going to work. However, when we went to the restaurant it was more than clear that they could have added another chair to our table.

I'm now facing a similar situation in October, where I might need to add a third person to a reservation for 2. If I show up with a third person, will they kick me out? :)

Haylo

I had an experience where only five were able to show out of a reservation for seven. I wasn't charged.

On a different note, I had a reservation for four once, and tried to make it for five. I was told that the reservation time would need to be an hour later. I was beside myself, since the "new" suggested time was very late for our party. So we told the fifth person it wasn't going to work. However, when we went to the restaurant it was more than clear that they could have added another chair to our table.

I'm now facing a similar situation in October, where I might need to add a third person to a reservation for 2. If I show up with a third person, will they kick me out? :)

Just like when you tried to add a person to your reservation of 4, they won't kick you out, but they probably won't let the third person in. They allocate seating based on the number of people in your reservation. A reservation for 2 will be allocated a table for 2 and because of things like fire codes and limits to how many people a server can have in their section, you can't just simply add another chair to that table of 2 to seat 3. There'd have to be availability of a 4 top to seat your new, larger party. (now, going from a party of 3 to 4 might not be as difficult since the 3 people would probably already be sat at a 4 top).

Also, the planning and seat arranging is all based on the ADRs, and when people don't cancel and just don't show up, the restaurant still has to keep a table open for them in case they show up eventually. This is why they can have no availability but have empty tables. My suggestion would be, if you even think you might need a table for 3, start looking/book a reservation for 3 and then show up with only 2 if the extra person doesn't come along.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member

I would give it about an 80% chance of success.

While the ideal situation for the restaurant would be to sit you at a 2 top, most restaurants have very few 2 tops if any at all. Odds are you will be at a 4 top making the third person a non issue.

There is of course the chance that they will not be able to accommodate the third person. If you can't modify the reservation in advance to include the third person, just prepare for that contingency.

The bottom line is Disney will do everything they can to get you and your extra person in.I tend to dine with large group coming from all of WDW and the numbers are always changing. I have never found Disney to fall short of bending over backwards to help us deal with an extra person or two.

Just be polite and kind to the person checking you in, arrive a little early and be prepared to wait a little extra and you should be fine.

Epcotfan21

I had made a reservation for 4 adults at 1900 Park Fare and when I told the lady at the counter during our check-in time that our party was here, and it was 4 adults and we needed a high chair for my sister's baby, she was stunned and told me the reservation was only for 4. I had no idea that Disney considers a child under the age of 1 needing to be placed on the reservation. As a result, we had to wait another 30 minutes till they "fixed" a table for us. In the end, it wasn't a big deal, just more surprising that they couldn't easily accomodate a table for 4 with a high chair and Disney wants you to count a baby as part of a reservation.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I had made a reservation for 4 adults at 1900 Park Fare and when I told the lady at the counter during our check-in time that our party was here, and it was 4 adults and we needed a high chair for my sister's baby, she was stunned and told me the reservation was only for 4. I had no idea that Disney considers a child under the age of 1 needing to be placed on the reservation. As a result, we had to wait another 30 minutes till they "fixed" a table for us. In the end, it wasn't a big deal, just more surprising that they couldn't easily accomodate a table for 4 with a high chair and Disney wants you to count a baby as part of a reservation.
It has been that way for quite some time. Putting chars at the ends of tables is a big no-no when a restaurant is not set up for it. Most high volume places are not.

Hockey89

You asked for a table of 4 and surprised when they stunned when you show up with 5? Where was the baby going to sit at the table of 4? lol...Good lord.

NeedMoreMickey

I've had problems booking a table at some restaurants for 2, tried the same time for 4 and got a table. It's only happened a couple of times and when we got to the restaurant we told them the other couple couldn't make it because one wasn't feeling well, no problems. I don't think it's right to deny a party of 2 guest in the first place so I don't feel bad about booking 4 and only 2 showing up.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom