No more old Fast Pass?

lazyboy97o

We have enjoyed the Magic Bands and FP+. Once it's out of beta testing others will probably see its benefits as well. While it's in beta testing I just don't see the major harm in double dipping with paper FP as well. That as a moral crime pales in comparison to something like people joining a scooter tour while traveling the parks. The % of people who have Magic Bands and double dip just isn't that big relative to the many thousands who visit the parks.
While Disney still calls this a test, in application that is not really true. This is the system moving forward. At the very least people need to get used to FastPass+ alone because that is what is coming.

Ralphlaw

I didn't go until 2003, 1999 was BD (Before Disney). By the way, if it was just me, I would be more willing to wait in long lines. With the kids, not so much.

BrittanyRose428

Call me crazy but I never really even use Fast Pass. I would say I probably use it once or twice per trip at the most, and I've gone during some busy times of year (4th of July & Christmas). I usually just do the things that would have long lines in the early morning or late at night and its not that much of a problem. For my last week long trip I think we got one Fast Pass, and I'm pretty sure it was for Thunder Mountain or Splash Mountain, but it was just because we happened to be walking by and the return time was convenient for us, otherwise I would have gone later at night without even putting a thought into it.

disney4life2008

Just out of curiosity... What did you do when you visited WDW before 1999?

-Rob

That is a loaded question though. While lines have always been long well before FP - I am not sure if the amount of people that were in the parks then is equivalent to the number today. Back in the 90s Disney had a real off season - but today even the off season is almost modertate because of the immense amount of guests from Brazil

Donal Duck

well I am sorry to inform you. But I have an annual pass and fpplus and if allowed I will be using both! Sue me and the other people who have done the same thing since fpplus has been rolled out.

I agree. I will use both if the old FP is available too. I'm going the busiest week all year. 3 per day is not enough.
It may be enough for some of you who have gone when the crowds are much lighter.
I booked my vacation a year ago before any magic bands or FP+ were ever rolled out.
If I had know I would be limited to 3 FP+ per day per park and only 1 tier 1 ride, I never would have gone at this time.
You can't go the busiest time of the year and only have 3 FP+s, because that will be the only 3 rides you get to go on without waiting for hours.

disney4life2008

I agree. I will use both if the old FP is available too. I'm going the busiest week all year. 3 per day is not enough.
It may be enough for some of you who have gone when the crowds are much lighter.
I booked my vacation a year ago before any magic bands or FP+ were ever rolled out.
If I had know I would be limited to 3 FP+ per day per park and only 1 tier 1 ride, I never would have gone at this time.
You can't go the busiest time of the year and only have 3 FP+s, because that will be the only 3 rides you get to go on without waiting for hours.

Well said. I was at the Magic Kingdom on the 4th of July and as always the park went through several phased closings. Me and my friend was there from opening until closing at 1am - what saved the day was legacy FP. We were able to ride Space Mountain, Splash mountain, BTMR multiple times because of legacy FP while the standby lines by 10am was exceeding 60+ minutes. On top of that we did the entire park twice on that day. Under FP+ I can not imagine being there on any major holiday that experiences phased closings.

ToTBellHop

The ability to "double dip" and use FP and FP+ is a very temporary benefit for those with MyMagic+ graduate degrees. It will end in the near term with the removal of legacy FP (likely next year). Enjoy it while you can, I say. You aren't breaking the rules if Disney is knowingly allowing it (and they are--for now).

To suggest otherwise would be akin to suggesting that only "bad people" drive 70 mph in a 65 mph speed limit zone because they know they won't get pulled over. If that is your attitude, you are on a very lonely soap box and I'll gladly stay with the sinners.

Weather_Lady

shhhh... don't forget there are the types that claim they never waited more than 15mins for anything ever ;)

I know I've been one of the ones who said that -- but only for one trip! It was for a trip during a low crowd season (early October). We were at a park at rope drop every day and used Fastpasses for anything with a posted wait time over 20 minutes (and thanks to the low crowd season, only headliners had such lines).

Before that, we always went during Easter break, and the majority of those visits were pre-Fastpass. We arrived at rope drop every day but fully understood that by mid-day, we'd be waiting 30 minutes or more for just about everything (I think the longest we ever waited was 90 minutes, for Soarin', but we didn't bat an eye at waiting 45 minutes or more for a headliner). That was totally fine by us, because we'd known "what we signed up for" before we ever left home.

The reason people like me cry "bummer!" when we hear about FP+ is not because it's going to kill us to stand in line, but because nobody likes to backslide. No one wants to have to adjust their expectations in a downward direction. Imagine if tomorrow, the U.S. government decided that it wasn't fair that people who drive to work get there faster than people who take an Amish buggy for religious reasons, so they abolished cars and we were all required to get around in horse-drawn carriages again. It's not that the result is inherently bad -- it puts everyone on more equal footing and everybody still gets where they want to go -- but it's making the lives of car drivers (or to apply the example, savvy Disney tourists) far more difficult and their movements less efficient than before.

That being said, we will lower our expectations and raise our ideas of what is an "unreasonable" wait in line, and adjust to it as we did before. We won't stand in lines whining. We'll take it on the chin and move on. It's just a shame that our WDW experience has to backslide instead of improving.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I know I've been one of the ones who said that -- but only for one trip! It was for a trip during a low crowd season (early October). We were at a park at rope drop every day and used Fastpasses for anything with a posted wait time over 20 minutes (and thanks to the low crowd season, only headliners had such lines).

Don't worry - I wasn't trying to pick on you per say. There are just a lot of people who claim the idea of hour waits didn't exist in the past.. and it's all because of FP/etc. There is a reason disney incorporated entertainment (and later people like Uni went overboard with the TV monitors) in the lines... you waited there a long time :)

The entire thing is too volatile for me to form an opinion on where lines will end up right now... too many ways Disney can shoot themselves in the foot.

JohnD

Well said. I was at the Magic Kingdom on the 4th of July and as always the park went through several phased closings. Me and my friend was there from opening until closing at 1am - what saved the day was legacy FP. We were able to ride Space Mountain, Splash mountain, BTMR multiple times because of legacy FP while the standby lines by 10am was exceeding 60+ minutes. On top of that we did the entire park twice on that day. Under FP+ I can not imagine being there on any major holiday that experiences phased closings.

When put like this, with FP+, you only get 3 additional rides over anybody else. Big whoop, By that I mean, not complaining, but it's not many more than everybody else. With legacy FP, everyone is on the same level, if they decide to make use of it.

Jeff456

I'd definitely double-dip although I doubt that will be possible by September 2014, but then if they phase out legacy FP could they increase the number of Fastpass + attractions you can ride? This would certainly help swing me, I certainly used to use more than 3 FP a day!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom