No more loose ice starting May 1

Figment82

People with insulin need ice, and studio rooms have no freezers for ice packs to work. Disney should really clarify. Is bagged ice ok??

They make pouches that stay cool without the need for ice or refrigeration - Frio, I believe is the brand. I used one when I was still doing MDIs before I switched to my pump. First Aid will also hold insulin for you, but I know that’s not always convenient.

I don’t know what brand you use, but with mine (Humalog), you don’t need to keep the insulin cool once it’s been opened. I was always instructed to warm up the pen before injection to reduce pain, never had a need for ice when out and about. That said, thank goodness for my pump for making outings easier!

John park hopper

Disney does not want resort guests filling their coolers with ice and taking them into the park. It costs Disney money to freeze ice and when a guest brings a cooler they are not buying Disney overpriced water and soda. IMO it has nothing to do with security.

HiJe

People with insulin need ice, and studio rooms have no freezers for ice packs to work. Disney should really clarify. Is bagged ice ok??

I'm a Type 1 Diabetic for 31 years. When I was younger, I always stopped at the First Aid office and they would let me store my insulin in their fridge while I was at the park. I would just have to run back and take my shot a few times a day, which could be a pain. But I would just give my family my food order and run and get my Insulin and by the time I got back, the food was ready.

Alternatively, we would just carry a small bag with Ice Packs. Regular Ice was always a pain because it melted faster and everything would get wet.

CaptainAmerica

Because they are cheap and rude.
They are trying to beat the system and save some money by turning a visit into a virtual camping trip.
I'm so glad WDW is cracking down on this nonsense.
Giant wagons, ice chests... Ridiculous.
tenor.gif

JWG

I'm amused by all of this only because we couldn't wait to NOT have to carry all of this stuff around when we had our daughter. The stroller, the cooler with baby food / milk, snacks, etc. We were estatic when we were forever able to bypass bag check. Even my wife avoids a purse during Disney trips. All we bring in with us is a Camel water bottle that has the charcoal filter built in for use at water fountains.

To each their own but bringing all this stuff in feels like more of a hastle.

natatomic

Disney does not want resort guests filling their coolers with ice and taking them into the park. It costs Disney money to freeze ice and when a guest brings a cooler they are not buying Disney overpriced water and soda. IMO it has nothing to do with security.

If that were true, they’d just ban the coolers. They still allow BAGS of ice and ice packs. There is literally no extra burden on the guest to bring in refrigerated items aside from needing maybe half a dozen sandwich bags. That’s not gonna stop anyone from bringing in their own food at all. It’s security, 100%.
It’s hard to dig through loose ice.

peter11435

They very clearly say that you can still get ice from the quick service locations to fill your coolers. So you are wrong.

Almac97

It's not due to slip hazards, as Disney (whether via free ice cups or in fountain drinks) is providing loose ice inside the park at probably 10x the rate that loose ice is brought in. This must be because security can't see the bottom of containers with loose ice and can get pricked by something sharp if they had to fumble through.

Like many said, bagged ice from an ice machine if you don't have a freezer should be fine as that can be removed. I personally have a freezer when I stay, and I always backpack the parks with a small cooler that holds four 16oz water bottles.

Every night before a park day, I put one of the water bottles in my freezer and that cools the other 3 for the day and then gives you one killer cool ice water bottle at the end.

Roakor

To add on this, I've seen families that bring in coolers full of ice, dump the entire cooler of ice out right on a walkway. Now that imo is much more of a reason to enforce this than just a few ice cubes.

I imagine this is the reason, Its easier to ban it for everyone then try and target those few who are the real probelm.

nickys

Premium Member

Yes, this ^^^^^

If you need to bring insulin to the parks it needs to be kept cold. So it would need to be in ice at least until you could get to a first aid center for them to keep it for you.

I can see some big issues here. Family turn up with insulin vials packed in crushed ice. Are they going to be denied entry? Forced to empty out the ice and then speed walk to the first aid Center? It’s hard enough to keep it properly chilled without the freezer compartments in the in-room fridges, without this added complication. (At least a fridge is cold, unlike a park in the height of summer).

I know there are some suggestions above, but think of your average guest who comes every 2 or 3 years. Why would they check the small print each time?

nickys

Premium Member
I'm a Type 1 Diabetic for 31 years. When I was younger, I always stopped at the First Aid office and they would let me store my insulin in their fridge while I was at the park. I would just have to run back and take my shot a few times a day, which could be a pain. But I would just give my family my food order and run and get my Insulin and by the time I got back, the food was ready.

Alternatively, we would just carry a small bag with Ice Packs. Regular Ice was always a pain because it melted faster and everything would get wet.

So how does an onsite guest with an in-room fridge freeze the ice packs? They don’t have freezer compartments any more.

jt04

I do think it is important Disney provide some basic reasonably priced meal options to go along with this policy. But Disney is right to not allow ice chests etc.

jt04

So how does an onsite guest with an in-room fridge freeze the ice packs? They don’t have freezer compartments any more.

I think some people were suggesting ice from the hotel placed in small baggies might be allowed. Limited amounts.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom