No more loose ice starting May 1

natatomic

well, you have to provide free water and ice or you could have a public relations issue. Someone has heat exhaustion or gets really sick and you didn't provide water or ice it can be a bad deal.
There might even be a law.. but not sure.

I think it’s an either/or situation. They have to provide water OR ice, not both. I would think water would be the better option, since it can take time for ice to melt.

Edited to add that it is law in most states, but not all. However, it is a law in Florida.

jaques21

i would say its probably to cut down on coolers, its an extra that security would have to go through and they are really trying to streamline entrance into the park. I would think that the perk of this for WDW is that maybe some families decide to go with smaller or no strollers since the cooler will not be used also you will be more inclined to purchase refreshments from WDW more. I think its good in the long run if you don't want to pay WDW prices for the refreshments, Mcdonalds, US 192 and SR 535 options are good.

peter11435

well, you have to provide free water and ice or you could have a public relations issue. Someone has heat exhaustion or gets really sick and you didn't provide water or ice it can be a bad deal.
I’m refering to the fact that even in the text regarding the ice ban, it clearly says that you can’t bring it into the park, but then goes on to say that you can get complementary ice for your cooler from quick service locations. So it very much appears to be about park entry and security and not about slips inside the park.

Nottamus

As stated above, Hydroflasks (or similar) are the best. Put cold water in, add a few ice cubes at resort in the AM, have cold water left, and ice, in the PM

We started using ours 4 years ago after reading about them on this forum, and wont go without them! Two bottles fit nicely in backpack.

We are a small family of 2, but i have been behind some at bag check with a stroller and a truckload of bags and coolers....may this rule is to make bag checks go faster?

JWG

Solution: Put water in a ziplock bag. Freeze it. Chop it up when you get inside the park. Job done!

Yes, just use zip lock bags in general. You just can't poor loose ice in a cooler, but you can bag it in a sealable bag.
Part of this, from a security standpoint, is not having to have the security guards put their hands in cold loose ice or avoide checking under said ice I'm sure.

ppete1975

I’m refering to the fact that even in the text regarding the ice ban, it clearly says that you can’t bring it into the park, but then goes on to say that you can get complementary ice for your cooler from quick service locations. So it very much appears to be about park entry and security and not about slips inside the park.
I apologize, I didn't see the cooler clarification on the original Disney message. I'm really surprised they allow coolers, sure granola bars and stuff but its not a picnic :) What size of coolers are allowed.. I'm assuming the small personal igloo style not the ones on wheels... (yes I'm too lazy to look it up) :)

Incomudro

There are water fountains at many locations in every park.

ppete1975

Because they are cheap and rude.
They are trying to beat the system and save some money by turning a visit into a virtual camping trip.
I'm so glad WDW is cracking down on this nonsense.
Giant wagons, ice chests... Ridiculous.

• Wagons are prohibited at any Theme Park or Water Park. Wagons are prohibited at indoor venues at ESPN Wide World of Sports.
  • Any trailer-like object that is pushed, pulled or towed by an Electric Conveyance Vehicle, wheelchair, stroller or person.
Suitcases, bags, coolers or backpacks, with or without wheels, larger than 24" long x 15" wide x 18" high (61cm x 38cm x 46cm) are not allowed in any Theme Park or Water Park. Loose or dry ice is not permitted in these containers. Re-usable ice packs are recommended. Folding chairs are not allowed in any Theme Park, Water Park or Disney Springs.

Good to see they are trying to cut back on this stuff.... how much the ice has to do with this (outside of not knowing what you might be hiding in the ice) I don't know. But honestly its not a picnic, bring a few snacks for yourself sure, but ive seen people in the past with wagons and huge ice chests... (I haven't been back since 2014 so that's a dated reference)

Incomudro

• Wagons are prohibited at any Theme Park or Water Park. Wagons are prohibited at indoor venues at ESPN Wide World of Sports.
  • Any trailer-like object that is pushed, pulled or towed by an Electric Conveyance Vehicle, wheelchair, stroller or person.
Suitcases, bags, coolers or backpacks, with or without wheels, larger than 24" long x 15" wide x 18" high (61cm x 38cm x 46cm) are not allowed in any Theme Park or Water Park. Loose or dry ice is not permitted in these containers. Re-usable ice packs are recommended. Folding chairs are not allowed in any Theme Park, Water Park or Disney Springs.

Good to see they are trying to cut back on this stuff.... how much the ice has to do with this (outside of not knowing what you might be hiding in the ice) I don't know. But honestly its not a picnic, bring a few snacks for yourself sure, but ive seen people in the past with wagons and huge ice chests... (I haven't been back since 2014 so that's a dated reference)

Yes, it's about time.
Thank you for the post too!

For the life of me, I don't understand how it can be enjoyable to travel so heavily laden in WDW just to save a few bucks.

ppete1975

There are water fountains at many locations in every park.
like I said its more a public relations thing, I wasn't sure of the law on it (still not and too lazy to look), that's why most restaurants and theme parks have free water.. outside of the cup if they ever refused and someone choked, had heat exhaustion it would be a horrible public relations, or lawsuit... and you don't want people saying XXXXX is so cheap they don't even give you water.

sy278

So what I have done is bring ice to keep formula / milk cold for our son (10 mos for first trip, 21 mos for second). Now, I filled up a quart size ziptop bag full of ice from the ice machine. I had no way of bringing in the formula otherwise as I can't freeze it in the hotel. How would I go about doing this now? Getting ice in the park isn't an option because the formula or milk would be bad by the time we got there.

Not sure they thought this through for parents of infants...

You should be fine, they have stated that ice in drinks bottles or in ziplock bags is fine.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom