No Monorails

Sonconato

Original Poster
So we just returned home from the MK and it was our first time ever to learn that none of the Monorails were running and they were done for the night. We left about 8:45 PM just before the fireworks, and we had originally planned to head to the Grand Floridian for a bite to eat but decided against that since we had no idea how we'd get back to the TTC. We had to take the boat which fortunately only took about a half an hour but the boat was packed! I'm so glad we didn't wait until after the fireworks. I can't imagine what that was going to be like! Has anyone ever experienced this before?

Sonconato

Original Poster
Monorails go off line for a number of reasons.
As many times as we have gone, never had we experienced ALL (Express, Resort & EPCOT) of the monorails going off line at the same time...especially at the end of the evening, within a couple of hours before the Park closes. We even overheard a CM saying something like, "We don't have enough people to handle these crowds." We asked Security and he said they were all down for the night.

rob0519

So we just returned home from the MK and it was our first time ever to learn that none of the Monorails were running and they were done for the night. We left about 8:45 PM just before the fireworks, and we had originally planned to head to the Grand Floridian for a bite to eat but decided against that since we had no idea how we'd get back to the TTC. We had to take the boat which fortunately only took about a half an hour but the boat was packed! I'm so glad we didn't wait until after the fireworks. I can't imagine what that was going to be like! Has anyone ever experienced this before?

Obviously and unplanned outage or there would have been signage all over the MK and resorts ahead of time. That happened to us twice over the past few years. Buses were provided in both cases.

totaldisneygirl

This happened to us on Thursday at around 4:30 as well! They said it had been happening a lot lately and to email guest services and let them know about our experience...I was staying on the resort loop so I easily could have taken a boat, but the monorails are way more convenient than the boats!!

21stamps

Yeah that's what you pay the premium for a 'Monorail Resort' for to ride buses...

The Poly and GF have boats.. this way is usually much faster than taking the monorail. Even if you're going back to Poly and stop at GF first.
This happened to us on Thursday at around 4:30 as well! They said it had been happening a lot lately and to email guest services and let them know about our experience...I was staying on the resort loop so I easily could have taken a boat, but the monorails are way more convenient than the boats!!

I actually feel the exact opposite. Even when crowded the boats are more enjoyable than a sardine packed monorail.lol

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
The Poly and GF have boats.. this way is usually much faster than taking the monorail. Even if you're going back to Poly and stop at GF first.

I actually feel the exact opposite. Even when crowded the boats are more enjoyable than a sardine packed monorail.lol

I also prefer the boats as I love being on the water back when I used to go I used to ride the boats just for the sheer joy of riding the boats,

But there is no question that Disney charges a huge premium for access to the monorails. So there is no real excuse for their recent unreliability.

Goofyernmost

Yeah that's what you pay the premium for a 'Monorail Resort' for to ride buses...
Come on ford91, even you know how lame that statement was. Since they are on a lagoon perhaps they should swim to the park if equipment breaks. Besides anyone that pays that kind of money because it is a Monorail line, really isn't thinking very clearly. They pay that because of the immersion factor, the "alleged" quality factor and the prestige. They can still tell people that they stayed on the Monorail line even if they never set foot on it, but, you know they have since they aren't shut down days on end. I don't even consider it a monorail resort area, it is, however, a MK resort area which was the original intent.

Sonconato

Original Poster
I forgot to add that when we were going to MK, we met a man who had been on a monorail for 45 minutes at the station just a few days earlier with no air conditioning. The doors of the monorail did not open because they did not work, and when they finally did, he had to take the ferry anyway. He said that no one was apologetic. Additionally, our original plan was to take the "water taxi" to Grand Floridian, but the line for it was probably over an hour wait and we gave up.

correcaminos

Just as an FYI you can actually walk from GF to the TTC if the monorail is ever down again.

We run into monorail issues often (especially the resort line) so we don't rely on them much. Part of why I'm not a huge GF fan - you are stuck going to Polynesian first before going to MK and they are not accessible.

The ferry back from the TTC to Polynesian is a great option too if you are on the further end of the resort or even just wanting to get back without taking the smaller boats or monorail. That's our preferred method of transport to/from MK.

21stamps

Come on ford91, even you know how lame that statement was. Since they are on a lagoon perhaps they should swim to the park if equipment breaks. Besides anyone that pays that kind of money because it is a Monorail line, really isn't thinking very clearly. They pay that because of the immersion factor, the "alleged" quality factor and the prestige. They can still tell people that they stayed on the Monorail line even if they never set foot on it, but, you know they have since they aren't shut down days on end. I don't even consider it a monorail resort area, it is, however, a MK resort area which was the original intent.

.. or maybe they pay it for the convenience, views, recreation, and dining options.
I would be annoyed if monorails were down my entire trip, but a day or two wouldn't be a huge deal.

Goofyernmost

.. or maybe they pay it for the convenience, views, recreation, and dining options.
I would be annoyed if monorails were down my entire trip, but a day or two wouldn't be a huge deal.
Which is all part of the quality factor. I agree that it would be a pain to have them down, however, I would never see the Monorails as the reason to park myself in that location. Nice perk, nothing more.

thomas998

It isn't the first time. We've been before when the monorails were all offline. It led to much longer lines for the ferry and other tranportation options... wasn't the end of the world just a bit more standing in line.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
budget-cuts.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom