no Lions on the safari

suechris2

Original Poster
Went on the safari a couple of times last week and there were no Lions. Not only that the drivers never said anything when we drove by. As if they didn't exist at all.

Kobe!!

The lions are generally there unless they are MIA for some reason.

Generally, when you drive by them, the CM's say something along the lines of "they sleep for 20 hours a day" so if you are on the safari and actually do see them (I have seen them twice and have rode the ride over 20 times) it's a special moment.

I have a pic on my facebook I'll try and post later.

drew81

That is odd. Even if you can't see them they usually mention their area.

Maybe they weren't out that day??? IDK

jlevis

Any of the animals on the safari are hit or miss but the lions more so than others. We've noticed the crocodiles have been mia for quite awhile.

NewfieFan

Yeah, I noticed the same thing! I've never really seen them but they're always mentioned... but this time we just drove on by without a word spoken about the lions!

C&D

We always go first thing in the morning and have always seen them (every time we've gone). Not to say they weren't removed for some reason but that does seem a bit odd (not seeing or hearing about them).

Captain Hank

:shrug: Lions have been out pretty much every day for the past several weeks, but have not been terribly visible lately (except for today and yesterday--they seemed to enjoy the change in weather). No idea why the drivers you had weren't mentioning them. They should at least be introducing the kopje and making some sort of comment about lions and other predatory cats using them as lookout posts. The best lion show tends to be on towards evening. You have almost no chance of seeing them regardless of whether they're out or not between 11 and 2.

As for crocodiles, they were off-show while the croc bridge was being refurbished and for their physicals. They're back now.

coachwnh

In the Parks
No
when we were there in august we were told the lions were not out because they were mating. not sure if this is still the case, but thats what were were told.

sksowell

Yeah they seem to be always laying down out of sight. We have seen them but usually it's just their hair hanging over the rock.

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
3-4 visits per year since '98. I have seen then even if barely every trip. Early morning is when to ride.

Captain Hank

when we were there in august we were told the lions were not out because they were mating. not sure if this is still the case, but thats what were were told.
I'm afraid what you were told was not accurate. The pair of lions currently on-show is not capable of producing offspring (not that they don't make an attempt from time to time...makes for an awkward safari).

This female actually tends to be fairly visible. She's often taking a nap in a crevasse on the main rock formation of the kopje (you have to look back and to the left as you drive alongside the kopje for the first time). Her other favorite place is about 3/4 the way around the kopje, very low and just barely in sight on an outcropping of boulders. She also likes to keep a very close eye on the Addax and Scimitar-Horned Oryx when they graze nearby. Every so often, she'll hop up on one of the tallest rocks and check out the whole area around her.

The male likes to nap either under the tree at the point of the kopje, or at the base of the main rock formation on the side that faces the warthog area. He is a bit more active in the morning, but really the best time to see him is in the late afternoon. Sometime between 4 and 5, he'll start pacing around near the habitat exit (the side facing the warthog area), ready to head in for the night.

We saw one of the females (is there more than one?) last week, she was wedged between the rocks napping. Lions are cats. Like any other cat species they sleep ALOT and they generally hunt at night so they sleep throughout the day. It is odd that they didn't even mention them though.

powlessfamily4

We always go first thing in the morning and have always seen them (every time we've gone). Not to say they weren't removed for some reason but that does seem a bit odd (not seeing or hearing about them).

I agree. I always go first thing when the park opens. I have seen the lion actually sitting up once and the other 2 times he was laying down and you could just see the tuff of his mane. The female lionesses I have only every seen various body parts and they were sprawled and sleeping.

I was there last week and saw a little of each. We did see the crocs... I will post a pic later when I get home.

I was able to take a few pics of the baby elephants playing. They were so cute!!

Phonedave

Female was napping in plain view at around 12:00 noon on Saturday 10/1/2011. The male was hunkered down a bit and was only visable if you looked back as you passed.

Very rarely have I NOT seen lions.

Crocs were out in force as well (6 to 8 of them)

Elephants were there, but not playing nice, and were hard to see.

-dave

Fable McCloud

When we went in Feb/March, we went on the second safari cart and there were no lions. Our driver said nothing about them and the rock was deserted.

I was all set to get a good shot and I told my BF "that's where the lions should be" and then there were none.

Maybe they were on vacation?

hajenga

saw the male

We went early in day on 9/24 and 9/27. Saw so many more animals, including the male lion, on 9/27.

My husband could have reached his hand out and touched one of the girrafs that crossed our path. It was so beautiful.

suechris2

Original Poster
thanks for the responses

I've been there many times and there are times where we don't see them. But as you go by the driver usually talks about them. This time is was different. No talk as we went by. Thats why I brought it up. Maybe they were in for some reason on the days I went. Glad to hear that some people saw them the same week I was there.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom