NO lawsuit in death of boy at GF

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
Thank you for sharing, I'm sorry for your loss.

It may be how you are, and there are plenty of people who feel the same as you. But I will and do believe that there are also still people left in this world who do not look for lawsuits. I'll also believe and know that at least some of us are intelligent enough to understand the difference between negligence and nature.

Why does there need to be speculation or looking for the worst in people, like parentsOf4 said? Seriously, the family released a statement, they aren't suing. So what does insulting speculations about their character accomplish?

Nobody actively looks for the worst in people but NOBODY KNOWS what the family was planning to do before this statement was released. For all we know they were planning on suing before Disney came to them with a donation. I don't know, you don't know, all the people trying to think for the family doesnt know.

Wendy Pleakley

http://www.people.com/article/lane-graves-gator-attack-victim-parents-not-suing-disney

In a statement provided to PEOPLE, George A. Kalogridis, president of Walt Disney World Resort, said: "In the wake of this tragic accident we continue to provide ongoing support for the family, which includes honoring their request for privacy."

Seems pretty clear Disney is providing financial assistance. Had Disney not provided assistance would there be a lawsuit? Probably, but it's pure speculation.

bethymouse

I am a bit surprised, but I still kind of wonder about why the family decided not to sue... there must have been a very good reason.:confused::eek:

NearTheEars

You are using one case study and one piece of anecdotal evidence to support your claim that "everyone is...lawsuit happy."

Some people are lawsuit-happy. And some of them get a lot of money and make headlines. Most people do not receive multi-million dollar pay-offs.

I'm sure Disney offered to compensate this family in some way. They may have insisted that all of the money go to this foundation. We will never know. But making assumptions about a family going through grief most of us (I would hope) cannot sympathize with is awful.

Something as simple as a trip-and-fall occurs all the time at Disney. Not everyone tries to sue over that.

Somebody hasn't seen all the Dan Newlin billboards around here. ;)

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
@ParentsOf4

If Disney did make a significant donation to the foundation(which I assume is a not for profit), would Disney be able to write that donation off?

If it is the appropriate type of non-profit foundation, yes, Disney can write off a portion of their donation. However, most corporations would just report the entire amount as a business expense on their corporate tax form.

Why would you ask such a question? The report I heard this morning on NPR stated that Disney is continuing to provide support to the family. And yes, I will assume that mean financial.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Oh that clearly will not be happening.

Remember, these are fences meant to keep people out of the water, Not alligators off the beaches.

I think some folks have missed that point... the fences are to keep people out of the water... they'd never prevent an alligator from crawling onto the beach.

Filby61

Stop assuming the worst in everyone.

I don't normally disclose personal details but feel it's appropriate considering the way this thread is going.

My father died because a doctor screwed up his care. We decided not to sue because he admitted his mistake and seemed genuinely sorry for it. He did not intend for it to happen so we just let it go.

Sometimes mistakes happen and, sometimes, "I'm sorry" is enough for closure.

Different people grieve differently. There is no "right" or "wrong" way to grieve.

Whatever Disney did, it was enough for the Graves.

In the wake of their tremendous loss, the Graves family may have simply wanted closure. They may have simply wanted to move on.

This.

There are still class acts in this sorry world, and it's not inconceivable that the Graves family are among them -- people made of better stuff and motivated by deeper concerns than money.

Goofyernmost

@ParentsOf4

If Disney did make a significant donation to the foundation(which I assume is a not for profit), would Disney be able to write that donation off?
I'm curious as to what that question is trying to imply. If the answer is yes or no. What does it matter?
http://www.people.com/article/lane-graves-gator-attack-victim-parents-not-suing-disney
Seems pretty clear Disney is providing financial assistance. Had Disney not provided assistance would there be a lawsuit? Probably, but it's pure speculation.
I'm not sure that it means anything at all. I am sure the regardless of whether or not and to what degree Disney has attempted to ease the burden of that family, it is entirely possible that there are still people whose soul is not yet black enough to feel the need to blame someone else for a random disaster. Perhaps what Disney did do to help, might have been from someone connected with Disney whose soul also isn't black and truly wanted to help even though they didn't feel responsible. It is possible that the family was just appreciative of whatever assistance that they got from Disney and didn't feel the need to carry it any further. No wonder it is getting to be such an awful place to live here in the states. If they can find any joy in having their child replaced by a few dollars then they don't deserve my concern either.

Phil12

I think some folks have missed that point... the fences are to keep people out of the water... they'd never prevent an alligator from crawling onto the beach.
And last time I checked, alligators can not read. Also, under Florida personal injury law, Disney has very little liability in this case.

victoryyy

When I was done with them I would have OWNED the Grand Floridian

Good luck with that Ratatouille. You sound like the type of person that stages car accidents to shakedown innocent victims.

What happened to personal responsibility? There are signs up saying no swimming, ie don't go in the water. Aside from signs, it's Florida, reasonable people would think at least there is a possibility of gators being around. The kid went in the water and something bad happened. I don't know the facts exactly what happened and I'm not blaming the family, I have kids and it seems plausible the kid very momentarily got in a bad position before the parents could stop it. Accidents happen. Kids run onto the street out of no where, they get hit, the driver and/or the municipality is not held liable without some gross negligence being present.

From what I read it seems like the family would have a tough time winning the case. Signs were up, maybe they could have been more explicit but unless there is some gross negligence how could Disney be held liable for the actions of a wild animal? I find it hard to believe if I am at a backyard picnic with friends and a bear attacks out of no where that the homeowner is responsible for the bear.

I fully agree with the previous posters that Disney has contributed to the fund in some form. Seems like the right thing to do although I doubt they would acknowledge any wrong doing on their part. A reasonable settlement has to be better value than a court and public opinion battle.

I can't find the stat right now but doesn't the US have 70% or some huge percent of the total number of lawyers worldwide? It that doesn't suggest a ambulance chasing, sue happy population I don't know what does.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom