No FastPass for Star Wars?!

Minnie1986

I've just read on the WDW website that FastPass+ will not be available for Smuggler's Run in the new Star Wars land. Holy %$#!, How on earth are they going to manage that or are people supposed to plan? What are you guys planning to do? My head is spinning!

nickys

Premium Member
I understand the frustration at not being able to book FPs for the Millenium Falcon in the same at as you can for everything else.

But, imagine now that you were able to book an FP for a Thursday @ 2pm. Come Thursday, by lunch time it’s apparent that Galaxy’s Edge is full to capacity, and that no one is in a hurry to leave. Already those with FPs from noon haven’t been able to get into the land to use their FP. You now arrive and can’t even get into DHS.

Disney are left with a nightmare situation of having hundreds of guests all waiting at Guest Services.

Far better to have a virtual queue system in place to get into GE so that guests can go and do other things and return at a certain time. Sure, there’s still a chance that the land will be full, and the line to get in is growing. But at least the result is not quite as drastic.

@Magic Feather has already said the plan is to have a virtual queue system in place. Whether that’s immediately or after a few weeks we don’t yet know. I imagine we should find out though a few weeks after GE opens at DL. When they see how things work there, they will no doubt announce plans for DHS.

As for planning.... plan to be there on a certain day, early, and hope for the best for now. When they announce the operational logistics for DHS then you can adapt your plan if necessary. Stay onsite and hope for EMH; be prepared to book an upcharge event; have a back-up day planned.

Upvote 0

Minnie1986

Original Poster
I understand the frustration at not being able to book FPs for the Millenium Falcon in the same at as you can for everything else.

But, imagine now that you were able to book an FP for a Thursday @ 2pm. Come Thursday, by lunch time it’s apparent that Galaxy’s Edge is full to capacity, and that no one is in a hurry to leave. Already those with FPs from noon haven’t been able to get into the land to use their FP. You now arrive and can’t even get into DHS.

Disney are left with a nightmare situation of having hundreds of guests all waiting at Guest Services.

Far better to have a virtual queue system in place to get into GE so that guests can go and do other things and return at a certain time. Sure, there’s still a chance that the land will be full, and the line to get in is growing. But at least the result is not quite as drastic.

@Magic Feather has already said the plan is to have a virtual queue system in place. Whether that’s immediately or after a few weeks we don’t yet know. I imagine we should find out though a few weeks after GE opens at DL. When they see how things work there, they will no doubt announce plans for DHS.

As for planning.... plan to be there on a certain day, early, and hope for the best for now. When they announce the operational logistics for DHS then you can adapt your plan if necessary. Stay onsite and hope for EMH; be prepared to book an upcharge event; have a back-up day planned.
Thanks for putting that into perspective for me. I think the initial shock just hit me like a ton of bricks and I definitely panicked trying to figure out how to manage that with a 9 yo. What I was told was that once DHS reaches capacity, you won't be able to enter the park, Star Wars or not. Would it make sense to try and plan all of HS for one day?

Upvote 0

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Thanks for putting that into perspective for me. I think the initial shock just hit me like a ton of bricks and I definitely panicked trying to figure out how to manage that with a 9 yo. What I was told was that once DHS reaches capacity, you won't be able to enter the park, Star Wars or not. Would it make sense to try and plan all of HS for one day?
It would make the most sense to avoid DHS entirely. When are your exact dates? It's going to be borderline unsafe in there for months and definitely not any fun.

Upvote 0

Minnie1986

Original Poster
1. Cursing
2. How on Earth...
3. Whatever shall we do?
4. "Head spinning!"
5. !?
6. Starting this thread in the first place
1. I very specifically did not curse.
2. What is wrong with the expression how on earth?
3. The concept was strange and confusing to me. I've never encountered anything like this before.
4. If you don't like someone's post, simply don't respond to it. There's no need to come in here and be rude and sarcastic.

Upvote 0

nickys

Premium Member

Well yes, if DHS reaches capacity you won’t be able to enter. Although if you’re staying onsite, there would have to be a phase 4 closure for that to happen.

I originally thought there would be two lines. One for Galaxy’s Edge only, which would continue outside the park gates. And one for general park entry.

But if they go for a virtual queue, that might not be needed.

Personally I would plan a day for GE and a day for the rest of DHS. And then re-evaluate it when they announce the logistics. Since you can’t book FPs for it, plan your (r)DHS day first. Allow some time at the start to get a return time in a virtual queue. Then see what time you have left. If the announcements come after your FP day, then go ahead and book the FPs. But the more flexible you can be, the better your chances of riding the MF.

Upvote 0

Family_Man

I think the best you can "plan" star wars land would be to rope drop (60 minutes or more before park opening). Its the best way to be sure you will get in. And it will definitely be the shortest waits until may 2 minutes before the park closes. It looks like you are going in November - and the biggest problem you may have is whether Rise of the Resistance is open by then.

If I really wanted to see Star Wars land, I would plan two Hollywood Studios mornings. I would rope drop Hollywood studios both days to get on to the attractions. Then I would have scheduled fastpasses for the other parts of Hollywood studios (or another park if you have park hoppers) in the afternoon. A morning rope drop should get you on to the ride.

Upvote 0

Minnie1986

Original Poster
Well yes, if DHS reaches capacity you won’t be able to enter. Although if you’re staying onsite, there would have to be a phase 4 closure for that to happen.

I originally thought there would be two lines. One for Galaxy’s Edge only, which would continue outside the park gates. And one for general park entry.

But if they go for a virtual queue, that might not be needed.

Personally I would plan a day for GE and a day for the rest of DHS. And then re-evaluate it when they announce the logistics. Since you can’t book FPs for it, plan your (r)DHS day first. Allow some time at the start to get a return time in a virtual queue. Then see what time you have left. If the announcements come after your FP day, then go ahead and book the FPs. But the more flexible you can be, the better your chances of riding the MF.
Makes total sense. Thankfully, I will be staying on site, so hopefully this will help. My original plan was indeed to separate HS into two days but I guess the possibility of not being able to get in kinda threw me off; was also expecting the two separate line scenario. Forgive me if this is a silly or obvious question, but what do you mean when you say a virtual queue? Again, thank you for helping to look at this realistically. Really appreciate it!

Upvote 0

Minnie1986

Original Poster
I think the best you can "plan" star wars land would be to rope drop (60 minutes or more before park opening). Its the best way to be sure you will get in. And it will definitely be the shortest waits until may 2 minutes before the park closes. It looks like you are going in November - and the biggest problem you may have is whether Rise of the Resistance is open by then.

If I really wanted to see Star Wars land, I would plan two Hollywood Studios mornings. I would rope drop Hollywood studios both days to get on to the attractions. Then I would have scheduled fastpasses for the other parts of Hollywood studios (or another park if you have park hoppers) in the afternoon. A morning rope drop should get you on to the ride.
Thanks for this. Once my "heart attack" subsided, this was basically the plan I came up with; nice to know it actually makes sense. Yes, I am going in early November, so Phase 2 may tinker with my plans somewhat. If I had it my way, I would simply wait until long after both phases had opened, like I did with Pandora. Unfortunately, the child i'm taking (and the whole reason I'm even attempting to take Star Wars land) will only be able to going during this specific week for quite some time; want to make sure he has as good a time as possible.

Upvote 0

nickys

Premium Member
Makes total sense. Thankfully, I will be staying on site, so hopefully this will help. My original plan was indeed to separate HS into two days but I guess the possibility of not being able to get in kinda threw me off; was also expecting the two separate line scenario. Forgive me if this is a silly or obvious question, but what do you mean when you say a virtual queue? Again, thank you for helping to look at this realistically. Really appreciate it!

A virtual queue is like the old FP system in a way. You’ll go up to a scan point and get a return time for the land itself. At that time you’ll join a queue and will be let in once there is sufficient capacity in Galaxy’s Edge. That of course depends on people leaving.

There are of course several ways that a virtual queue could be managed. But it’s essentially waiting your turn but not having to wait in a line for 6 hours.

Upvote 0

Minnie1986

Original Poster
A virtual queue is like the old FP system in a way. You’ll go up to a scan point and get a return time for the land itself. At that time you’ll join a queue and will be let in once there is sufficient capacity in Galaxy’s Edge. That of course depends on people leaving.

There are of course several ways that a virtual queue could be managed. But it’s essentially waiting your turn but not having to wait in a line for 6 hours.
Thanks!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom