No extended hours for summer and fall 2017?

crxbrett

Sorry, but I have a really hard time with this. Yeah, Disney USED to stay open later, but I would assume they recently decided that it just wasn't worth it as a company to stay open for 5% of the daytime crowd (I'm just making numbers up to make a point). It doesn't mean they're cheap if they adjust their operation to make more money for the stockholders. You'd like to see them hitting a middle ground on things like this - taking care of the guest while also taking care of the stockholders. But always remember that Disney is a business, and they make their major decisions from that standpoint rather than that of the tourist.

It's cheap when they always had longer hours in the past and yet attendance was lower back then and a guest got way more ticket value at that time. Prices have only gone up, lessening the value and attendance has only gone up, so it's not like they are struggling. So it comes off as definitely being cheap for a company that was making tons of money and closes the parks earlier and earlier now in order to gain extra profits no matter how minute they may be. We, as consumers are paying more for quite less now. From a company that had very high standards for decades, I can only see that as being cheap in order to make a sliver of a profit gain. It's bean-counting and no matter how you try to explain the reasons, it still boils down to the consumer getting less than what they used to while paying more now. The value has diminished. And it all goes back to the corporate greed and those higher ups being cheap. Any time a successful company such as Disney that is clearly making a huge profit makes cutbacks - it's cheap. You can spin in it and say it's because they want more money. Of course they are business and want profits to be as high as possible. But it doesn't change the fact that they have gotten cheap in order to make those profit margins look better for the shareholders.

crxbrett

I think what has upset me and many others is not the simple fact that they scaled back hours slightly. They scaled them back drastically in a very short time span. If they wanted to close the parks earlier daily, that is fine. But at least keep the extended hours once a night each week at each park like they used to do. They've cut that out as well as the park's daily hours.

That's what really screams being cheap to me.

I apologize if I went on a rant, but I won't apologize for calling Disney World out for being cheap when their growth has been peaking for well over a decade now.

po1998

The 10PM summer closing hours for MK(except for PM EMH one night a week) are flat out embarrassing. TDO...the gift that keeps on giving.

Did they even consider that in the unforgiving summer heat and humidity, that some people might want 3-4 hours in the MK after the sun has gone down?

Dory71

I think what has upset me and many others is not the simple fact that they scaled back hours slightly. They scaled them back drastically in a very short time span. If they wanted to close the parks earlier daily, that is fine. But at least keep the extended hours once a night each week at each park like they used to do. They've cut that out as well as the park's daily hours.

That's what really screams being cheap to me.

I apologize if I went on a rant, but I won't apologize for calling Disney World out for being cheap when their growth has been peaking for well over a decade now.
I totally agree with your rant. Earlier park closings and less Extra Magic Hours is definitely making it harder to do all that we want to do on our trips. Wait... maybe they are hoping we add days to our trip to get it all in... :(

crxbrett

I totally agree with your rant. Earlier park closings and less Extra Magic Hours is definitely making it harder to do all that we want to do on our trips. Wait... maybe they are hoping we add days to our trip to get it all in... :(

That's something I never even considered. But it makes sense whether or not it's intentional or not. Cut park hours by 2-4 hours and people might have to extend a trip that was once 6 days into an 8 day trip. I know I am planning on 12 days for next year simply because I want a very relaxing trip. But with very limited park hours now, that requires adding a couple of extra days. So in my case, less hours did in-fact lead me to book more vacation time.

Hopefully daily operating hours go back up at some point and maybe they will go back to the extended and daily evening magic hours at all 4 parks like they used to.

Rumrunner

Sorry, but I have a really hard time with this. Yeah, Disney USED to stay open later, but I would assume they recently decided that it just wasn't worth it as a company to stay open for 5% of the daytime crowd (I'm just making numbers up to make a point). It doesn't mean they're cheap if they adjust their operation to make more money for the stockholders. You'd like to see them hitting a middle ground on things like this - taking care of the guest while also taking care of the stockholders. But always remember that Disney is a business, and they make their major decisions from that standpoint rather than that of the tourist.
Well I am a stock holder and a patron. Closing early and having no extended hours is not a good business decision. One of the big reasons to stay at a Disney resort is the extended hours perk. Also dumping everyone our of the park right after HEA means a lot of long lines leaving. It may be a business decision but it is not a wise business decision and it will be hard to get to me to see it is nothing but being cheap.

po1998

The 10PM summer closing hours for MK(except for PM EMH one night a week) are flat out embarrassing. TDO...the gift that keeps on giving.

Did they even consider that in the unforgiving summer heat and humidity, that some people might want 3-4 hours in the MK after the sun has gone down?
(Replying to myself)...I had no idea how much the MK hours had been scaled back until I compared them to August 2015 and August 2016.
WOW...I mean WOW!!!!!!

I'd be ed if I had planned a vacation this August expecting similar hours to the past two summers! :mad:

Rumrunner

I just don't think Disney cares anymore. Maybe they are wanting to turn off the lights to limit their carbon footprint-gag. It would fit Iger's logic

NickMaio

This will be our 8th trip since 2008 and it will be the first time EVER we do not see extended hours for Aug - Sept 2017, not to be confused with extra magic hours! Is this because of the Disney weddings? I see there has been quite the $$$ accumulated so far. It is awful not to have these much beloved extended hours a couple of times a week/ weekend! If anyone working at Disney knows the answer to this, your response would be much appreciated :)! We love Disney, but are saddened by the multiple cutbacks and price increases every year... https://www.wdwinfo.com/news-stories/disneys-magic-kingdom-offers-nighttime-weddings-for-180000/
Let Disney know how unpleased you are - I personally think these hour reductions are ridiculous during summer hours.Park of the fun and experience is during the night time hours.
Cutbacks for sure -

NickMaio

Also - EVERYONE
If you are as displeased with the reduction in Park hours - PLEASE contact Disney and let them know how you feel.

Eddie Garrison

So it's basically over Magic that a lot of people are upset, right?

EPCOT has basically always closed at 9:00 PM. Minus New Years Eve.

Animal used to close before dark (like 5:00 or 6:00) even as soon as 2015 in the Summer they closed that early. Then they had the Tree of Life "show", night time safari's and Pandora so they stay open later now.

The Studios was never really a late night closing park either. Maybe till 9:00 and 9:30 for the most part.

It's always been Magic that has stayed open later than the other parks. I even remember as a kid in the late 80's it was open late as well. Many of nights we didn't back to our rooms until close to or after 2:00 am.

However, as others have mentioned already, they often do update the hours based on a number of variables. We've been at Typhoon recently when they were closing at 5:00 PM and made an announcement they were staying open until 8:00 PM.

drizgirl

So it's basically over Magic that a lot of people are upset, right?

EPCOT has basically always closed at 9:00 PM. Minus New Years Eve.

Animal used to close before dark (like 5:00 or 6:00) even as soon as 2015 in the Summer they closed that early. Then they had the Tree of Life "show", night time safari's and Pandora so they stay open later now.

The Studios was never really a late night closing park either. Maybe till 9:00 and 9:30 for the most part.

It's always been Magic that has stayed open later than the other parks. I even remember as a kid in the late 80's it was open late as well. Many of nights we didn't back to our rooms until close to or after 2:00 am.
I think it's about the tradeoff of late hours in the MK, with lots of attractions open for late hours in AK with only two attractions open. Nothing to do without waiting in ugly lines.

Eddie Garrison

I think it's about the tradeoff of late hours in the MK, with lots of attractions open for late hours in AK with only two attractions open. Nothing to do without waiting in ugly lines.

I get it, to a certain extent.

I was just saying it seems most are upset with Magic's hours ... Not the hours overall at the other parks, as they have been at least similar to what they are now for some time now.

jprieur

Worst casualty of these earlier closing time changes: Pandora

We are going over Labor Day weekend for 4 days, animal kingdom is open till 9 pm most nights with 1 night stretched to 9:30.

So basically Disney spent all this money designing a land that 'comes alive at night' only to have it open for 45 min after civil twilight, and only 20 min after nautical twilight where you enjoy full use of lighting effects. Thanks Disney.

NickMaio

We are going over Labor Day weekend for 4 days, animal kingdom is open till 9 pm most nights with 1 night stretched to 9:30.

So basically Disney spent all this money designing a land that 'comes alive at night' only to have it open for 45 min after civil twilight, and only 20 min after nautical twilight where you enjoy full use of lighting effects. Thanks Disney.
That seems to be the way they are going - profits over theming :(

crxbrett

Yep. This is my frustration. They are cutting hours back before they should be. By late October 9pm would be plenty late enough, but in late August it really needs to be open til 10 or 10:30p. I am amazed they are selling the area to guests as a whole different experience at night, yet aren't allowing that experience to be fulfilled.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom