No Annual Pass this trip, ideas on what to do outside the parks?

Hurricane

My family has been AP holders for the past 18 years. We decided that we were not going to renew, but we were still going to take a vacation in Otown because of the great prices at WL that were offered a few months ago.

So what I need is an idea of things to do on disney property but outside of any of the 4 parks (trust me i don't need to visit the parks for at least a year, i've prolly been 200 times in my childhood)

So far here are my ideas, please post more

Find 5 legged goat at Contemporary
Wide World of Sports (has ANYONE ever been there?)
Disney Quest (is that even still open?)
Tonga Toast at Poly
High Tea at GF
Illuminations from international gateway
Pool hopping (only at the hotel we're registered at of course ;) )
Dinner at AKL

Anyone have any other outside of park traditions or interesting things to do?

Beauty and the

How about play golf on one of the beautiful disney course's we tried 9hole at the Oak Trail highly recomended.
Or minigolf at either of the two courses always great fun for the kids
What about a boat ride out on bay lake, one of my personal favourites
or if you're feeling really energetic a game of tennis at the Cont. we did find this rather hot ina August:animwink:

Upvote 0

BigAL

Outside

I was not sure if Universal was an option or not. Right now through the Universal Fan Club you can get an annual pass for $99. I think this pass might get you in to Wet -n- Wild to.

Upvote 0

frank2271

Re: Outside

Originally posted by BigAL
I was not sure if Universal was an option or not. Right now through the Universal Fan Club you can get an annual pass for $99. I think this pass might get you in to Wet -n- Wild to.

How do I become a member of this club? That's a GREAT deal!!!!

Upvote 0

Mufasa_AC

We never fail to rent bicycles. There are some great places for bike rides. Our favorites are Old Key West and Wilderness Lodge. There is a trail leading out of the back of OKW that takes you to the Tree House Villas, The Disney Institute and Downtown Disney. The trail follows the Sassagola River and passes through the Lake Buena Vista golf course. You can’t enter the resort areas right now because of the construction but it’s still a fun trip. Renting bicycles at Wilderness Lodge allows you to ride through all of Fort Wilderness.

Speaking of Fort Wilderness, try horseback riding. It’s a beautiful, leisurely ride. They also have a great very inexpensive buffet there. Of course there’s always the Hoop-Dee-Doo but I’m sure you’ve seen that.

We frequently rent a pontoon boat at OKW (or Port Orleans) and take it all the way to Downtown Disney where we dock and walk around a bit.

If you like miniature golf and want a real challenge, try Fantasia Fairways. The fairways are 40-70 feet, full of sand traps, doglegs, and real grass.

I went over to the Sports Complex the first week it opened. I think it cost me 8 bucks to get in. It was kind of a drizzly day and I had the place almost all to myself but I had a fantastic time. I watched some tennis and the Harlem Globetrotters were working out on one of the indoor basketball courts. Over at the NFL experience, I punted, passed, received and ran an obstacle course. I even ran the bases at the Braves training camp.

You can spend almost a whole day at Disney Quest. There are 5 floors of some of the coolest things to do! Just be sure to go during a week day morning and/or afternoon.

Now, for your second day ……..

Upvote 0

DigitalDisney

You could easily spend several days fully enjoying the resorts and Downtown Disney and other activities (Mini Golf, World of Sports, water parks). You could add a couple more days for Universal too.

Upvote 0

Hurricane

Original Poster
Just got back from out first forray into an outside the parks vacation and it wasn't that bad, it really left the day open to explore other facets of the resort, had a nice dinner at spoodles and another at AKL, breakfast at Poly (Tonga Toast of course), spent some quality time at the WL pool, and played a little minigolf (actually a lot of mini golf). If you've been to the parks enough to know the entire haunted mansion ride audio (everyone knows the stretching room, do you know the whole thing including the words to grim grinning ghosts?) then I would definatly try to go to WDW without AP or going to the parks

Upvote 0

Coronado

My favorite inside but out of the parks thing to do is go fishing with a guide.... our favorite is Bill. He runs out of Boardwalk at the community hall.....We always catch plenty of bass and have a great time..... the price is right too.....I will let them quote you...to get set up call 1-907-WDW-PLAY.....

Upvote 0

Pioneer Hall

Originally posted by Coronado
My favorite inside but out of the parks thing to do is go fishing with a guide.... our favorite is Bill. He runs out of Boardwalk at the community hall.....We always catch plenty of bass and have a great time..... the price is right too.....I will let them quote you...to get set up call 1-907-WDW-PLAY.....

1-407-WDW-PLAY

Not 907

Are you not able to go to the parks at all? If you can't go to the parks, then how do you deal with going to WDW...I couldn't go without the theme parks.

Upvote 0

Hurricane

Original Poster
Originally posted by DisneyInsider

Are you not able to go to the parks at all? If you can't go to the parks, then how do you deal with going to WDW...I couldn't go without the theme parks.

I'm from Florida and have prolly been to the parks more times in my short 19 year life than you've had birthdays, christmases, easters, thanksgivings, memorial days, veterans days and halloweens combined.

There is really no need for me to go on space mount for the 300th time, its just like it was on the 1st or the 299th. Plus i've been when you can walk on to all rides all day on a lovely 70 degree day in the off season, rather than beat back hordes of sweaty, rude tourists (you know those ones in yellow shirts that follow a flag [my nice way of saying brazillian tour groups for those of you who've never experienced the joy of being in the parks with them]) in a 90+ degree weather with 80%+ humidity. giving up the parks was very little consolation. Tho i must admit it was hard to go by the kingdom on the mono and see the train leaving from the station, but it was also weird seeing disney's version of checkpoint charlie outside MK. Don't be jealous of me, and PLEASE DON'T MOVE DOWN HERE, WE DON'T NEED ANY MORE PEOPLE IN FLORIDA, at least not sane people ;)

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom