Nintendo partnering with Universal to make attractions.

Sped2424

Original Poster
I'm really curious how far along they are with concepts/expansion plans. I'm hoping this isn't an Avatar-like announcement, where they've literally just signed the deal and now have to spend years coming up with attraction concepts.

Here's to hoping we hear some more news sooner rather than later!
I think it's more like avatar sadly. Could be wrong but I feel this was literally just signed today. We didn't hear one peep of this from any inside sources.

Stitchon

To paraphrase our Vice President: this is a big effin' deal. Game changer. Bigger on a cultural level than Potter by far.

Insane.

I'm really curious how far along they are with concepts/expansion plans. I'm hoping this isn't an Avatar-like announcement, where they've literally just signed the deal and now have to spend years coming up with attraction concepts.

Here's to hoping we hear some more news sooner rather than later!

Considering how fast UNI seems to do things nowadays, I wouldn't be surprise if shovels hit the dirt next year and we have Nintendo attractions under construction by the time Avatar opens.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
this is pretty big news.... however as many generations know who Mario is now... will they continue to be as big down the road? How much will Nintendo and it's characters continue to be a player in this market? For example how many kids today know who Zelda or what a Koopa Troopa is? Maybe a lot... I don't know honestly...but Nintendo just now reported it's first profit in 4 years

some cool possibilities though for sure here

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
Very exciting indeed! Though I wonder if they focus on just a couple titles to make large well themed worlds or go for more of the hodgepodge of titles approach similar to Superhero Island. I would love to see an entire Hyrule themed land being that I am a huge Legend of Zelda fan, but I'm guessing Zelda will be confined to just be a single attraction in a larger section. I guess the other question is, with so many memorable Nintendo titles, which do you start with for the main attractions. Undoubtedly, a Pokemon attraction WILL be built in Japan given how insanely popular that franchise still is in Japan. A Metroid attraction could be quite amazing/terrifying as well! Or a Star Fox B&M Wingrider or Flyer with on-board audio... "Do a barrel roll!"... Lots of good options...

IAmFloridaBorn

Next Big Thing

Would make a great headline IP for a land in a third park. The only big IPs left beyond what they have are LotR and Star Trek. Would truly love to see Uni take a shot at some original attractions for a third park as well (one like Mystic Manor would be ideal).

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
while cool, I just don't think Nintendo characters are going to have the same kind of draw like the mass cult that follows things like Harry Potter. Don't get me wrong, they could do some neat things with this... but I just don't see the same amount of folks saying "OMG WE HAVE TO GO" like we saw when HP came about...HP was more "current" then as well

matt78

this is pretty big news.... however as many generations know who Mario is now... will they continue to be as big down the road? How much will Nintendo and it's characters continue to be a player in this market? For example how many kids today know who Zelda or what a Koopa Troopa is? Maybe a lot... I don't know honestly...but Nintendo just now reported it's first profit in 4 years

some cool possibilities though for sure here

Even if they don't know Mario and Zelda most of them will at least know about Pokemon.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
Even if they don't know Mario and Zelda most of them will at least know about Pokemon.

I'm not sure about that... I have a 6yr old girl that wouldn't have a clue who Pokémon is...but I'm sure a lot do. I just get the feeling Nintendo and it's characters (again even though they could do some neat things here) aren't as modern as they once were...

I certainly don't blame them for wanting to pick this up though... I just don't know about the talk about having this as a headliner for a possible 3rd park would really be enough to pull it off

flyerjab

Man! Orlando is really starting to cost me money!

Seriously though, this is huge. It will definitely pull some days away from WDW for us when anything gets built. Good move Universal! They could make a TSMM type game with this for starters.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Awesome news.

It's not Potter awesome, but it's still pretty great. Universals recent track record designing attractions is fantastic too.

matt78

I'm not sure about that... I have a 6yr old girl that wouldn't have a clue who Pokémon is...but I'm sure a lot do. I just get the feeling Nintendo and it's characters (again even though they could do some neat things here) aren't as modern as they once were...

I certainly don't blame them for wanting to pick this up though... I just don't know about the talk about having this as a headliner for a possible 3rd park would really be enough to pull it off

That's why I said most. There aren't any properties that Universal could get that would have 100% approval by the public. While the Wii U bombed for Nintendo the 3DS is still a really popular game system.

Disney6166

This is big news. But please all you posters that keep talking about a third park, please stop!!!! Universal has no more land for a third park, you can drive around there property in 8 minutes flat. There parks have expanded to literally within feet of every neighborhood and expressway around them. There new hotel is literally going to be feet from I-4, same goes for the the new water park. They have announced 2 more hotels in there latest quaterly results, and the little bit of land they have near Jurassic Park is going to be for Skull Island. This Nintendo announcement has to be a retheme somewhere in the existing parks. But whatever they do i'm sure it will be good, like other posters said this is multi-generational and it appeals to every gender.

matt78

This is big news. But please all you posters that keep talking about a third park, please stop!!!! Universal has no more land for a third park, you can drive around there property in 8 minutes flat. There parks have expanded to literally within feet of every neighborhood and expressway around them. There new hotel is literally going to be feet from I-4, same goes for the the new water park. They have announced 2 more hotels in there latest quaterly results, and the little bit of land they have near Jurassic Park is going to be for Skull Island. This Nintendo announcement has to be a retheme somewhere in the existing parks. But whatever they do i'm sure it will be good, like other posters said this is multi-generational and it appeals to every gender.

I heard they were looking to buy more land. Where that land is in relation to the parks I don't know.

Skooterkid

A Men in Black Meets Pokemon-like ride where you shoot pokeballs at different pokemon which pop up randomly when your ride vehicle enters the tall grass, with a super-cool Mew and MewTwo and Charizard animatronic battle scene for the finale! My childhood dreams are on the brink of coming true! Please please please, Universal, make it happen!!!!

Disney6166

I heard they were looking to buy more land. Where that land is in relation to the parks I don't know.
They own a lot more land on I-Drive. It is all being sublet to other business right now (Walgreens, Tourist Traps, and Restaurants). They are going to tear down Wet 'n Wild and was also told that is where the 2 new hotels were going to be placed. As far as I know they have purchased all the land around the parks they possibly could.

Disneyhead'71

They have 55 acres along I-Drive.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom