Nintendo partnering with Universal to make attractions.

JT3000

How powerful is the Nvidia Sheild compared to the Wii U? Because it seems clear that the Switch is a step over the latter. Just compare Mario Odyssey to 3D World.

The Nvidia Shield has more processing power than both the Wii U and the Switch. It can output 4K resolution on televisions, compared to (supposedly) 1080p for the Switch ( the Switch's games are only reaching 900p on televisions so far, 720p on the tablet.)

*nonsense*

No anti-aliasing, you say!? Gee golly, I could hardly tell! The picture quality being presented to the public is just so exquisite that it must not need any!

Last edited:

SirLink

The Nvidia Shield has more processing power than both the Wii U and the Switch. It can output 4K resolution on televisions, compared to (supposedly) 1080p for the Switch ( the Switch's games are only reaching 900p on televisions so far, 720p on the tablet.)

No anti-aliasing, you say!? Gee golly, I could hardly tell! The picture quality being presented to the public is just so exquisite that it must not need any!

It did it was really fantastic. What was wrong with it exactly?

BubbaQuest

Blah blah blah. You can still play a SNES and have a good time. Resolution is not a big factor...

This is what Nintendo has been saying for the past 20 years, and failing. I get resolution doesn't matter for making a great game, but if you just purchased a 4K HDR TV and you hook up your Switch and see black bars or bad scaling issues, it's not something you are going to show off to your friends. More importantly, if developers have already moved on to a 4K standard, they are not going to bother to downgrade their 10GB of master artwork just to chase outdated hardware.

I wouldn't recommend anyone buy a 1080p TV right now if they can afford 4K -- it's readily available and a stable product, even Netflix is already supporting 4K. And that's the problem once again with Nintendo, there is already a 4K capable version of this tablet, but to save $20 they went with a slower older version of the chip. Same with the N64, same with the Wii.

Mike S

This is what Nintendo has been saying for the past 20 years, and failing. I get resolution doesn't matter for making a great game, but if you just purchased a 4K HDR TV and you hook up your Switch and see black bars or bad scaling issues, it's not something you are going to show off to your friends. More importantly, if developers have already moved on to a 4K standard, they are not going to bother to downgrade their 10GB of master artwork just to chase outdated hardware.

I wouldn't recommend anyone buy a 1080p TV right now if they can afford 4K -- it's readily available and a stable product, even Netflix is already supporting 4K. And that's the problem once again with Nintendo, there is already a 4K capable version of this tablet, but to save $20 they went with a slower older version of the chip. Same with the N64, same with the Wii.
4K is nowhere close to being the standard for gaming. Most people won't even need the huge TVs that require 4K to make the picture quality great. A 4K TV the size of my current 1080p TV for example would be a huge waste of money on my end. I don't need anything bigger either.
http://www.cheatsheet.com/technology/reasons-not-buy-4k-tv-right-now.html/?a=viewall

Last edited:

SirLink

Well generally on a 4k TV you would need HDMI 4k specific port and a HDMI 4K Cable which aren't cheap cheap. Plus the Switch dev kit can pull 4k at 30 but as we all know 60fps is the ideal. When the Switch S comes out in 5 years they'll include the capability in the retail unit and release a new dev kit.

Mike S

Well generally on a 4k TV you would need HDMI 4k specific port and a HDMI 4K Cable which aren't cheap cheap. Plus the Switch dev kit can pull 4k at 30 but as we all know 60fps is the ideal. When the Switch S comes out in 5 years they'll include the capability in the retail unit and release a new dev kit.
In 5 years it'll just be the Switch 2. Switch lite, Switch mini, Switch S, etc. would be out in like 2 years as the typical refresh Nintendo always does on their handhelds.

snek

I'm excited for Nintendo land and excited for the switch! I pre-ordered the neon switch and the botw special edition. I know a lot of people say to wait for bundles and more games, but I haven't bought a recent console since the wii, so I have the money to spare and feel it's worth it. :geek:

Jimmy Thick

Blah blah blah. You can still play a SNES and have a good time. Resolution is not a big factor. Talking to a guy who built a computer with a DVD drive that was never use since new faster hardware came out before DVD's ever hit the main stream market. I also owned a car with DVD audio another good plan that never worked out. 4K will show up as the standard down the road but it's useless unless you have a giant screen and a room big enough for it. You can't tell the difference on a tablet in resolutions over HD in fact 720 is the best you'll se if that on a small. screen but I don't want to fight about it. Anti-aliasing along with other video specs are more important. HDR comes to mind as well.

Well it's mildly depressing the Switch is based off technology from the Nvidia Shield, which itself is/was a huge disappointment on par with the Steam Machines.

But if you really want to get down to resolution brass, here are your simple answers.

You need 8 teraflops to pull off a 4K resolution for gaming.

The Titan X, a thousand dollar video card for PC's can produce 11 teraflops.

The Nvidia GTX 1080, another PC video card with a $600 price tag,can produce 8.5 teraflops.

The PS4 Pro produces 4.2 teraflops.
A PS4 can produce 1.8 teraflops.
Xbox One produces 1.3 teraflops.

If the Switch is not as powerful as the Xbox One, there is no way it will ever produce true, native 4K gaming, maybe up scaled 2k with dynamic rendering but 4K is just not possible, it don't have the guts to do it.

Last edited:

JT3000

Blah blah blah. You can still play a SNES and have a good time. Resolution is not a big factor. Talking to a guy who built a computer with a DVD drive that was never use since new faster hardware came out before DVD's ever hit the main stream market. I also owned a car with DVD audio another good plan that never worked out. 4K will show up as the standard down the road but it's useless unless you have a giant screen and a room big enough for it. You can't tell the difference on a tablet in resolutions over HD in fact 720 is the best you'll se if that on a small. screen but I don't want to fight about it. Anti-aliasing along with other video specs are more important. HDR comes to mind as well.

I can understand not wanting to constantly keep up with current technology, or being unable to if one is on a budget, but that doesn't mean it isn't better for those who care, which is why they make it. I happen to care about this stuff, so I'm not going to play a SNES when I have a PS4 Pro. And if I could afford a $5,000 PC, I'd be using that instead.

4K is nowhere close to being the standard for gaming.

4K isn't the current standard for gaming, but it will be, and the other console manufacturers are desperate to make it happen. People were slow to adopt HDTV when the first "HD" console were released, but they eventually did.

Most people won't even need the huge TVs that require 4K to make the picture quality great. A 4K TV the size of my current 1080p TV for example would be a huge waste of money on my end. I don't need anything bigger either.

There's no correlation between resolution and screen size. A 1-inch 4K display will have a higher picture quality than a 100-inch HD display.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom