"Night Kingdom" gets media attention

Disneykidder

Very vague article. I hate when journalists "speculate." We don't care about speculations, we care about facts.

For me, going on vacation with my family would not be an option to go to this Night Kingdom. (the name doesn't even roll off the tongue?) I doubt it would cost $200 a night but I also don't think the families going to Disney would even give it a thought. One parent will have to go alone, while the other watched the kids or bring along a babysitter? Doesn't look appealing to me. I have already pet a big cat a few times, swam with dolphins, sharks and bungee jumping. If Mickey Mouse isn't there, not interested.

Michael72688

First off that station is terrible and why they are the number 1 station in orlando I'll never know. Second I dont think any media should be reporting things like this simply because its not fact. While it would be really cool to see Night Kingdom become a reality no one knows if its actually going to happen, WFTV leave this to the internet for now when Disney announces it, then you report it.

Fun2BFree

Irresponsible journalism at it's finest.

Hardly. Did you see the hyperbole extravaganza when a Vatican official named some social sins? Read the papers, and the Pope has replaced the Cardinal Sins with these New Deadly Sins. The media sure know how to latch on a story and exaggerate the bejeezus out of it. :rolleyes:

On topic though, I would welcome Night Kingdom as another activity to experience at WDW. It's different strokes for different folks, and I'm sure it'll prove a success no matter how many fan-boys boycott it.

Sherrybaby

What wait...didn't you know that this is the site for passing Judgement earlier before something isn't even done yet???:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: example SSE threads:zipit: lol :lol: I'm just kidding...

While you may be "just kidding" you bring up a valid point. People got bashed for not only speculating on SSE but also for voicing their own personal opinions once it opened (oh horrors of all horrors, expressing an opinion on a messageboard!!).

If you are in the "in group" it's ok to bash something or to voice an unpopular opinion because YOUR opinion then makes it popular (but only if you have like nine million nine hundred thousand or so posts here :) Every time I post I get ignored or flamed---there is no inbetween here for "newbies" even though I have been visiting this board for many years.

In any case, the naysayers can't afford the admission price--period (they won't admit it and find other reasons to justify but that's the bottom line). Fine, go to one of the other parks that you love so much and are tired of people "bashing" because it's so perfect. I'm sorry if you can't afford it but that's not a reason to allow those people who can to have a nice experience without reading all of your negativity, that is IF this ever happens....if it does and takes 10 years to build probably most of us won't even care about it anymore!

Sherry.

Pete C

I don't care how much it costs there will be nobody petting any big cats at any Disney World park. Imagine the PR nightmare when someone gets their hand ripped off. Yeah, that sounds like a great idea.

jakeman

How will we experience it for ourselves when we won't be able to afford to get in??
Get a better paying job.

I know that is harsh, but just because it is out of yours or even my price range does not mean it is a bad idea.

I'm not supporting or bashing the idea, just that none of us have enough informationto pass judgement.

WISH4EE@WDW

Lou Mongello (sp) of the WDW Radio Show and DisneyTrivia.com has also reported hearing similar reports. I think if you listen to the podcast two weeks or so ago he outlines the attractions and location. Or you could listen to the Magical Definition Podcast and here Jim's (belabored, I'm sorry I hate hering him speak; :"Welllllll...") description and locations for the so called Nightime Kingdom.

BTW that just a working title or psuedonymn for the park at this point.

yoda_5729

After reading Hill's write up, I extremely doubt Disney would do many of those things as far as direct activity with the animals. Dolphins lend them selves well to interaction with people because of their intellect and relatively peaceful personality in relation to humans.....

However, Hippos are arguably the number one man killers in the entire world, right up there with the Nile Croc. Sticking my hand anywhere near that jaw is not something I want to do. I'm fine with just photographing them. The nightvision stuff would be cool, but again photography for that might be stressful to the animals with flash photography, and if I'm paying that much I'd want to take pictures of the animals. The zip line idea over live crocs.....no thank you.

I think this idea has promise, but anytime guests interact with animals you have to worry about the animals modd and well being.

That's just my opinion though

kennygman

Dumb idea.

Swimming with a dolphin is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for many. Looking at a Lion with night vision goggles is just lame.

PeeplMoovr

For what it's worth - Yesterday I was told by someone in the Disney corporate offices that this has been confirmed and given the green light. :lookaroun

NadieMasK2

I guess I just don't get this idea. I hate to generalize, but the majority of people who go to WDW on vacation are with families, going to see the characters and family-friendly rides. How many families do I already know who go to WDW and think they have seen it all because they go to MK and possibly one other park? It just doesn't seem like this park will hit their target audience. I know that the imagineers can do wonderful things though, so I am definitely curious how it will play out.

jakeman

Perhaps there is a market out there that some folks are unaware of for this type of park.

The fact remains we know nothing substantial at this point to form any opinion either way. As this is most likely years away, perhaps we should just report it and move on instead of assigning words like "dumb" and "brilliant" when we know almost nothing.

Not singling out anyone in particular, just commenting on the polarizing effect any rumor has on the boards.

Brian_WDW74

I'll wait for the announcement.

Did you hear Jim Hill on the latest Magical Definition podcast? He claims that he got a very irate phone call last week from a "Disney insider" who said that they were all ready to announce Night Kingdom at the shareholders meeting but postponed it because Jim "stole their thunder." Which doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me, especially considering that they didn't delay the announcement for DCA after Al Lutz had his big article about it.

sanctumsolitude

The more I think about the concept, the more I have to wonder if Disney is selling the idea the wrong way. So far, it seems (to me at least) like a high end version of Animal Kingdom. This ends up creating the sense of one interactive animal park for those with money and a cheaper, less interactive park for those without. I realize the differences in the concepts, but if it is sold as another animal park, I could see this being a problem.

Which is why I have to wonder if the concept would be better off if the animals were de-emphasized (not removed) and the idea of the Adventurer's Club expanded. So far the concepts we have heard have all been about adventures with animals. Exploring bat caves, feeding hippos, nighttime savanna safaris... they all concentrate on the animal experience. Instead, concentrating on the adventure might be a more worthwhile selling point. In any outdoor adventure, you expect to run into animals anyway (especially in the fictional adventure sense). So instead of exploring bat caves, why not just call it going caving? The bats that you find are an expected result of the adventure. By emphasizing the adventuring aspects of the park rather than the animals, it differentiates it from Animal Kingdom while also justifying the exclusive nature of the theme park.

Personally, I would be more tempted by the full adventure of caving, canopying, rock climbing, etc than by just the animal interactions parts. It also retains some of the mystery of the adventure. Sure, to use the caving example, seeing bats is a guaranteed result of the adventure, but rather than going in for the sole purpose of seeing bats, going in just to explore the caves (and seeing bats as a result) seems like a more thrilling adventure to me. Even if, in reality, they are the same thing.

E102_Gamma

The "Fifth Park" has been sighted over Google news, saying that there has been various reports about it. Like a popular video game, its spreading like wild fire. I don't think this will disappear for a long while, until we hear a official announcement, or someone debunks it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom