NHL Rite of passage?

Lilofan

Original Poster
NHL players can surely afford it but why don't players go to the dentist to get some implants? Is it a rite of passage to show off your missing teeth? And to protect their mouth from getting hit from the puck, there should be some face guards to cover this area.

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
I'm not so sure it's a rite of passage as much as it wouldn't make sense to have dental work done considering they can just be knocked right back out during fights.

lazyboy97o

Why get an implant that may get knocked out? The general thought is that even the players aren’t interested in even allowing the face protection that, at this point, they all wore full face protection growing up and learning to play. Heck, there were still a few older NHL players playing without helmets into the 90s and even a referee until the 00s.

John park hopper

Many years ago I think it was in Life magazine they had a picture of Bobby Hull ?(not sure) they showed a picture of all the facial injuries during his career--scary. This was long before helmets, face guards etc.

Lilofan

Original Poster
Many years ago I think it was in Life magazine they had a picture of Bobby Hull ?(not sure) they showed a picture of all the facial injuries during his career--scary. This was long before helmets, face guards etc.
I remember that picture. The former NHL players that are currently in broadcasting surely cleaned themselves up including a new set of pearly white false teeth.😁

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
We are season ticket holders for the local ECHL team here in Jacksonville and I asked a few players about this and here is what I took away from it.

Having teeth knocked out is part of the game and will remain a part of the game until they make full face masks mandatory.

Most of the guys wear partials when not playing. This makes them look more presentable off the ice and prevents the remaining teeth from moving out of place.

Most players will have their teeth fixed once they hang up their skates. As mentioned before; there is just no sense in having that kind of work done when it is just going to get messed up again. Not only is it expensive, but knocking out in implant often causes more damage than knocking out a real tooth. About the only time they have them fixed while still playing is if they have all of their teeth removed and go with removable false teeth.

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
Why would they go through all the trouble of getting implants and have them get messed up?
I'm sure they have the money but my goodness implants are thousands and thousands of dollars if you need multiple andyou get traditional ones not mini implants.
Its also an extremely long process depending on your mouth. ]
It took my dad a full 6 years between having to get bone grafts and healing time and getting the implant post s and healing time etc.
I'm sure as soon as an NHL player reti8reds they are all over it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom