NFL 2020-21 Discussion Thread

mf1972

I normally never stop watching the Super Bowl, but this is one of the worst ones in modern history in terms of the referees.
i didn’t agree with the 2 pass interference calls before the end of the half. i stopped watching after tampa scored again in the 3rd, & looked for scoring updates on my phone to see if i won on my grid 🤪

21stamps

Boring game. Hats off to Brady for the added ring.

Side note- The Cheetos commercial was my favorite, and I don’t even eat Cheetos.

Slpy3270

Not a good sign that we only have a few markets reporting SB ratings as of now when we would usually have the overall ratings by now.

PUSH

Original Poster
Defense wins you the game. And really the Chiefs defense made a lot of mistakes. That really doom them. Plus when the Chiefs Eric Fisher went down. Really it hurt not having him there. And no wonder Patrick M was have a rough time being protected.
The Bucs did get lucky in the fact that they were playing multiple backup linemen over the past couple games, especially both KC and GB missing their starting LTs, with GB's being the best pass blocking LT in the game. This is going to sound like a homer take, but the Bucs don't make the Super Bowl if David Bakhtiari doesn't get hurt in practice.

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

The Bucs did get lucky in the fact that they were playing multiple backup linemen over the past couple games, especially both KC and GB missing their starting LTs, with GB's being the best pass blocking LT in the game. This is going to sound like a homer take, but the Bucs don't make the Super Bowl if David Bakhtiari doesn't get hurt in practice.
Yes they would because green bay sucks and couldn't score a touchdown off 3 interceptions.

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

Let's see how the Bucs do in the playoffs against a team with a winning record before making such bold predictions.

Yeah, Brady did good this week, no denying that. But he was facing a 7-9 no named team and only led by 2 going into the 4th quarter.
You were saying....

PUSH

Original Poster
Super Bowl nets 96.4 million viewers, with 91.6 million watching through TV alone. Lowest since 2007.

These are bad, bad numbers. Lots of leverage CBS may have had in NFL renegotiations now lost.

A lot of factors went into that, I believe. The commercials have gotten pretty bad, and you lose people who watch for that. The matchup was pretty boring with redundant storylines. I've heard of several fair weather fans who didn't pay attention at all this season because it's "just not the same without fans". A lot of fantasy leagues never got started this year because they weren't sure how things were going to go with COVID, so you lost out on the fans who watch for fantasy during the regular season. The halftime show was one of the weaker headlines, so people who watch for the halftime show may not have wanted to tune in as much.

GimpYancIent

A lot of factors went into that, I believe. The commercials have gotten pretty bad, and you lose people who watch for that. The matchup was pretty boring with redundant storylines. I've heard of several fair weather fans who didn't pay attention at all this season because it's "just not the same without fans". A lot of fantasy leagues never got started this year because they weren't sure how things were going to go with COVID, so you lost out on the fans who watch for fantasy during the regular season. The halftime show was one of the weaker headlines, so people who watch for the halftime show may not have wanted to tune in as much.
Yes! Over hyped game. Only one commercial meant something, Toyota advertising (not cars) but the para-Olympics was it. The half time show was a meh.

That's just showing how skewed fans have become because of Tom Brady. Before Brady, winning one Super Bowl was enough. Now you're not even in the conversation for the best of all time unless you have three rings. That's a terrible perspective, IMO.
I agree with all of this, but I can't say Brady is the problem, it's the media creating competitions on who has the most Super Bowl gold. Brady has said numerous times, including this week, that he doesn't consider this a "race" to see who wins the most SBs, and that every win is unique and should be seen as just that. I even wonder if he is getting just as frustrated as you, and the rest of us over the media showing chart after chart, graph after graph, of who's the ringleaders of championships. Not saying Brady isn't enjoying the success he's achieved, but he's not the one waving the flag and flaunting the charts. I realize there's that image of him holding up his hands covered in rings, but to me that falls more in line with enjoying his success. When a sports newscaster starts comparing him to Manning, Montana, and others he's surpassed, he's quick to point out that each win is just that, and remind people they are still champions.

PUSH

Original Poster
I agree with all of this, but I can't say Brady is the problem, it's the media creating competitions on who has the most Super Bowl gold. Brady has said numerous times, including this week, that he doesn't consider this a "race" to see who wins the most SBs, and that every win is unique and should be seen as just that. I even wonder if he is getting just as frustrated as you, and the rest of us over the media showing chart after chart, graph after graph, of who's the ringleaders of championships. Not saying Brady isn't enjoying the success he's achieved, but he's not the one waving the flag and flaunting the charts. I realize there's that image of him holding up his hands covered in rings, but to me that falls more in line with enjoying his success. When a sports newscaster starts comparing him to Manning, Montana, and others he's surpassed, he's quick to point out that each win is just that, and remind people they are still champions.
I don't blame Brady... he should be proud of the rings. But the national media is terrible in the NFL. They are very click-bait driven, and they really don't know the teams like local media does. I may be spoiled with a large and fantastic group of local media for the Packers, but their insights are so much better than the national media takes. I've actually stopped paying attention to any takes by the national media on the Packers, because they are typically based in little truth, or overexaggerated comments. Point in case: the media saying Rodgers will be traded before next season. What they don't report is that Rodgers, Matt LaFleur, our GM Brian Gutekunst, and our team president Mark Murphy have all said he will be coming back next year, and they even said for years to come. But that doesn't get the clicks, so national reporters don't mention those comments.

As far as comparing QBs, you really have to look at the individuals. And I'm not sure many fans have actually watched the QBs game-in and game-out enough to truly tell who is the "greatest". Greatest means different things, too. Brady for his rings. Rodgers for his pure arm talent. Manning for his mental control of the game. You could go on and on.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom