NFL 2018 Discussion Thread

PUSH

Original Poster
Hello NFL fans!

It's time for the start of another season of professional football! This thread will take us all the way through the Super Bowl. Have fun!

PUSH

Original Poster
Found a site where you can predict every NFL game, so here is my totally incorrect record prediction for every team in the NFL. Next to the team I put their playoff seed if they made the playoffs.

AFC North
1. Steelers (13-3) (2)
2. Browns (8-8)
3. Ravens (6-10)
4. Bengals (5-11)

AFC South
1. Texans (13-3) (1)
2. Jaguars (11-5) (5)
3. Titans (8-8) (6)
4. Colts (6-10)

AFC East
1. Patriots (11-5) (4)
2. Dolphins (4-12)
3. Bills (2-14)
4. Jets (2-14)

AFC West
1. Chargers (11-5) (3)
2. Chiefs (6-10)
3. Raiders (6-10)
4. Broncos (4-12)

NFC North
1. Packers (13-3) (1)
2. Vikings (11-5) (5)
3. Lions (9-7)
4. Bears (6-10)

NFC South
1. Saints (12-4) (2)
2. Falcons (11-5) (6)
3. Panthers (7-9)
4. Buccaneers (4-12)

NFC East
1. Eagles (10-6) (4)
2. Redskins (8-8)
3. Cowboys (8-8)
4. Giants (7-9)

NFC West
1. Rams (12-4) (3)
2. 49ers (8-8)
3. Seahawks (8-8)
4. Cardinals (7-9)

That would put playoff seeds as...

AFC:
1. Texans
2. Steelers
3. Chargers
4. Patriots
5. Jaguars
6. Titans

NFC:
1. Packers
2. Saints
3. Rams
4. Eagles
5. Vikings
6. Falcons

OneofThree

Browns 8-8 and Ravens 6-10? I'd probably swap those, myself. I don't like 9 wins for the Lions with a new head coach/system. I also see the Falcons continuing to decline another year removed from Shanahan. Eli needs to go and I think they should have drafter a QB, but I think Barkley is the real deal, and it he goes off he'll set things up for the pass -maybe they pull off 8 or 9 wins. Talented but under-achieving defense as well. 49ers are a total wild card. They could 5-11, or all those FA acquisitions (Talib, Sherman, Nelson) and Jimmy G could see them pushing 9 or 10 wins. I hate to admit it, but I like NE for only 11, as you have them.

PUSH

Original Poster
Browns 8-8 and Ravens 6-10? I'd probably swap those, myself. I don't like 9 wins for the Lions with a new head coach/system. I also see the Falcons continuing to decline another year removed from Shanahan. Eli needs to go and I think they should have drafter a QB, but I think Barkley is the real deal, and it he goes off he'll set things up for the pass -maybe they pull off 8 or 9 wins. Talented but under-achieving defense as well. 49ers are a total wild card. They could 5-11, or all those FA acquisitions (Talib, Sherman, Nelson) and Jimmy G could see them pushing 9 or 10 wins. I hate to admit it, but I like NE for only 11, as you have them.
I am not very high on the Ravens this year. I just don't see tons there to be excited about. If I was ranking Flacco, he'd be in the bottom half of the league. I don't think Lamar Jackson is an immediate answer, either. Their receiving core has always left more to be desired. I see their offense ranking anywhere from 20-25.

The Browns, however, have added several new pieces that intrigue me. Tyrod Taylor is interesting and better than Flacco IMO. I also think if Mayfield plays this year, he's more ready than other rookie QBs. I think their running game will be good, too, with Carlos Hyde. Their defense is also underrated. I can see their offense being around league average, with their defense being above average.

I like the Falcons to bounce back this year with another year with the new OC. I think Ryan is a top 7 QB in this league, and I like their combination of RBs. I'm looking for Julio to have a bigger impact, especially with the addition of Ridley in the draft. I don't think they're Super Bowl bound, but I think they are legitimate playoff contenders.

With the 49ers, I look directly at Garoppolo. This team rests in his hands. It's a team that really doesn't have anything going for it, aside from a potentially great QB. Their starting RB just tore his ACL, so that altered me from thinking they're a playoff team. I think the offense could be above average, but their defense below average. But a true franchise QB can change everything. It's a wait and see season from them.

I like the Giants to get better this season. I think with OBJ back, Manning will do better, but I still think he's a shell of his former self. I like Barkley to lead this offense and turn the offense into a power offense. On defense, they aren't far removed from being one of the best units in football, and while I don't think they'll get back to that, I think they can finish as a top 10 unit.

A lot of these record come down to individual schedules. Like the Falcons were the 3rd seed in their division last year, so they get an easier schedule this year. The Patriots record is much better than what they would be if I had any confidence in the other 3 teams in their division. Unfortunately I can make a legitimate argument for each team picking #1 in the draft next year.

NYwdwfan

Found a site where you can predict every NFL game, so here is my totally incorrect record prediction for every team in the NFL. Next to the team I put their playoff seed if they made the playoffs.

AFC North
1. Steelers (13-3) (2)
2. Browns (8-8)
3. Ravens (6-10)
4. Bengals (5-11)

AFC South
1. Texans (13-3) (1)
2. Jaguars (11-5) (5)
3. Titans (8-8) (6)
4. Colts (6-10)

AFC East
1. Patriots (11-5) (4)
2. Dolphins (4-12)
3. Bills (2-14)
4. Jets (2-14)

AFC West
1. Chargers (11-5) (3)
2. Chiefs (6-10)
3. Raiders (6-10)
4. Broncos (4-12)

NFC North
1. Packers (13-3) (1)
2. Vikings (11-5) (5)
3. Lions (9-7)
4. Bears (6-10)

NFC South
1. Saints (12-4) (2)
2. Falcons (11-5) (6)
3. Panthers (7-9)
4. Buccaneers (4-12)

NFC East
1. Eagles (10-6) (4)
2. Redskins (8-8)
3. Cowboys (8-8)
4. Giants (7-9)

NFC West
1. Rams (12-4) (3)
2. 49ers (8-8)
3. Seahawks (8-8)
4. Cardinals (7-9)

That would put playoff seeds as...

AFC:
1. Texans
2. Steelers
3. Chargers
4. Patriots
5. Jaguars
6. Titans

NFC:
1. Packers
2. Saints
3. Rams
4. Eagles
5. Vikings
6. Falcons
2 games?! We’re good for at least 4. The Jets usually win just enough to not get the first draft pick.

PUSH

Original Poster
2 games?! We’re good for at least 4. The Jets usually win just enough to not get the first draft pick.
I think what I did is gave a win for the Bills and Dolphins when at home. But the Jets have a tough schedule this year. Pats twice, Packers, Vikings, Lions, Texans, Jaguars, Titans, and a couple others that really depend on QB play like the Colts, Bears, and Broncos. I think they'll get more than 2 wins, but I just went strictly with who I thought was better. Not many upsets chosen.

PUSH

Original Poster
I'll think about it... the start of the NFL season is also the start of crazy-busy life season for me, and I dropped out of another pick'em league because it became more of a hassle for me to remember to do it. And I know it will bother me if I don't have time to make my picks for a week.

Tick Tock

Falcons only blew a 3-point lead they had at halftime, so last night's loss doesn't count as a "Choke", considering how close a game it was.
They're headed in the right direction.
mry1.jpg

Dad 2 M & M

Falcons only blew a 3-point lead they had at halftime, so last night's loss doesn't count as a "Choke", considering how close a game it was.
They're headed in the right direction.
View attachment 310696
Heard that....huge Falcons fan here......Same ole same ole!

A couple of notes:

Offense
1) There is STILL a sizeable disconnect with Matt and Julio in the red Zone. Matt's interception looked terrible as they clearly were not on the same page. Last play was timing and there was little chance for that play to work
2) Devonta Freeman - what is the deal here? Decent running back, but Tevon Coleman should be getting more snaps. Get the feeling Sark might be intimidated by Devonta's locker room presense
3) Austin Hooper - Another decent player, and probably best Tight End option. He has issues with running his routes....as he tends to guarantee you 6 yards on 3rd & 8. Another is his inability to shake ANY tackle or muscle through plays. Maybe those 6 yard 3rd down plays were supposed to be a 6 yard catch with a fight for the final yards? Not much of a bruiser at Tight End
4) Matt Ryan - as in the past, there was a obvious difference after Chris Long's roughing the passer hit....it didn't look to be terrible, but Matt was different after the hit....was it called because it was low hit? Anywho, a play or two later, Matt ran the ball and had to have his knee brace replaced......seemed to be shaken........New Orleans is famous for late hits to Matt (and getting in his head), and it works EVERY time

Defense
1) Gave the Falcon's Offense ample opportunity last night....
2) Secondary has not been the same since Jaylen Collins was released last year (three time PED violator). He started the last season suspended, and was released following end of suspension. There must be more to the story as he was the best corner we had and is still a Free Agent....why hasn't someone taken a flyer on this dude....again, must be more to the story
3) DL is REALLY small...while they held the Philly Offense to 18 points, they were fatigued in the 3rd and 4th qtrs. Tak McKinnley twice had to assisted off the field....the second time might have been to slow Philly's tempo.
4) Vic Beasley - see #3 above....is really a linebacker, not a DE. He will get a few sacks, but only circling to the back of the pocket, not driving the pile. The interior of the line is not going to collapse the pocket and press any QB back to Vic's area of attack. He might be the odd man out in next year's signings. Many rookie contracts are concluding, including Keanu Neal, Deondra Campbell, Deion Jones to name a few....they are not going to pay all four of them. Last note on Beasley - when the falcons began to get hot in 2016, they played Los Angeles Rams in game 10 or 11, in LA. Beasley had a pick 6, and tried to slam the ball over the cross bar; he landed awkward, and did something to his knee(that is the game that Jeff Fischer was dismissed). He has been in decline since....

Still have high hopes for the Falcons this year, but this window is closing and 2019 might see it shut...

**edit** Dude, you said "Falcons only blew a 3-point lead they had at halftime"....that is TWO compliments, not ONE!! You must not recall, the Falcons WON the 3rd quarter of the Super Bowl!! Score was 21-3 at halftime, and 28-9 at the end of the 3rd quarter. We won the 3rd quarter 7-6, so we blew MORE than a halftime lead......and we should get something for that, correct? Dah hee HEE

Last edited:

Dad 2 M & M

Watched the game at the Mercedes Stadium last night, as they had a season kick-off celebration. It was nice as we were able to tour the locker rooms, and had full access to the field. On the field you could have your photo taken with cut-outs of Julio, Devonta, and Matt Ryan....Matt Ryan's cut out rarely had anyone in line. Pretty cool of the Falcons for having something as such.....

The saddest display was the Lombardi Trophy (I know it wasn't THE trophy).....you could get your photo made with the trophy? Yes really.....I couldn't do it as we have to win the thing BEFORE I'd ever even ponder that.........line was way way way long.....like 7 Dwarfs Mine Train Long

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom