Next January trip planning

sittle

Ahh... it feels good to login again.

We are planning a trip next January. We are from Ontario Canada and travelling in the dead of winter to the most magical place on earth is so rewarding, especially when it's quiet. It's been 4 long years since our last visit and it is time... Some would even say "Now is the best time"! LOL!

I know right now (week leading up to Mardi Gras/ week of Feb 5th) it's busy in the parks. 2019 Mardi Gras doesn't land until early March.

I know also to avoid MLK/Presidents day as it gets busy too... That is January 21st next year.

To maximize themepark quietness, should we be looking on Jan 26/27? ... Do you think late Jan/Early Feb of 2019 are going to be fairly quiet?

Are there any other events there we should be avoiding that are new?

sittle

Original Poster
They spend hours upon hours compiling that data. Why should they give it away for free? I've been a paid subscriber and I buy their book every year and I certainly feel that I get my money's worth

I'm not really here to discuss the ethics of selling data that someone else (Disney) is compiling, that was never my concern. I did point out that a lot of people on Reddit are currently questioning the merit and accuracy of Touring Plans... Which is why I am here.

I've asked people for their personal opinions or if they knew of any other events that might get planned for next late Jan 2019.... or if the people think it'll be fairly quiet.

Upvote 0

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
I'm not really here to discuss the ethics of selling data that someone else (Disney) is compiling, that was never my concern. I did point out that a lot of people on Reddit are currently questioning the merit and accuracy of Touring Plans... Which is why I am here.

I've asked people for their personal opinions or if they knew of any other events that might get planned for next late Jan 2019.... or if the people think it'll be fairly quiet.
With all due respect, the people on Reddit don't know what they're talking about.

Honestly, what are you talking about "Disney's data"? TouringPlans does not sell Disney's data, they sell their own data.

You came and asked a question. You didn't like the answer you got so you started disparaging an organization that's extremely well-respected around here.

Upvote 0

sittle

Original Poster
You came and asked a question.

You're right about this, and I asked their personal opinions or if they knew of any other events that might get planned for next late Jan 2019.... or if the people think it'll be fairly quiet.

If you have an issue about people distrusting TouringPlans, you can hold your tongue or drop me a private message.

Upvote 0

BraveGirl

Last year we went the last weekend in January, this year we went the 18th-23rd. It was less crowded last year, but I think both were good weekends to go.

Upvote 0

sittle

Original Poster
Last year we went the last weekend in January, this year we went the 18th-23rd. It was less crowded last year, but I think both were good weekends to go.
Thanks!

Did you use a lot of FP+'s?

Did you stand in the regular lines...? ... What were those wait times like?

Upvote 0

yensid67

For knowing the crowd levels, its more vice versa than it use to be...since tier pricing, the slow season is now the peak season and peak season is now low season! I am sure Disney has crowd information somewhere on their site(?) Someone here can answer that! (undercovertourist.com) also has crowd levels. According to them, the parks are LOW-MODERATE in crowd levels (Jan-26-Feb 2) except for a HIGH ranking on Jan 26.

Upvote 0

BraveGirl

Thanks!

Did you use a lot of FP+'s?

Did you stand in the regular lines...? ... What were those wait times like?

We did use all our fast passes, and some regular lines were crazy (like FOP this time had 2-5 hour waits). But some were great. You just have to be strategic (ie, don't wast a top tier FP on a ride that has single rider, get there before rope drop and go to your top non-FP choice, stay till closing etc).

Upvote 0

sittle

Original Poster
We did use all our fast passes, and some regular lines were crazy (like FOP this time had 2-5 hour waits). But some were great. You just have to be strategic (ie, don't wast a top tier FP on a ride that has single rider, get there before rope drop and go to your top non-FP choice, stay till closing etc).

Wow... 2 to 5 hour.. nuts.

Thank you for the feedback, much appreciated!

Upvote 0

wendysue

We went Jan. 24 - Jan. 30 and found it to be quite busy. Wait times for Soarin were between 75 and 125 minutes both days that we were at Epcot. Similar wait times for Big Thunder and Seven dwarfs mine train at MK and also for Toy Story at HS.
Next year we will try February, but not Presidents Day. Maybe the first week or later in the month. Overall, we had a good time, though.

Upvote 0

wdworlandlover

I was just down there (I live in Alabama) January 11-14. I realized after booking my trip it was MLK Jr. weekend but the crowds weren’t too bad overall. I feel like if we had gone several days earlier it would have been better, though. That would have put us right after the Marathon but before the holiday weekend. As sad as I always am to leave Disney and head home, I will say I was ready to leave when we did on the 14th. Hoardes of band groups were arriving that day. They were everywhere!

Upvote 0

sittle

Original Poster
We went Jan. 24 - Jan. 30 and found it to be quite busy. Wait times for Soarin were between 75 and 125 minutes both days that we were at Epcot. Similar wait times for Big Thunder and Seven dwarfs mine train at MK and also for Toy Story at HS.
Next year we will try February, but not Presidents Day. Maybe the first week or later in the month. Overall, we had a good time, though.

Wow, really?? Do you guys vacation typically in January? ... If so did you find the volume to be more so than in years past?

Upvote 0

sittle

Original Poster
I was just down there (I live in Alabama) January 11-14. I realized after booking my trip it was MLK Jr. weekend but the crowds weren’t too bad overall. I feel like if we had gone several days earlier it would have been better, though. That would have put us right after the Marathon but before the holiday weekend. As sad as I always am to leave Disney and head home, I will say I was ready to leave when we did on the 14th. Hoardes of band groups were arriving that day. They were everywhere!

We were contemplating going earlier, but with the let down after Christmas, we thought it'd be best to have a little down time and look forward to our magical trip!

Band groups..? ... Were they arriving to your resort or park?

Upvote 0

wdworlandlover

We were contemplating going earlier, but with the let down after Christmas, we thought it'd be best to have a little down time and look forward to our magical trip!

We stayed at Pop Century this trip. When we headed through the lobby to get to the ME bus, it was difficult to get through all the piles of luggage, instruments, and people arriving. The kids looked to be middle school through high school ages.

Upvote 0

wdworlandlover

I also should have added that the NCAA cheerleading and dance competitions were going on the same weekend we were there. They were busy competing most of the time, but Saturday night began to make a presence in the parks.

Upvote 0

wendysue

Wow, really?? Do you guys vacation typically in January? ... If so did you find the volume to be more so than in years past?
We have gone several times in January and found that the last couple years have been much busier. Also, a few years ago we would go in Sept. and Oct. and actually be ALONE on some buses, but the last few years it has been super busy those times. Not sure if there is a less busy time any longer.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom