Next January trip planning

sittle

Ahh... it feels good to login again.

We are planning a trip next January. We are from Ontario Canada and travelling in the dead of winter to the most magical place on earth is so rewarding, especially when it's quiet. It's been 4 long years since our last visit and it is time... Some would even say "Now is the best time"! LOL!

I know right now (week leading up to Mardi Gras/ week of Feb 5th) it's busy in the parks. 2019 Mardi Gras doesn't land until early March.

I know also to avoid MLK/Presidents day as it gets busy too... That is January 21st next year.

To maximize themepark quietness, should we be looking on Jan 26/27? ... Do you think late Jan/Early Feb of 2019 are going to be fairly quiet?

Are there any other events there we should be avoiding that are new?

sittle

Original Poster
Most years, MLK is the week immediately following the Marathon, but there's a two week gap this time. There's a nice sweet spot in there. If I were going, I'd book something like January 14 - 22.

I hadn't thought about that, good point. I know normally the time you mentioned and the end of Jan/start of Feb are dead... Do you think this is likely to be the case?

Has anything really changed over the past years at Disney?

I know a lot of people say that the low season is no longer the low season because of all the tour groups from SA and overseas vactioners, on our past Jan/Feb trips, we never really felt it was busy, but that was in 2013.... Has a lot changed in terms of park attendance?

Upvote 0

becca_

I was just there Jan 16-22, which was right after MLK day. I didn't find the parks to be crazy busy but it was 100% busier than it used to be in Jan (say 2010/2011). It wasn't too awful though, lots of 20 min wait times for smaller attractions but also some 40-60 min waits, an hour after park opening, for bigger rides (Big Thunder, etc). I'd still take that over June/July times!

Upvote 0

sittle

Original Poster
Thank you Becca_ , yeah, I've been during the News Years Eve/Day time and it's absolutely insane, perhaps I should simply be thankful for the oppourtunity to not have to visit during June/July. I'm Canadian, that humidity and heat would do me no good!

Question, are you local to the parks or do you come from out of state?

Upvote 0

becca_

Thank you Becca_ , yeah, I've been during the News Years Eve/Day time and it's absolutely insane, perhaps I should simply be thankful for the oppourtunity to not have to visit during June/July. I'm Canadian, that humidity and heat would do me no good!

Question, are you local to the parks or do you come from out of state?
I live in Buffalo, NY :)

Upvote 0

Cmdr_Crimson

Having been a Jan/Feb Veteran and just came back from my trip a day ago I can say it was far busier than I have encountered in the past 7 years of going.....Rides that had a wait of 20 mins were doubled or even rides that really never seen use of an extended queue was actually used...I was shocked to see Dinosaur at a 75 min wait and it went through the Statue garden on the far right...With Pro Bowl now in Orlando (JAN 27th 2019 for the curious) It not only brought guests to see the game but to stay in WDW...This also doesn't include the mass of Tour Groups, Cheerleading competitons, and Super Bowl winner parade making it way more congested for the two weeks I was there...

I'm still planning to go back once again but, this time I'm pushing it down a little into February and instead of staying at Pop I'm considering a Moderate hotel...For some reason the Tour Groups and Cheerleader took more of a percentage compared to regular guests. Seeing Port Orleans for the first time made me make this decision...

Upvote 0

sittle

Original Poster
Having been a Jan/Feb Veteran and just came back from my trip a day ago I can say it was far busier than I have encountered in the past 7 years of going.....Rides that had a wait of 20 mins were doubled or even rides that really never seen use of an extended queue was actually used...I was shocked to see Dinosaur at a 75 min wait and it went through the Statue garden on the far right...With Pro Bowl now in Orlando (JAN 27th 2019 for the curious) It not only brought guests to see the game but to stay in WDW...This also doesn't include the mass of Tour Groups, Cheerleading competitons, and Super Bowl winner parade making it way more congested for the two weeks I was there...

I'm still planning to go back once again but, this time I'm pushing it down a little into February and instead of staying at Pop I'm considering a Moderate hotel...For some reason the Tour Groups and Cheerleader took more of a percentage compared to regular guests. Seeing Port Orleans for the first time made me make this decision...

Sounds like things are really picking up down there at WDW!

How long was your recent trip?

Upvote 0

yensid67

I really don't know, I just found them EARLY this morning on a whim! I am going to look at their site again now that I am awake! I will let you know what I think!

I just looked on their website and they have a book on Amazon, Easy Guide to Your Walt Disney World Visit 2018...the reviews give it high marks for a good planning tool. So I would assume their information is correct!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

sittle

Original Poster
What does that mean? "Before they sold their data"?

When touring plans started out years ago, they collected Disney's data and arranged it into their system that ranked the volume of days based upon the collected data.

They used to give people free access to that data, now they sell the data to members. Only paying members can see their collected data months in advance. They profit off of the data.

Upvote 0

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
When touring plans started out years ago, they collected Disney's data and arranged it into their system that ranked the volume of days based upon the collected data.

They used to give people free access to that data, now they sell the data to members. Only paying members can see their collected data months in advance. They profit off of the data.
They spend hours upon hours compiling that data. Why should they give it away for free? I've been a paid subscriber and I buy their book every year and I certainly feel that I get my money's worth

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom