Next Disney Resort: An etc98 Dream Resort

spacemt354

Chili's
Thanks, it means a lot. I think I've posted all the big picture stuff, so I'll get back to the smaller scale and continue with the tour of Disneyland next time. Adventureland is next. Don't know when, it could come tomorrow, it could come three months from now, it just depends on when I have time and the creative juices are flowing. Those two things never seem to coincide. But stay tuned!
I'll be sure to! I enjoy reading individual threads with people's own unique ideas. Everyone has a different flare and I like how you use the computer graphics to elaborate your descriptions. It's really well done!

Twilight_Roxas

I thought would be a good idea incase Seasons of the Force is in the Magic Kingdom along with Marvel having a event with a Space Mountain overlay theme to Guardians of the Galaxy.

etc98

Original Poster
I thought would be a good idea incase Seasons of the Force is in the Magic Kingdom along with Marvel having a event with a Space Mountain overlay theme to Guardians of the Galaxy.
One of the main goals of this resort is coherence. It's part of why the resort is so big. Each idea gets its own themed area, and everything in that area fits the theme. It's not just shoehorned in where it doesn't fit. I just don't think Star Wars and Marvel fit in the Galactic Expo of 3055. Especially since Star Wars and Marvel each have their own lands in another park, there's no reason for them in Disneyland.

etc98

Original Poster
I think this is a good time to talk about IP. I guess I haven't finished all the big picture stuff yet.

Disney's IP is immensely valuable. But it has to be used properly. It cannot be shoehorned into places it doesn't fit. There are two ways IP is used in this resort. The difference is a little difficult to explain, but it is important. It depends on whether the IP is the theme or the IP supports the theme of the land. To me, the land is the main driver of theme. Everything in the land must be coherent for the land to feel real. The park just holds similarly themed lands, but the land is the most important. So this describes how IP is used to keep the theme of lands coherent.

In some lands, such as Fantasyland or all of Disney Adventure, the IP is the theme. The story is real. You really are in Arrendale or Pandora or any of the other lands. This is the type of land that is in style now, like Cars Land, WWoHP, SWL, and lands like that.

However, in other lands, like Tomorrowland, or all of Disney Earth, the IP supports the theme. So, for example, an African village in Disney Earth. The IP used, The Lion King, supports the theme. The land itself recognizes that the IP is not real, that it is just a story. The Lion King is not real, it is only a story that the theater in the African village is performing. This is what allows IP attractions to fit in non-IP based lands. I think this adds depth to the land and makes it seem more real.

But of course, the IP placement must fit in the land in which it is placed. This is why I am comfortable with adding Buzz Lightyear to Tomorrowland, but not Star Wars or Marvel. Even if it's not entirely logical to have Buzz, a character from a movie about toys, be the mascot of a future company of space rangers, it fits, at least in my head. But doing something like Seasons of the Force or a Marvel event in Tomorrowland, that to me doesn't fit. It isn't coherent, it doesn't make sense that all the different participants in a Galactic Expo would overlay their attractions to showcase a film that came out thousands of years ago, because of course, Tomorrowland does not treat other IP as real. They are just stories, and in the case of Tomorrowland, stories that came out a long, long time ago. Even with Buzz, he is the centuries-old mascot of the Space Rangers. He is not real, he is just a story.

Sorry I got a little conceptual, I hope I wrote that in a way that at least makes a little bit of sense.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom